Farmer talk

Bounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WHats average yield and price for flax these days. Haven't grown it in years.

Had fields over 50 bushel, will average 45 bushel. Have a contract for 50% at $13.00/bushel. Stamps seed farm, grew cdc glass.

Have all straw bales sold, feeling blessed.

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had fields over 50 bushel, will average 45 bushel. Have a contract for 50% at $13.00/bushel. Stamps seed farm, grew cdc glass.

Have all straw bales sold, feeling blessed.

Thats some impressive yields! What price did you get for flax straw? We have always just burned ours, it's hard to find anyone to buy it

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I grow yellow mustard. 25-30 bu/acre at $19/bu. Best crop to grow. No bugs, less fert requirement than canola and straight cut only. Cheap to grow with big return.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grew yellow in the past, just found when I was having a 25/bu crop of yellow, my canola was doing 50 plus, and both had same grocery package

found grading harder with yellow and not as many trustworthy buyers... But then take it to 60 cents a lb and I will grow it again

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally got back grading from Montana, falling numbers for majority above the 320, hvk for most above 75... Proteins in the 16s but test weight low as 55lbs

some real lucertive prices south of the line compared to locally if proteins and falling numbers are hi... Let the trucks warm up:(

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had it graded number 1 everyyear for last 15 years except 1 year when it was froze in October hard. Finally found a buyer that is great to deal with but yes earlier on there were some shady operations to deal with. One east of Lethbridge for sure.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sold some a few weeks back to Columbia grain, 12.50 us a bu, this was on old crop... Can pay off grain storage in a hurry

lots of durum this year grading three and worse because of sprouts, it really paid off to seed early and be able to get that extra week of thrashing in before the monsoon started...

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was offered $13 a bushel for #1 durum of ANY protien. Not a single acre of durum this year. Guess what everyone is seeding next year? Ha ha. Almost thinking about selling our bin of cleaned seed.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So true... Lots of guys with crappy durum that will be selling into the seed market since good is so exspensive

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of the durum in our area is junk. There's the odd 3 some 5 and lots of sample and salvage. Big thing is vomi, makes it worth nothing. Some of ours graded a 5 supposed to go this week. Managed to unload a bin that had high vomi content happy it's gone
we have about 20,000 bu. of durum, rs wheat from last yr.
Should fetch a premium price I'm hoping. Maybe even sell for seed to guys we'll see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am out of storage and need to build a shed. Want something at least 100' x 150' . Anyone have any advice? Pole shed vs metal structure?

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put up a 70x170x 20 Steel shed a few years back, went with bi fold doors on either end that are 18 by 34 wide, my intention was to be a cold storage unit so went with side panel lighting... I had no plans to concrete it so building was installed on piles under each 28foot beam instead of concrete footings.... Total building under 150k

I used 1/2 road crush inside and packed down with packers, had went threw steel smith in the PA... Had building package installed by local contractor

things I would change.... Go to a 40 by 18 door... Have doors mover to one side of building compared to center, and concrete footings, so weather does not undermine building over time

Transporter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone know anything about the farm by spruce Grove that had the second case of bse in their cows.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There has been a second case on the same farm.. How do these guys keep getting away with it, farm needs to be leveled

anyone know anything about the farm by spruce Grove that had the second case of bse in their cows.

Transporter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know if it's a dairy farm or wtf and who he is and What he's feeding those cattle.

Top Bottom