E-Tec worth the extra coin?

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, it's sled shopping time for me and after much deliberation I've come to realize that a new summit is the sled I want. My only hang-up is, I like the idea of the E-Tec engine (lighter throttle pull, less stink and less oil consumption), but sticker on a new SP is around 13,000, whereas I can get a Summit sport with the old powertek engine for a little over 10k OTD. Is that fancy new engine really worth an extra 3 grand?

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not much of a hillclimb guy so it will probably stay stock. I just like to play around on powerlines, pipelines, deactivated roads and the occasional golf course. We get enough snow up in the north here I don't need to go to the mountains to find powder luckily.

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive ridden both, not even the same sled. Go with the etec, it the only thing that keeping skidoo in the running these days with all the changes in the poo and kitty lineup.

As for the light throttle pull, it is a big deal, if you ride the 2 back to back you will never want to ride the ptek again.

Good luck

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive ridden both, not even the same sled. Go with the etec, it the only thing that keeping skidoo in the running these days with all the changes in the poo and kitty lineup.

As for the light throttle pull, it is a big deal, if you ride the 2 back to back you will never want to ride the ptek again.

Good luck

X2

Sent from my Desire HD

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Good luck

this is great.

you mean all the changes that have them ALMOST caught up 8 years later. but still fall far behind. yes. its the only thing keeping skidoo going....the etec....

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score

Good luck

omg............ A. Normally...... The engine's ARE the only thing keeping most sleds running.. As far as the only thing keeping ski-doo in the running with all the changes poo and kitty are making..... B. Your right....Its very hard for ski doo to keep up with all the changes everyone is making to try and make thier sleds more like an XP. How ever will they stay afloat.
C.And yes... How is this a bad thing? Ski-Doo makes an engine as advanced as the e-tech, how is that bad if that is their meal ticket for the next couple years... The only thing that cat has to throw at is is that 1200 turbo.... Thats the sled EVERYONE was lined up at the sled show to see... Where is your post about the only thing keeping cat in the running is thier new turbo motor? Becuase your effed if you think they can keep the same motors they have been using... change the chassis and hang with the xp's stock... Wont happen.

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with an etech. There are good deals out there on them but yes you will pay around 13000 otd for a 2012 sp 154.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even.....and I mean even if the ETEC is in a dead heat with Cat and Poo for performance and deep snow prowess the XP is 5 years old and the Poo platform is 2 and the Cat is new. Now next year when the XP evolves into the next stage these guys will be stuck early in a 5 year program while we will be extending our technology lead once again. It's much easier to play with a lead than catch up. It's simple math.

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the 2011 Summit 800 Etec and I love it. Yes they are a little more money but in my opinion it was worth it. My son has a 2006 800 HO Summit and you do notice quite a difference in throttle response and power.

BIlly Boy

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
omg............ A. Normally...... The engine's ARE the only thing keeping most sleds running.. As far as the only thing keeping ski-doo in the running with all the changes poo and kitty are making..... B. Your right....Its very hard for ski doo to keep up with all the changes everyone is making to try and make thier sleds more like an XP. How ever will they stay afloat.
C.And yes... How is this a bad thing? Ski-Doo makes an engine as advanced as the e-tech, how is that bad if that is their meal ticket for the next couple years... The only thing that cat has to throw at is is that 1200 turbo.... Thats the sled EVERYONE was lined up at the sled show to see... Where is your post about the only thing keeping cat in the running is thier new turbo motor? Becuase your effed if you think they can keep the same motors they have been using... change the chassis and hang with the xp's stock... Wont happen.

Boy, the Skidoo twins are grumpy this morning....bwhahahahaha

Ive ridden all years of the XP and both are great. The new Etec is awesomely smooth and is just going to get better ! Id pull the pin on an etec. Im sure T Team can get you a good deal !

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not sure how this turned into a brand war, but whatever...who cares what model is 4, 5, 10 years old. The question was about the etec vs. powertek. In reality, I don't think anyone could go wrong with any current 800 2 stroke. The Polaris is nice, the guys who ride them, love them. The Doo has had its quirks (like many others...diamond drives, liberty motors...), but its a great sled with an updated motor in the etec. The Cat is working on a few proven items in the rear skid and motor. I hope it does well, it means the other guys will have to step up to the plate.

So onto the etec question...If you are the kinda person who wants to go out and start their sled every day with one pull, likes a light throttle pull, makes very good power across the rpm range, and would benefit from fuel injection without ever wanting to start toying with motor mods, the etec is worth it.

Never again should you need to roll your sled over will you have a flooding issue. One pull starts on cold mornings, easy. Better fuel delivery control over various elevations with no need to get into jetting changes.

Really though, if you can't justify the price difference, you won't be unhappy as the ptek is still a good choice.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious if any of the offended BRP under-wearing crowd have any idea how long Cat and Poo had EFI sleds BEFORE Doo did? Anyone?

You can play the "Who caught up to Who" game all day - Doo had a more evolved chassis until this year, Cat/Poo had a more evolved motor until this year.

To the original poster: ETEC if you can afford it, any EFI is worth the $$$.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doo had carbs that were far superior to cats efi system. Crappy throttle response and extreme fuel usage is hardly a trait of a good operating fuel injection system. Ya they had it for a long time. No denying that. I don't know that just because you have an efi system that's refined to nothibg short of manualy dumping fuel into the cylinders before doo had it makes it better. Etec throttle control is as good or better than its previous carb models. I forgot to mention that. On and off the throtttle is flawless with the etec its cool technology. But justifying it is difficultforme and you obviously.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Doo had carbs that were far superior to cats efi system. Crappy throttle response and extreme fuel usage is hardly a trait of a good operating fuel injection system. Ya they had it for a long time. No denying that. I don't know that just because you have an efi system that's refined to nothibg short of manualy dumping fuel into the cylinders before doo had it makes it better. Etec throttle control is as good or better than its previous carb models. I forgot to mention that. On and off the throtttle is flawless with the etec its cool technology. But justifying it is difficultforme and you obviously.

.........Did you just re-buttle agaist modman?.....................what an idoit. I may argue... But I know when to shut up.. YOU DONT! loool
I have learned my lesson there.. like 8 times...

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Okay well as far as throttle response and such on the older cat efi's i know lots of king cat 900's that didn't have any throttle response issue what so ever. And in one of your earlier posts you said that the Ptek and the E-tec are same power, not according to doo they aren't the e-etec has about 10 more hp. The Ptek or 800R motors were rated at 151-155hp and the E-tec is supposedly rated at 161-163hp. BRP bought OMC that makes johnson/evinrude outboards years ago for the ficht fuel technology, they fuel delivery system on the etec is nothing new it's just new to sleds.

Top Bottom