Eagle Valley / Sicamous Updates 2018 - 2019

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any update from someone that has been there in the past couple days?

This week we had 2 emergency meeting concerning the temperatures and avalanche risk for the south, central and south eastern parts of BC.
We are currently discouraging back country users from venturing into the back country and to wait it out. Though people will do as they please, so please be aware of the risk's and be prepared.
We have recorded significant human triggered avalanches even in low laying areas within tree lines, condition right now are EXTREME.

As of today i'm officially on call for the next 10 days with BC search and rescue, unless things change.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was quite busy today and it is rode out. Hi avy conditions and cold. People were riding the hills today��

AaronQ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ever met someone who's throat starts tightening up just from a peanut bar being in the same room?

Over and Out!
I asked my grandpa once if he remembered kids like that when he was young. He said he remembered a lot of their funerals......

AaronQ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This week we had 2 emergency meeting concerning the temperatures and avalanche risk for the south, central and south eastern parts of BC.
We are currently discouraging back country users from venturing into the back country and to wait it out. Though people will do as they please, so please be aware of the risk's and be prepared.
We have recorded significant human triggered avalanches even in low laying areas within tree lines, condition right now are EXTREME.

As of today i'm officially on call for the next 10 days with BC search and rescue, unless things change.
How big of an area do you have to travel for a call out from home? Thanks for your service too

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How big of an area do you have to travel for a call out from home? Thanks for your service too
Lund is on help with Vernon sar

I'm am with shuswap sar ( salmon arm)

He could come in from the south side of hunters ( his north area), and I could come it from the north side of owls and into hunters to meet or help

raven-lunatic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to why my Avy Canada App doesn't reflect what i'm hearing about the conditions,that being that there is lots of movement from alpine to below treeline??? Moderate in Alpine Considerable at treeline

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to why my Avy Canada App doesn't reflect what i'm hearing about the conditions,that being that there is lots of movement from alpine to below treeline??? Moderate in Alpine Considerable at treeline

I posted this out of my own free will from observation through our discussion at the meeting's, concerning avy activities and cold temperatures.
The avy situation is not the only concern here but being stuck in the back country over night in these temps can lead to disastrous consequences as temperatures right now can drop 25/30 below zero with out the wind factor.
What avalanche Canada puts on their web site should always be observed "in addition" of making your own observation's and conclusions for the area your riding through by digging a pit. We know that avy activities change as the day changes and what you find might not be exactly what avalanche Canada puts on their web site and what was safe at 8am might be very dangerous at 1pm.
Plus one needs to consider all other factor's that will effect and possibly increase the risk of venturing into the back country, such as the cold snap we are experiencing.
So my point is access the risk's wisely.

BillDozer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode Blue Yesterday stayed down low around Cummings Lake as everything has been pounded out and the 8 inches of snow we got just barely covered all the Tracks Tex has left up there the past 2 weeks :nono: . Probed in a small opening and only had 4 feet of snow so much less than last year at this time. As I've said before we need a huge refresh to get to what us locals live here for:d . On another note slow down on the trails guys and girls going up witnessed a sled being hauled out at the 14km mark that had gone over the embankment and then on the way down around 7km saw another group of all blue sleds.... peering over the edge where someone put another one. Fortunately there were no injuries in either incident.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are still some areas that don’t appear to have a sled in them for awhile if you know where to look.

That being said between Owls and Blue there are tracks in places I never expected to see places. Maybe 8-10” of fresher snow in some places and some older tracks covered.
I am surprised at the amount some of the creeks are still open in spots. Of course no tracks down those until today

She was cold again today but blue sky made it enjoyable. Didn’t take any pics other than a couple as I didn’t feel like taking my gloves off.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode Blue Yesterday stayed down low around Cummings Lake as everything has been pounded out and the 8 inches of snow we got just barely covered all the Tracks Tex has left up there the past 2 weeks :nono: . Probed in a small opening and only had 4 feet of snow so much less than last year at this time. As I've said before we need a huge refresh to get to what us locals live here for:d . On another note slow down on the trails guys and girls going up witnessed a sled being hauled out at the 14km mark that had gone over the embankment and then on the way down around 7km saw another group of all blue sleds.... peering over the edge where someone put another one. Fortunately there were no injuries in either incident.
Did I go there, woops my bad

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great day at EP today. Snow to be had but you have to work for it. Rode the most pow we’ve seen here all season. Still plenty cold though. Plenty of slide activity out there. Seems to be north facing and a lot of loose wind blown stuff. Play safe out there. Climbing wide open hills is not advisable. Even in the trees there is a lot of loose stuff. Make good decisions.

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy, a little cold out for the old stuff to run

It wasn’t though. It was cold this morning but we never made it to the parking lot until 11ish. Had to do some
Wrenching on a couple machines before leaving so it gave us some time for the weather to improve. Lots of warm air coming off the fan cooled machines.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It wasn’t though. It was cold this morning but we never made it to the parking lot until 11ish. Had to do some
Wrenching on a couple machines before leaving so it gave us some time for the weather to improve. Lots of warm air coming off the fan cooled machines.
Lmfao, the old school noon crew

Love it lol

Top Bottom