Farmer talk

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought you have to give your legal land discription to buy roundup and 24-D products. Dad picked u a jug of 24-D and thought he mentioned something about it. Not sure after two years as memory usually good or 24-36hr. Maybe it was just the 24-D?

I haven't had to give my legal in a while but in town everybody knows who I am, so not needed. However when I go somewhere that I don't frequent often I have had to give my legal when buying chemical. I'm sure that there are rules against selling high concentrate chemical to the local public. If there wasn't it would be on the shelves at wall-mart. Most don't understand that a cap full of the high concentrate chemical is enough to spray a average front lawn in town. I have seen lots that have gotten there hands on high concentrate chemical and mixed a batch and sprayed the dandelions on the front lawn only to burn there lawn for a couple years.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First quarter of peas done... We thought we'd be lucky to get 30/bu with only 3 inches of rain.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's lots of guys hoping to make 20bu/ac on peas. 48 is pretty good Id say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Winter wheat running just over 40 here I heard. Not bad for 3 inches of rain. I was figuring 20-25. Nice surprise and hope it translates to the spring crops.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Peas finished, just over twenty.. Lentals should average 15 or slightly better, be on wheat and durum in next week

over all not that great a crop, less than most thought.. One of them years

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What would farmers do if they knew to expect as little rain as we had this year?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What would farmers do if they knew to expect as little rain as we had this year?

irrigation_pivot.jpg

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Straight cutting malt barley on irrigation today. Hard red spring wheat not far off either and then durum. Last year I swathed 240 acres of barley and then got 7 inches of rain on it so I'm trying to learn from that mistake. I don't think it will rain though considering the weather so far.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like some nasty storms today and tomorrow with watches already out. Watch the skies..

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if we might see a shift to different crops more suited to these conditions.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everything goes in cycles. 2-3 years of dry then back to the good ole days. Hoppers are starting to show some numbers. Could be fun next year.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen a grasshopper in the combine tank for 6 years. But this year there are a couple. When I was a kid there used to be almost as many grasshoppers as grain. This years crop is just proof of what you can do with a bit of subsoil moisture. If it's dry again next year it will be trouble.

Heard Calgary got hail yesterday.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what hay is going for these days? Parents have roughly 80-90 round bales they'll need to get rid of

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen a grasshopper in the combine tank for 6 years. But this year there are a couple. When I was a kid there used to be almost as many grasshoppers as grain. This years crop is just proof of what you can do with a bit of subsoil moisture. If it's dry again next year it will be trouble.

Heard Calgary got hail yesterday.

Big swath of hail between Calgary and Strathmore favoring the north, along Country Hills blvd. Thankfully nothing farther south.

Top Bottom