Everyone learn from our mistakes!

pipeliner72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Xmas day we were having family over for dinner and and a afternoon of sledding around home.My brother brought his two day old m 1000 he was pretty anxious to ride it so there wasn,t much visiting me him and our two boys suited up and left town the first field we came to we started to cruise halfway through the field the coast looked clear so we picked up the pace and my bros opened up his m1000 with me not far behind on my gade 1000 (the two boys followed behind on their own machines) out of nowhere came a drainage ditch i had time to get my machine slowed down a little and jumped pretty far my brother wasn,t so lucky he hit it real hard he launched in the air who knows how high.When he came to rest(180 feet from the ditch) his helmet was ripped off and was rolling around on the ground with a injured back and a bleeding nose he was in a lot of pain my first instinct was to call 911 he was in so much pain he just wanted to get to the hospital i went home got my truck loaded him up and took him to the hospital after xrays it turns out he has a broken back and is at the royal alex hospital waiting to hear if he needs surgery or if a brace will work here are some of the things that would have kept this from happening and what should have been done after the fact.

1)We should have had a discussion about where we wer,e going and some of the hazzards we might have encountered.
2)We should have made a safe run through the field made sure it was clear then turned around and opened it up.
3)We never should have moved him we should have stabalised him and called a ambulance.

In this case we got very lucky we didn,t damage his spinal cord when we moved him he is expected to make a full recovery it will just take a long time to heal up.Everyone plan your ride,ride safe and come home in one piece.

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear that he will be OK. It's a good lesson for us ALL, to know our riding area, and to make sure it is safe. Hope he has a speedy recovery. :d

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow! I hope he has a speedy recovery. It is a great lesson if your not sure of your surrounding, slow down.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hope he get better fast. Back problems heal fast in a clamshell (right found) will take no time. Hows the sled?

Now know before you go. The way you guys went is the same as how people hit fences. Wasnt there last year but its there now. whether a fence,dugout,drainage ditch or machinery left in field all hazards to watch for.

albertasummitx

Reaction score
man sorry to hear ,hope he will be alright,true that you shouldve ran the field first .but excitement and adrenaline are not alway s the best.. hope he is o.k:beer: good lesson there

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this . had the same thing happen to my daughters boyfriend 2 wks ago. Riding out on the grazing range near seba beach been in the area for about a hour went for a little ride and when we came back to the area that we were having a fire at I went around the creek and he hit it at about 60 to 80 ks. Had stars come into get him, he's ok a lot of brusing, at the time we thought he broke both of his legs. Working on the sled today, both skies were bent back ripped the running board on one side. The handle bars were rolled over, the steering bar bent u bracket bent for the steering rod.
HOPE THAT YOUR BROTHER GETS BETTER SOON GOOD LUCK

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hope both victims of the above stories make a full and speedy recovery. Good point for everyone to consider about never moving a victim with a back...or neck injury, unless of course it's a "Life over Limb" situation. :beer:

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Sorry to learn of yet another avoidable situation. I never ride a field unless I know who's land it is and where everything is. Even riding ditches can be chalk full of hazards so learn from this all of you flat landers and ditch bangers. It doesn't take much for a wicked dismount, and if the launch doesn't get you, the landing might? To many people get seriously hurt riding areas they don't know at higher speeds, and it's always best to make a dry run and push it a bit on the way back. Once you know the surrounding well enough, you can calculate your risks.

I'm glad your brother wasn't harmed when moving him and hope he makes a full recovery.

Shanerd

Reaction score
Sorry for your Bro...and the young fella too...glad they will both make a full recovery... :beer::beer:

Top Bottom