engine

95polaris

Reaction score
hey i have a 95 xlt 580 it ran pretty good last year but had kinda of a bog to it when you first took off got it ready for this year went up to the gas station with it and i put 91 octane and it still had over 1/4 tank of 87 from last year sled ran great and then it started idiling high like at 4000 i so i tryed turning the idle down and it was ok for a minute or two then it died turned them back to what they were and now its really hard to start and it wants to die but if i put it on full choke it will idle but its still high was told it could be a vaccuum leak getting to much air and i havent touched any of the carb settings not sure what to do

tonykunz

Reaction score
Put a little gas in the cylinders, see if that will get it started.
Make sure your fuel cutoff switch, is open so you're getting fuel.
Take the airbox off (one strap) and you'll see the carb openings, make sure there is no gunk, you can spray some carb cleaner in there to clean everything out. My sled had a huge improvement just from that.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey i have a 95 xlt 580 it ran pretty good last year but had kinda of a bog to it when you first took off got it ready for this year went up to the gas station with it and i put 91 octane and it still had over 1/4 tank of 87 from last year sled ran great and then it started idiling high like at 4000 i so i tryed turning the idle down and it was ok for a minute or two then it died turned them back to what they were and now its really hard to start and it wants to die but if i put it on full choke it will idle but its still high was told it could be a vaccuum leak getting to much air and i havent touched any of the carb settings not sure what to do

Sounds like your carbs may need cleaning. Pull the bowls and check the float valves and jets for any problems. Remove the jets and use some carb cleaner and some welding tip cleaners to clean all the jets and air passages. Try that and see how it works. Good luck!

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^X2
Sounds like pilot jets have some sort of blockage most likely from varnish caused by gas evaporating over the summer.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

the 95's were a 600. none the less. pull your carbs and clean them out. ensure that all the little ports are clean. Varnish build up causes all kind of problems.

Top Bottom