Farmer talk

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just finished last night. Wheat is gonna be a number 1 on the early stuff and a 2 on the last stuff. Glad this year is over. Hopefully we don't get shut out on rain for a third year in a row next year.

My dad kept saying that October was the month he did most of his combining. Im starting to believe this is coming full circle again. Sure glad I set up a dryer.

Last edited:

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So any idea what a guy has to do for getting the hired man a class one?

Are farms exempt?

Is there gonna be a farm version of a class one?

Or should I fork out $10k for MELT training?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Are farms exempt?

I think UCP wants to exempt farmers but Humboldt folks aren't having it. They met with Ric MacIver last week to express their displeasure. MacIver said they are still considering it.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think UCP wants to exempt farmers but Humboldt folks aren't having it. They met with Ric MacIver last week to express their displeasure. MacIver said they are still considering it.
For commercial class 1 I get it.
First time with big iron for alot of those guys.

But a farmer can kill someone with a combine or a class 3 truck just as easily.

Limit the farmer version to farm plated trucks only. Problem solved.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
38BBEFEB-246D-4C72-B9EC-1DEE75817575.jpeg https://www.drumhelleronline.com/lo...VKXDwVaSs__VxZfTfoP2tdG-fdD6nSs0mFQ6IU6yISPPQ

Cattle thieves near Drumheller please spread the word.

Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright already, somebody get mother nature a new bowl of cereal and who ever is pissing in her bowl can go **** off.

How is harvest going up north percentage wise? I was there 2 weeks ago and looked like about 50%.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some have missed the rain/snow and got a week of good going. They are just about done. Others like myself just get to a place where we can go and it pisses on us again. Very frustrating. Combines are at half capacity burning twice the fuel. Other than a few that swathed Canola I don't think anybody has taken in anything dry.

My Canola had just got to 12 before this. A week prior it was still uncured and 14-15. Wheat had got to 16 a couple times but never dry.

The dryer has done about 150000 bushels and has another (assuming I can get it) 100000 of canola to dry.

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a few un-happy farmers up In my neck of the woods. I would say 2 inches of wet snow this morning after rain all night. Feel for you guys.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Are farms exempt?

Far as I know you can get exemption to still take old class 1, then just need to retest under MELT but not take actual MELT program.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For commercial class 1 I get it.
First time with big iron for alot of those guys.

But a farmer can kill someone with a combine or a class 3 truck just as easily.

Limit the farmer version to farm plated trucks only. Problem solved.

Doing a blanket requirement on everything is retarded. Many class 1 drivers will never use a log book, or any real form of load securement why do they need it? It should be a separate course required if you use it for your job. And why only class 1? You can get to nearly 63,500kg on a class 3 with a tandem tridrive and a triple axle trailer with electric brakes. And quite frankly just make the test harder, if you can show you're capable of handling it you shouldn't need the training. A guy who has had a class 3 for 10 years doesn't need a 100 hour course to start driving a class 1 vehicle, it could be exactly the same as they are driving now just air on the trailer which means fawk all. I think you're going to see a big sales increase on electric brake trailers and many people trying to do away with class 1 vehicles and go to class 3. Obviously not a option in many cases but will be with others.

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doing a blanket requirement on everything is retarded. Many class 1 drivers will never use a log book, or any real form of load securement why do they need it? It should be a separate course required if you use it for your job. And why only class 1? You can get to nearly 63,500kg on a class 3 with a tandem tridrive and a triple axle trailer with electric brakes. And quite frankly just make the test harder, if you can show you're capable of handling it you shouldn't need the training. A guy who has had a class 3 for 10 years doesn't need a 100 hour course to start driving a class 1 vehicle, it could be exactly the same as they are driving now just air on the trailer which means fawk all. I think you're going to see a big sales increase on electric brake trailers and many people trying to do away with class 1 vehicles and go to class 3. Obviously not a option in many cases but will be with others.

I have to agree, I’ve had my class 3 for 17 years, I can’t imagine I’d need to take the 10k course!!

Top Bottom