Enclosed Sled Trailer

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for a 4 place enclosed trailer, not too much that I have found in the used. What length is the minimum for hauling 4 162" sleds & are there any trailers to stay away from. I have heard good things about legend trailers Thanks

JP.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine has a 2008 28 foot Charmac full aluminum with furnace, shelves etc.
fits 4 174 sleds, I believe it's 22 straight wall plus v-nose.
Pm me if interested
$15000

Thanks

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
27 is the minimum I would go. I've got a 29 and it sure is nice. Can squeeze 2 174 and 3 162 in it. IMO stick with 8.5 wide. So much space to walk around and throw gear. Legend trailers are too notch but they make a lot of 7 wide models.

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
27 is the minimum I would go. I've got a 29 and it sure is nice. Can squeeze 2 174 and 3 162 in it. IMO stick with 8.5 wide. So much space to walk around and throw gear. Legend trailers are too notch but they make a lot of 7 wide models.
Thanks Sean

JP.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is my friends trailer forsale

2008 Charmac
Full aluminum
22 foot straight wall plus 6 foot v nose
Furnace, stereo, cabinets, shelves
Inverter, lighting package
Solid rubber floor
Has 73 inches of clearance at rear door
99 inches wide inside
78 ceiling height
$15000

Last edited:

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow that seems like a good deal. Once you have an all aluminum trailer you will never go back. Worth every penny extra that they cost.

JP.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a great solid trailer... And good deal.
He just bought a taller height car hauler so he can load his car and bikes in the summer.
Nothing wrong with this trailer at all, should sell easily I would think.

Thanks

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can fit 5-163's in my 28'
I bought mine from Factory Outlet Trailer, in 07 and have had zero issues
Firefly, is one the site's supporting vendors. He's a sled trailer dealer, maybe shoot him a PM.

chickenman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been using a Legend from Firefly for the last couple of years and could not be happier with service or product!!! Give him a ring and he can answer any an all questions you might have. Ron 780 970-4940

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for a 4 place enclosed trailer, not too much that I have found in the used. What length is the minimum for hauling 4 162" sleds & are there any trailers to stay away from. I have heard good things about legend trailers Thanks
Ive had 2 enclosed trailers and the biggest thing to make sure it's a solid shell no screws on the main body of the trailer u will find if it hasn panels screwed on and what screws on the main body u will be tighting the screws almost every trip u do. I've got a 28' continental v nose 2009 and I use it for work with about 100,000 k on the trailer with just general maitanance on the trailer and it's a solid shell where is I had a Mirage 20' aluminum with tin panals and what a mistake rust out fast in 4 yrs with a lot of screw tighting Just my 2 cents

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive had 2 enclosed trailers and the biggest thing to make sure it's a solid shell no screws on the main body of the trailer u will find if it hasn panels screwed on and what screws on the main body u will be tighting the screws almost every trip u do. I've got a 28' continental v nose 2009 and I use it for work with about 100,000 k on the trailer with just general maitanance on the trailer and it's a solid shell where is I had a Mirage 20' aluminum with tin panals and what a mistake rust out fast in 4 yrs with a lot of screw tighting Just my 2 cents
what options will I want as far as cabinets / lights / heater etc.

Ol' Sarge

Reaction score
what options will I want as far as cabinets / lights / heater etc.

Well...you will want all the options. What you need is another story. I'll list my priorities, my opinion only.
1-lights. Get extra if you can. Nothing worse than changing clutching in the parking lot while holding a flashlight in your teeth.
2-cabinets. An overhead near the front is great for keeping bulky stuff that shouldn't be bouncing around and won't fit in an oil rack or anywhere else.
3-oil rack. Oil and antifreeze jugs can make a mess if they bounce around. You can also keep them in milk crates but then the whole crate can slide around into sleds. You pick.
4-helmet rack/coat hangers. If you have 4 in the cab of your truck it's nice to have a place for the bulky stuff that isn't dirty or wet.
5-benches,tables,stereo. Depends if you wrench, party or both. BBQ's, beds, you name it. Seems there is no limit to the stuff you can put in a trailer now. It's your wallet.
6-furnace. Depends if you put your gear on in your room or at the hill, and if you ride many cold days. I can tell you that once you get dressed or wrench in a hot house instead of an ice box you won't want to go back. But don't get fooled into thinking that it is a way to melt off your sleds after each days ride. Moisture management in such a confined space is a problem. The high humidity will cause issues if you think you can use it like a drying room, but it is great for taking the morning chill off and easier starts on those -25 mornings.
If you're going with heat do your homework. Some systems are better than others and some mfg's only work with certain units.

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The trailer I have is a car hauler and sled trailer which I like for my work and sledding. What the guy above said is their is lots of options I have a furnace and cabenets at the front and yes everything seems to break when it cold plus I also have a power converter so I can run 110 or 12 volt lights which is great. My trailer is a 28' and it holds 4 - 162" sleds with no problem and we do run 5 - 162" sleds because we carry a spare sled and we have used it once and a while.

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The trailer I have is a car hauler and sled trailer which I like for my work and sledding. What the guy above said is their is lots of options I have a furnace and cabenets at the front and yes everything seems to break when it cold plus I also have a power converter so I can run 110 or 12 volt lights which is great. My trailer is a 28' and it holds 4 - 162" sleds with no problem and we do run 5 - 162" sleds because we carry a spare sled and we have used it once and a while.
So with it being a car hauler / sled trailer do the wheel wells being raised up cause trouble loading & unloading sleds?

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also, do you find it too low to the ground pulling in & out of parking lots?

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So with it being a car hauler / sled trailer do the wheel wells being raised up cause trouble loading & unloading sleds?
Know problems after u learn how to do it, All u have to do is put the first 2 on , the 3rd one as u come up to the wheel well u side hill the sled a little and give it a little gas and rest the ski on the wheel well and do the same for the fourth sled and strap them down. We have no problem at all doing this and most of the time we back the sleds of since we have reverse but we do take them of the front if we need too. With coming out of parking lots u do need to watch that its not to steep but this is very rare but I have had other guys drive my truck and trailer and they find it pulls better than the trailers that sit higher up than my trailer. They seem to catch the air a lot more than mine and don't handle cross wind as well, so good luck

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bit of a different twist, but I have a 7'x27' MTI. Trailer fit and finish was okay from factory. Bought it sight unseen, only pictures, and found a few welds that were so-so that I touched up. If I did it again, I would go a 7.5' wide, but after having both a 8.5' wide and a 7' wide, I can't see myself going to a 8.5' again. The narrower trailer pulls so much better and throws the truck around a lot less. I do miss the width a little, but I don't live in the trailer, and if I need to work on something I throw the heat on and can pull a machine out if I need to. While I can't help you with how many 174's I can fit in there, we have fit 2x146's and 2x163's in there with room to spare. Towing at 120km/h over 1600 km I can average a hand calculated 14-15 mpg on a 6.7 CTD which I'm pretty happy with. Odd plus, but it's nice to not have to fold mirrors out and be able to fully see around the trailer. If I didn't tow a long distance, my mind may change as to going to a wider trailer, but for how far we tow, the ease of towing and mileage improvement is a big plus.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No one has made any mention of axle capacity, 3500 pound axles are ok if your only going to haul sleds. Going up to 5200 pound axles will make your trailer more useful for other things, sure glad I went that way with mine!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No one has made any mention of axle capacity, 3500 pound axles are ok if your only going to haul sleds. Going up to 5200 pound axles will make your trailer more useful for other things, sure glad I went that way with mine!

Only the guys hauling Yamaha's need that kind of axle capacity.......

Top Bottom