800 E-TEC CAMPAIGN (Piston Replacement)

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just visited my dealer and was handed a campaign for a piston replacement on my 2011 Summit X. Dont quote me on this but i believe it affects all machines over 2000km or that have operated at over a certain elevation (basically mountain sleds). Best to call in to your local dealer and see.

Campaign 2011-10

Bulletin 2011-18

Cheers

Found this on DOOTALK

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=469891

October 3, 2011 Subject:800R E-TEC Piston Replacement No. 2011-18

PROBLEM
Under severe mountain riding conditions, piston
ring locating pin may not meet durability requirements
and may fail leading to severe engine damage.

SOLUTION
Replace pistons with a new design ONLY if the
vehicle meets the following requirements:
– Vehicle used generally at an altitude of 1 200m
(4,000 ft) and above.
– Vehicle has reached 2 000km (1,200 mi).
NOTE: Pistons replacement is not required PRIOR
to stated mileage.

Campaign no.: 2012–0004
October 3, 2011 Subject:2012
Summit X RAVE Valve Components Rubbing on
Countershaft

PROBLEM
The RAVE valve hoses may be incorrectly routed
and the check valve manifold may be incorrectly
positioned. In such a case, parts will rub on the
countershaft resulting in RAVE malfunction.

SOLUTION
If needed, correct the RAVE valve hoses routing
and the check valve manifold position.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a sweet deal. A very isolated issue but everyone gets a freer top end rebuuilt at 2000km. Sweet! One of ours is on the list. Free freshn up

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just talked to my dealer. Both mine and my dads sleds are affected. Fresh top ends for free? Heck yes!

Sent from my Desire HD

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nice......poo waited till every engine out there blew up before they even looked at the problem.....two thumbs up to Ski-Doo! and I dont even ride a Doo!

andrew3399

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So that means you gotta keep your fingers crossed that you wont blow up in the back country before 2000 kms or you wont get the "fix". Come on doo use your head. Dealers gonna get a lot of slack over the km issue Im guessing.

andrew3399

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not trying to burst some of your guys bubbles but a free top end refresh I bet thats what polaris customers were thinking at the time of their recall and look how that ended up. I hope its not the same though. Good Luck.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is an extremely isolated issue. Anyone who blows this out of proportion needs to calm down. Your sled is not going to go bang at 2000km. Thousands of etecs over the threshhold no issues. And this is only 2011 sleds

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So that means you gotta keep your fingers crossed that you wont blow up in the back country before 2000 kms or you wont get the "fix". Come on doo use your head. Dealers gonna get a lot of slack over the km issue Im guessing.

I'm guessing you ride a cat.

Sent from my Desire HD

andrew3399

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont ride a cat just dont wanna see another "polaris" recall on any brand. To little time to ride to deal with mishaps. Good to hear it is just a small number though. Customers will make it a big deal as they will all rush in at 2001 kms and get a refresh done.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To bad brp didn't Friggn fix all the 07-08 800r cranks. Under a recall

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What if you don't have 2000km and won't for another year or 2 do you just keep using it. Are they gonna have to reflash it? I rode a few other etecs last year that got the reflash and they didn't have near the power mine does without the flash. I dunno if I should just wait until warrenty is almost out then take it to get a fresh top end before I sell it and order a new one.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What if you don't have 2000km and won't for another year or 2 do you just keep using it. Are they gonna have to reflash it? I rode a few other etecs last year that got the reflash and they didn't have near the power mine does without the flash. I dunno if I should just wait until warrenty is almost out then take it to get a fresh top end before I sell it and order a new one.

I'd milk it as long as I could. They say they probably could have put a mileage deadline of 3000 km's but are playing it safe. I'd wait as long as possible especially if you are keeping it for a few years.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got the flash on mine and noticed no Difference in performance.
But the Irritating thing about the recall is the milage that it need to be done at. So it my engine piles up at 600 miles and i needed a chopper lift out and the cause of engine failure is because of this known issue, and my sled is on the recall list. Than what!! am I out the cash for the lift, even though this could of been avoided, I should be able to get this done when I want to and at my dealers convienience, all these engines will have to be done anyway, so why put the milage limit on it.
But looking at the other side of the coin, It would be nice to start next season with a fresh top end. as long as BRP doesn't lower the HP or operating RPM, Time will tell.

Stantheman

Reaction score
A guy I know just bought a leftover 2011 etec. Does he ride it till 2000km and then get the recall done?

I agree with Caper11, dealers could have slowly worked through these machines over the summer if there was no mileage limit, instead alot will be hitting the mark mid season. Most will end up continuing to ride past 2000km, hopefully without issues, rather then put there machine in for the work. Least thats what I did with my cat A-Arm recall this past winter, had the sled at the dealer last week to get it fixed.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well they could always install a new crank at this time as well. Seeing that the sleds will have 2000k they will need it anyways.

Top Bottom