Spectre Performance CRAP customer service

Griz-L-Bar

Reaction score
As the title says Spectre Performance has crap customer service. I have never been responded to the way I was. Unbelievable. Below is the series of e-mails that were sent back and forth between myself and there tech. I have removed his name and mail address the only name you will see is mine.

Sent: Monday, July 11, 2011 3:22 PM
To:
Subject: 2006 F-150 cold air kit

Hello

A couple months ago I purchased a cold-air kit from a local vendor for my Pickup truck; part number 9925.

I installed it myself as per the directions, drove approximately 500 km and re-torqued all connections.

I then hooked onto my travel trailer, and when pulling it noticed a major vibration or NVH coming from directly in front of me. I pulled it like this for about 20 kms. Upon inspecting everything from u-joints, muffler mounts, tranny, and engine mounts, shaking wiggling everything I could get my hands on and tightening a few random bolts I tried again to pull the trailer with same result.

I got home removed the cold air kit, and have since put on roughly 1000km with the truck pulling the trailer and have not experienced this again. Thus leading me to conclude it is something of a Harmonic vibration in the metal tube of the intake.

Here is specs on the truck:
2006 F-150 Crew cab 4x4
5.4 liter 3 Valve motor
4 spd auto
True dual exhaust (Custom install) Factory manifold and cats in place still
Edge CS Chip set on "Tow Mode"
3.73 rear end

The vibration will occur around 1800-2000 rpm under acceleration or during sustained cruise. According to the EDGE chip the truck is experiencing 70% engine load when the vibration is at its worst.

This is enough of a problem for me that I will not be putting this intake back on as it vibrates the pedals and wheel while driving, and is very loud in the driving cab.

I also received the product with a small dent in it and installed it anyway assuming I would have no troubles with it. This is the first time I have purchased one of your products and I’m hoping it will not be the last.

Any help or tips in resolving this matter would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Adrian

To: Adrian
Subject: RE: 2006 F-150 cold air kit
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 15:06:08 -0700

Hi Adrian,
I have not heard this concern before but without seeing the intake kit installed on your truck I’m not sure what was causing it. After thinking about this for several hours, only two things I can think of might cause the noise. First thing is the intake tube and/or heat shield might be grounding to the body or the engine transmitting the normal vibrations to the driver. The second cause might be the idle air control valve might be starting to go bad and the extra load of pulling the trailer is causing the diaphragm inside the valve the vibrate and transmit that noise into the tube. And when you installed the factory tube it stops because there is less air flow on acceleration so the valve doesn’t vibrate as much and you don’t hear it because of the factory noise suppression in the factory intake track.

Respectfully,
Tech support-R&D-Engineering
Monday-Thursday 6:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. PT.

Adrian
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 7:44 AM
To: Spectre
Subject: RE: 2006 F-150 cold air kit

Hello

I have been down to the local Ford to get the part you mentioned, and found that this year of truck does not have it. I then asked around and found another person who had this intake at the dealer on a similar truck. He said he had the same troubles, but not as loud and no vibration.

I returned home and used some 1/4" vacuum hose, cut on one side to open it up, and put it on every exposed edge. I also disassembled the "box" and put silicone/gasket maker on every bolt threw flange. And when I installed the box I put silicone on the flat area that it mounts to, I used a lot of silicone and hose.

This past weekend I pulled my trailer about 100 miles and although it was still very loud there was no vibration.
I think what might be happening is that the lack of sound deadening/vibration controlling material used is causing the intake harmonics to transfer to the mounting area of the box on the inner fender well. The area is sheet metal and has no support it is flimsy and if tapped quickly with a metal object has something of a tuning fork noise, which could under continuous use could cause the vibration I felt.

Although this has put a band aid on the intake I have, I'm not overall impressed with the kit. I have had cold-air kits on some of my other vehicles and never experienced this before, nor have I had to modify the kit from original in any way. Many of my friends have them to and this does not happen.

Thank you for your time

Adrian

This was the last Response from spectre
Hi Adrian,
This kit was designed to increase performance by reducing the factory air flow restrictions. When the restrictions are removed, the noise deafening that is built into the factory tube is lost at the same time. If you are not satisfied with the 9925 cold air intake you might contact the place of purchase and return it.

Respectfully,
Tech support-R&D-Engineering
909-673-9800 Ext.324

Monday-Thursday 6:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. PST.

I wrote back to them and said "I was sorry for giving them real world feedback and next time I would just return the product."

Not sure how they intend on making money if every time a problem comes up they encourage people to just return it.

My brother has the same truck as me and put an AIRRAID intake on it, that truck does not do any of the things mine does. Im not happy with Spectre and there blowing off of the problem:realmad:, he seems to have no desire to rectify any problems people might have. Im not sure how he figures I will be able to return it to the vendor now that I have Gasket maker all over , in my attempt to fix a chit product:mad:. I sure am glad I went the extra mile to try and resolve a problem with their product and got told to ...well more a less SHOVE IT.
:rant:

Now I know some of my words to them might have been a bit short, but if you paid 300+ bucks for something that maid your truck shake like an old POS wouldn't you be mad to?

I hope this opens people eyes as it has mine, I enjoy supporting the aftermarket. But after this I will never be supporting Spectre Performance again. The old saying" you get what you pay for" doesnt even apply I paid alot for a hunk of crap.

Phyer Phyter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not sure they did you wrong. If you were not satisfied with the product (which you weren't) they encouraged/allowed you to return it even tho you tinkered with and modified it. What more would you like them to do? They responded to your quiries in a reasonable way.

Flatlander_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had flowmaster super 40's on a 2007 ford 5.4 and with the intake it would resonate in the cab so bad i removed the super 40's and put on 50 series just my exprience and it was at about the same rpm i believe you have a exhaust problem not intake just my two cents.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My '06 hemi did the same thing,.. I had an AEM CAI and when I put my FloPro performance muffler on, the DRONE and resonance in the cab at about 2000rpm was TERRIBLE. I literally had a headache after about 5min and it made my eyeballs flutter--- no chit.

So I opted for a different muffler,. and also located it as far back under the box as possible,..

Suffice to say, I really don't think it's the manufacturers fault on your problem,

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the Air Aid on my 98 F150 and I installed Flow master mufflers the drone was horrible, I installed some factory molded mudflaps for the back tires and it knocked down all the drone, Weird.

Griz-L-Bar

Reaction score
I am not sure they did you wrong. If you were not satisfied with the product (which you weren't) they encouraged/allowed you to return it even tho you tinkered with and modified it. What more would you like them to do? They responded to your quiries in a reasonable way.

I really doubt that the vendor would accept the return, it would have to be done directly threw Spectre. Since it has been tinkered with.

Griz-L-Bar

Reaction score
I don't know how it would be exhaust, I have pulled the trailer without the cold air, and with the exhaust NO noise, shake, drone , or vibration. And like I said after putting on a bunch of sound deadening material it made the problem better, therefore...INtake rattle.
And after driving it awhile now I think that the vibration is gone, so I fixed it Im, pretty sure. but spectre won't find that out because their solution was to blow it off and say just return it instead of solving the real problem with their product.

Look guys this was my expierience, Please don't say that Im the one that screwed up and Spectre is innocent, if they wanted to help they would have paid shipping and had me return it. I feel screwed over and iggnored and nothin is gonna change that.JMO

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
huh i have a spectre intake on my wifes tahoe and have installed many on many different truck's [ even an 05 f150 with a 3v 5.4 ] and for the money u can't beat them....

Top Bottom