Farmer talk

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Farmers in Canada are legally allowed to grow up to four plants each. On a good year, it’s possible to earn $500-$5,000. Why not? Beer money!
Might be hard to convince a 75 year old farmer but times are a changing! Heck, them old guys prolly been doing it for 40years already!
Haha, I don't think Cargill will take my 4 plants.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What swather header size vs the straight cut header size?

I have often thought it would be faster straight cutting canola cause there would really be no piles to slow down for and it it pretty much all thrashed before it hits the feeder housing.

We had a 30ft swather which was defiantly part of the problem. We run 40ft straight cut headers that average 15-20 acres/hr. The 30ft Swather wasn't enough to fill the combine, however going faster wasn't an option as it would just cause more problems when you hit lumps in the swath. The real advantage is when the snow shows up. We have found the last two years that we were out in the field sooner. One year it was too wet to hold traction and we could still keep moving. Running it through the drier of course but snow wasn't a factor. I find the snow hides in the shade in the swath and doesn't melt.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had a 30ft swather which was defiantly part of the problem. We run 40ft straight cut headers that average 15-20 acres/hr. The 30ft Swather wasn't enough to fill the combine, however going faster wasn't an option as it would just cause more problems when you hit lumps in the swath. The real advantage is when the snow shows up. We have found the last two years that we were out in the field sooner. One year it was too wet to hold traction and we could still keep moving. Running it through the drier of course but snow wasn't a factor. I find the snow hides in the shade in the swath and doesn't melt.
And 36ft swath takes forever to dry.

We tried straight cut headers about 15 years ago and I think I am finally ready to take the plunge again.
Hearing good news stories like this helps.

Technology has come along ways with flex headers and shatter resistant canola.

Now if I could just get the pre harvest to kill my wheat......

But I guess pre harvest will be banned soon so maybe I'll just keep swathing.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And 36ft swath takes forever to dry.

We tried straight cut headers about 15 years ago and I think I am finally ready to take the plunge again.
Hearing good news stories like this helps.

Technology has come along ways with flex headers and shatter resistant canola.

Now if I could just get the pre harvest to kill my wheat......

But I guess pre harvest will be banned soon so maybe I'll just keep swathing.

We are the only part of the world that doesn't have a registered Desiccant. Humour yourself and search up Glufosinate-ammonium and what its registered for in Eastern Canada and Most of the USA. I would much rather use anything other than Glyphosate but we don't have options. Reglone is not a registered for wheat either as far as I know and from what I hear the people that make these changes only meet briefly every 2 years and make hard decisions every 7 years. A true desiccant stops the plant from breathing essentially where as Glyphosate is taken into the plant. Dont get me wrong we use a lot of Glyphosate but the true problems in the world are the ones using it improperly such as spraying your crops to early which is happening more and more each year this year being a good one.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are the only part of the world that doesn't have a registered Desiccant. Humour yourself and search up Glufosinate-ammonium and what its registered for in Eastern Canada and Most of the USA. I would much rather use anything other than Glyphosate but we don't have options. Reglone is not a registered for wheat either as far as I know and from what I hear the people that make these changes only meet briefly every 2 years and make hard decisions every 7 years. A true desiccant stops the plant from breathing essentially where as Glyphosate is taken into the plant. Dont get me wrong we use a lot of Glyphosate but the true problems in the world are the ones using it improperly such as spraying your crops to early which is happening more and more each year this year being a good one.

I personally have an ethical issue with delivering grain that is above 0 ppm of glyphosate residue on the seed.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
About 85 percent done. Just flax and safflower left. I heard Edmonton area is more like 15 percent finished. Too much rain.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey does anyone have approx 500 mt of milling rye? Looking for some for a good client of ours. Tks Dennis

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im about 20% done. Things are just not progressing. We need a little warmer dryer weather. Taking wheat at 18-20% moisture and drying it. we did get down to 16.5% but it rained last night and this afternoon. We are sitting again.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im about 20% done. Things are just not progressing. We need a little warmer dryer weather. Taking wheat at 18-20% moisture and drying it. we did get down to 16.5% but it rained last night and this afternoon. We are sitting again.
Same boat here.
Drying every bushel.
Wheat is running over 100, which is nice.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finished the wheat 2 nights ago, moisture around 16-19, averaged around 60 and all a #2 so we were happy just got into some canola but its just on the wdge of being ready and just finsihed swathing our resseeded stuff on the weekend so we need a few good weeks yet

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just finished last night. Wheat is gonna be a number 1 on the early stuff and a 2 on the last stuff. Glad this year is over. Hopefully we don't get shut out on rain for a third year in a row next year.

Top Bottom