EV battery safety

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Read a few articles about cars catching fire on car hauling ships.
With the harsh Canadian winters is there a potential for more of this battery explosions and thermal runaway to occur? I think yes is the answer to that.

Not sure how much offgasing occurs with a large lithium Ion charging in an enclosed space, I know how much gassing occurs with a Forklift battery pack, Our 4 head monitors go off when we charge it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
As the owner of a Indoor Environmental Consulting company we are finding we are receiving more tasks to evaluate Electric Vehicle, Electric Bike and even electric tool battery fires. They are causing a lot of damage and when indoors the hazardous chemicals emitted are very dangerous and require Hazmat cleanup. This is not something that can be cleaned up with regular PPE and regular fire restoration procedures. The evaluation, specialty sampling and reporting on our end is quite expensive and the insurance companies are defeatistly recognizing the added risks.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I cannot disclose the location or involved parties, however we conducted a large investigation in a hand tool service center where a large pile of cordless batteries caught on fire. These caused extensive damage to both the structure and all the contents. Id say more hazardous chemical exposure hazards than the initial fire structural impact.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So should i be storing my milwaukee batteries outside in a metal bin or what

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something we never had to deal with in the past. Good thing we have an admin way ahead of the game to inform us of this danger. These batteries are not just samsung cell phone batteries that are banned from planes.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Im not sure, not pointing any fingers or disclosing any further information on that incident.
I have lots of you said 'Milwaukee tools and batteries' and havn't changed any stance on how they are stored.

This is just not cordless batteries ion tools, We get several E-bike claims as well and its real messy when they melt down when stored inside a residence. I wouldn't by cheap stuff as the probability for failure appears to be higher.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. Sounds like i need a metal bin.

Guess the phones and computers should be stored in it too. Haha

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to clean up my act big time, i had a lot of batteries piled in a bag with tools so i just grab it and off to a job. This shocked me, we have some good people working at the government after all.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately, It’s something to be aware of with any lithium Ion battery regardless of brand. I don’t like having my power tool batteries in the garage, and I don’t leave them on the charger but I doubt that will prevent a runaway.

I have 8 Milwaukee batteries in my service truck, they have seen -40 and plus 40. I am very impressed with them performance wise. My snap on batteries are junk in comparison.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
my dad has experienced issues with Lithium Ion Batteries with his RC Aircraft, he now charges them in a stone planter pot with a lid on it.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, It’s something to be aware of with any lithium Ion battery regardless of brand. I don’t like having my power tool batteries in the garage, and I don’t leave them on the charger but I doubt that will prevent a runaway.

I have 8 Milwaukee batteries in my service truck, they have seen -40 and plus 40. I am very impressed with them performance wise. My snap on batteries are junk in comparison.

I probably have 20 different brands of batteries in my house. Good thing for insurance i guesd

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And here our corrupt out of touch politicians are giving 16 billion dollars of our money to VW .... and the real world is doing this!

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1705788876590.png

Top Bottom