Elk Valley Snowmobile Club VS Fernie Snowmobile Association

Jvl

Reaction score
On behalf of the majority, :nono:. A few losers does not mean in general.

A (1) beer at the end of the day is not a problem. Especially if your not driving. The guys that get loser pissed are a problem, but are DEFINITELY not a majority.

What I do have a problem with, is the guys that drink at the cabins and while riding. Most of the people doing it are likely only 1 or 2. That's fine, except when the younger or less experienced see it, it sets a terrible example. It also gives people like YOU something to talk about, and a great big brush to paint us all with.

So maybe (in general )is not correct. But I was trying to make a point about ,that one club is not worse than the other and i have seen people " loser pissed" at coal creek parking lot. I don't want to paint all sledders as drunks because I know that's not true. But regardless the majority of people in town don't get that opinion from hanging out at the cabins. They see people and there beer cans in the parking lot.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen peeps loser pissed everywhere, at trailheads all over BC, hell I saw a guy pissed at McDonalds not too long ago, doesn't mean that all McD patrons are drunks. This thread has been totally derailed by one persons incessant nagging about the new club wanting to have a few social events. There was a presumption that it automatically be a "piss up" when the event hasn't even happened yet, why this was presumed I'm not sure, doesn't really sound like the person who asked knows the people involved in the new club.

Let's get back to the real issue.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did we ever get there in the first place? :confused:

Its the elephant in the room that no one is talking about - why the split (the real reasons) in the first place (neither club has to answer that as I don't really want these clubs to air their dirty laundry in a public forum, we will not arrive at any resolution here so why bother).

The honest question I have is: Ultimately can 2 local clubs co-exist peacefully in the same area, with access routes intersecting at a common riding location? Have they been in talks at all, and if so, how are they planning to manage this, as eventually it will have to be addressed?

There I said it. :)

turbodup

Reaction score
Mod man thx for your input best spoken yet,we are trying to do the right thing and only time will tell.knowbody knows how well the two clubs are gonna work but I don't know why people are scared to try new things.Both clubs are gonna work together where they can it just makes sense.To those that are interested the EVSC club ride and bbq is on the 18 of jan on a Sunday come up and grab a burger hot dog and a POP.

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have tried to get to the bottom of this myself.
I think that we could have done this all as one club that had a few more directors that took on the new agendas that the new club wants to do. This to me seems to be the most logical approach, because then there would be more funds going into one account and the members could vote to spend according to local desire.

No matter who Ive asked I still to this day haven't had a real honest answer to the subject of why the split. Until someone can sit down and sell me on the fact that 2 smaller clubs is going to provide better to one location than one large club I think I will sit on the side lines to see how it unfolds.

One thing I know for sure is each club has some very talented individuals working/ volunteering for them and if we could get them working together it would help everyone enjoy snowmobiling in Fernie that much more.

Please PM me if you would like to sit down and explain to me why and how this new club came to be.

Last edited:

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree I think if there were more people coming out to the meeting and voting, they would all be heard. I think the FERNIE club has always been looking for more members to sit as directors and on committees, this would give everyone who wants to be heard there voice, if there is enough people to form a second club. Could they not come out and get voted on as directors etc. would one club with a larger membership not have better luck in getting things done federally and be ellagable for more grants. Am I missing something?

turbodup

Reaction score
Just to let people know our family day bbq was a great success today lots of people and lots of laughs.we will be having another event very soon and the evsc would like to thank all the people who helped and as well as the ones that participated.the donations are very much appreciated guys and gals

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
First off I would like to start by saying I am not here to stir the pot. This is my opinion, and was in no way influenced by active members in either club. I do not get into the politics of these two clubs, but I do purchase memberships and trail feels to help the clubs improve the area.

Yesterday was one of the poorest snow condition days I have rode in a few years. Up until yesterday I did not favour one club more than the other so we elected to stage at Morrissey already having staged there this year before. The trail at low elevation was bare dirt in many spots, I will over look this because you can’t maintain dirt if the is no snow. Once the snow started it was frozen rock solid. The little pull behind groomer was half buried in the snow beside the trail. I am guessing it has not been used in a while. I ride a Pro, we had to stop 4 times on the way up after the sleds hit 200 to pack snow on the coolers to cool the sleds down. Seen another fellow with his track clips stuck to the hyfax. Everyone had scratchers down but the trail was in too bad of shape. We jumped up into the Rolling Hills and went on with our day.

We decided to ride the coal creek summit ridge around and drop down to the Rolling Hills Cabin. Got to the Cabin and noticed it was freshly groomed. When it was time to go home we decided to use the FSA groomed trail towards the Wranglers Cabin. We were going to go around the other way but the FSA had not groomed that trail around the summit. Scratchers down and sled never went over 130. Turned onto MacEvoey (SP?) headed back to Morrissey and the sled started to heat up. It run 160-170 all the way down to the trucks, not to mention how not smooth the trail also was.

I am guessing that FSA is not grooming around the summit this year to dissuade people from staging at Morrissey, and I do not blame them. I for one will not be staging at Morrissey until the FSA has control over it again. This little pissing match a few people were having has ruined a good area. We waited until the logging was done with this road only to have the EVSC ruin it again. If this club wanted to prove a point great, but at least get your %hit together. The EVSC has to do a BETTER job than the FSA. A free hot dog day at the Wranglers won’t cut it. From my experience the last few years there are some very dedicated people to the FSA and they do a great job, even if they don’t hear it enough.

So to recap I think the EVSC bit off more than they could chew. They got caught up in emotions thinking that they could do a better job and failed. They picked Morrissey so they could tell everybody they are grooming, but in fact they are taking credit for the cat ski doing half of the work. When snow conditions were good they were there taking donations because they did not have to maintain the trail. Now that the conditions are poor they are nowhere to be seen. This is when a club has to work hard and maintain the trail system for its users. The EVSC also forced the FSA to stop grooming around the Coal Creek Summit because of politics. We went backwards with this new club not forward and I hope they are big enough to admit defeat and throw in the towel.

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well put. I asked an honest question in the other forum as it was going off the rails that I never got an answer to as well. If the evsc would like exist in town why not take over another area (like the North side of town) from that staging area you can ride the sisters, meca and P bobs. And I'm sure there's more up there I don't know about.
As I said in that thread I would have no issues paying Trail fee to a different club if they are maintaining a different area. Just a though to help everyone to get along.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First off I would like to start by saying I am not here to stir the pot. This is my opinion, and was in no way influenced by active members in either club. I do not get into the politics of these two clubs, but I do purchase memberships and trail feels to help the clubs improve the area.

Yesterday was one of the poorest snow condition days I have rode in a few years. Up until yesterday I did not favour one club more than the other so we elected to stage at Morrissey already having staged there this year before. The trail at low elevation was bare dirt in many spots, I will over look this because you can’t maintain dirt if the is no snow. Once the snow started it was frozen rock solid. The little pull behind groomer was half buried in the snow beside the trail. I am guessing it has not been used in a while. I ride a Pro, we had to stop 4 times on the way up after the sleds hit 200 to pack snow on the coolers to cool the sleds down. Seen another fellow with his track clips stuck to the hyfax. Everyone had scratchers down but the trail was in too bad of shape. We jumped up into the Rolling Hills and went on with our day.

We decided to ride the coal creek summit ridge around and drop down to the Rolling Hills Cabin. Got to the Cabin and noticed it was freshly groomed. When it was time to go home we decided to use the FSA groomed trail towards the Wranglers Cabin. We were going to go around the other way but the FSA had not groomed that trail around the summit. Scratchers down and sled never went over 130. Turned onto MacEvoey (SP?) headed back to Morrissey and the sled started to heat up. It run 160-170 all the way down to the trucks, not to mention how not smooth the trail also was.

I am guessing that FSA is not grooming around the summit this year to dissuade people from staging at Morrissey, and I do not blame them. I for one will not be staging at Morrissey until the FSA has control over it again. This little pissing match a few people were having has ruined a good area. We waited until the logging was done with this road only to have the EVSC ruin it again. If this club wanted to prove a point great, but at least get your %hit together. The EVSC has to do a BETTER job than the FSA. A free hot dog day at the Wranglers won’t cut it. From my experience the last few years there are some very dedicated people to the FSA and they do a great job, even if they don’t hear it enough.

So to recap I think the EVSC bit off more than they could chew. They got caught up in emotions thinking that they could do a better job and failed. They picked Morrissey so they could tell everybody they are grooming, but in fact they are taking credit for the cat ski doing half of the work. When snow conditions were good they were there taking donations because they did not have to maintain the trail. Now that the conditions are poor they are nowhere to be seen. This is when a club has to work hard and maintain the trail system for its users. The EVSC also forced the FSA to stop grooming around the Coal Creek Summit because of politics. We went backwards with this new club not forward and I hope they are big enough to admit defeat and throw in the towel.

Cannot disagree with anything you said. The lower Morrissey trail would be screwed this year no matter who was looking after it but the EVSC should have had someone informing riders of the horrible lower conditions and marginal upper conditions.

I wasn't riding yesterday due to a lingering illness, but some of my friends staged there yesterday and their report was the same as yours. They parked their trucks up past the switchbacks at the big rock but said everyone else was parked down by the quarry and that most of those people caused some serious damage to their sleds riding up the road. They also said it looked like the FSA even groomed part way up the pipeline and the FSA maintained trail to the Rolling Hills cabin was awesome.

I think this is gonna be a big hit to the new club.

Jvl

Reaction score
Well put. I asked an honest question in the other forum as it was going off the rails that I never got an answer to as well. If the evsc would like exist in town why not take over another area (like the North side of town) from that staging area you can ride the sisters, meca and P bobs. And I'm sure there's more up there I don't know about.
As I said in that thread I would have no issues paying Trail fee to a different club if they are maintaining a different area. Just a though to help everyone to get along.

That area belongs to the fsa and they are to groom Hartley but don't. I was up there Friday,trail was sh,, it seems like another area they will loose because they can't make money there.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That area belongs to the fsa and they are to groom Hartley but don't. I was up there Friday,trail was sh,, it seems like another area they will loose because they can't make money there.

ANOTHER area they'll loose? What a joke. No one lost any area. The only thing lost in any of this was common sense, followed by respect.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On second thought, FSA might have lost a little 'donation' revenue this year. Thats the sad part in it all. After all they've done, and continue to do, just to get crapped on.

Jvl

Reaction score
On second thought, FSA might have lost a little 'donation' revenue this year. Thats the sad part in it all. After all they've done, and continue to do, just to get crapped on.

It couldn't be the bad conditions or a snow cat going down either, the reason they have less money.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It couldn't be the bad conditions or a snow cat going down either, the reason they have less money.

A snow cat problem, and conditions can't really be controlled, and not a HUGE problem.

A bunch of losers trying to poach a new cabin and good/well known riding area IS.

Last edited:

Jvl

Reaction score
A snow cat problem, and conditions can't really be controlled, and not a HUGE problem.

A bunch of losers trying to poach a new cabin and good/well known riding area IS.

It's not poaching if fsa didn't have it. And bad condition make a huge difference. I went to the gun range on sat around 10:30 and there was a fraction of people compared to other years on Alberta day weekend at the staging area.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not poaching if fsa didn't have it. And bad condition make a huge difference. I went to the gun range on sat around 10:30 and there was a fraction of people compared to other years on Alberta day weekend at the staging area.

Ya know what John, your a **** rat.
Seems you have been from the start. Weren't you crying about something like this from a year or two ago?

If you don't have the means to understand that two clubs fighting over revenue is a bigger problem then conditions, then your not worth my time to try and explain it to over the internet.
I would sit down face to face though over a beer, that might be more effective.

I will add though, that much of your concern before seemed to come from not seeing the books of the club, and seeming to be jealous over having $40g in the bank. Well, maybe the new club will see just why you need to have some bank, and that alll that money doesn't go that far. Unless of course all your doing is buying some hot dogs.

It's too bad that growin men are this ****ing childish.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
JVL, I don't understand what you are getting at. You make it sound like it is not the EVSCs fault and the FSA is not doing their job. The fact is the snow conditions are poor, the FSA trail was in great shape and the EVSC trail was the worst of the popular areas.

Now you are mad that they are not grooming into Hartley and other areas they control, but on the other hand many locals get pissed off that there are too many tourists in their riding areas. I am not sure what you are getting at and I don't think you are either to be honest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom