electrical issues...help!

mxzx800

Reaction score
I have an 04 MXZX 440 with an 03 800 HO dropped in. everything has worked fine in the past but this year when i fired it up none of the lights would work or the tach. replaced the relay, then the lights worked...and still no tach! Now the lights are really dim and the tach still doesnt work! if i turn the handwarmers off then the headlights get brighter but the tail light stays dim...if i unplug the headlights then the tailight getts brighter...i am so lost!!! I have talked to a few dealerships and some say "its the voltage regulator" others say its the "stater" then others say its a bad ground! as you can see, nobody has the same answere...i have unpluged the headlights and handwarmers...neither seams to fix the problem as a whole andnothing i do can get the tach to work...someone please help! thank you in advance

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well they are all correct. start with the voltage regulator as its the least expensive or try swapping one from another sled. if that fails i would have to say your stator is on the way out.

mxzx800

Reaction score
Thank you for the input...im going to put a new voltage regulator in today & see what that does for me. I am baffled as to why i couldnt get the tach to work even after unplugging the lights and handwarmers. Maybe i have more than one thing going on??? well thanks again

mxzx800

Reaction score
well...i changed out the voltage regulator and that fixed everything but the tach! Its a brand new tach any ideas as to why it wont work? Is it possible that its also a stator issue? We all have time to think about it cause both reed cages were torn and ill be doing a top end rebuild the next couple of evenings! I guess thats just the way it goes!!!! damn the bad luck!

Top Bottom