Donald Trump can kiss my Azz

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol, you have been "smelling"something maybe a bit too much.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well this is a "good news/bad news " thing. Certainly no shortage of material here in North America some funny and some that makes you want to start drinking and not sober up until...well...until things change. Looks like the liver is gonna take a serious beatin.'

At least this forum allows political banter. Other AB outdoors websites will shut you down.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest problem is that you get these sorts of articles and by that I mean you have someone expressing a viewpoint without taking into consider all of the details. The lower US tax is not exactly true when one takes into account all of the costs it takes to live. As Canadian, we whine and complain about our taxes but nobody takes into account health care. My cousin moved from Calgary to Houston Texas for about the same salary (about 5% more) but the exchange rate (about the same then as now) made it look like a 38% increase. He worked for a huge oil company so his benefits were as good as you can find. House prices were lower etc. etc. At the end of a year he found that he had no more take home pay than he did at home. Undeniably better weather in the winter but unbearably hot in the summer so each place has about 4 months of crappy weather. The US health care is said to be better but his wife was having health issues and went undiagnosed for two years but was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer within five days in Canada. By then it as terminal. Point is that neither Canada or the US better despite being different. Even with the tax cut Trump gave, there a going to be other costs that will close that gap. Not likely near as dire as this report suggests.

unfortunately taxes are not the only thing US has an advantage over Canada. Freight, fuel, and availability in funds are just a few example. For whatever reason our politicians think the answer to greatness is to tax us more and more. IMO its the lazy way of creating progress for Canada.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
great points and I agree especially on the health care scenario where I have had to rely on greatly in the past several years. My cousins in Florida who have also lived in Canada also say the same that they will take Canada's system all day long considering the costs etc. Hwvr, Canada could do much better on the competitive side IMO. We are the envy of the world when it comes to natural resources, low population and educated society but we suck and exploiting them due to government regs, greenies, etc etc. Good thing we have the forex advantage these days.

I think the biggest problem is that you get these sorts of articles and by that I mean you have someone expressing a viewpoint without taking into consider all of the details. The lower US tax is not exactly true when one takes into account all of the costs it takes to live. As Canadian, we whine and complain about our taxes but nobody takes into account health care. My cousin moved from Calgary to Houston Texas for about the same salary (about 5% more) but the exchange rate (about the same then as now) made it look like a 38% increase. He worked for a huge oil company so his benefits were as good as you can find. House prices were lower etc. etc. At the end of a year he found that he had no more take home pay than he did at home. Undeniably better weather in the winter but unbearably hot in the summer so each place has about 4 months of crappy weather. The US health care is said to be better but his wife was having health issues and went undiagnosed for two years but was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer within five days in Canada. By then it as terminal. Point is that neither Canada or the US better despite being different. Even with the tax cut Trump gave, there a going to be other costs that will close that gap. Not likely near as dire as this report suggests.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The US health care is said to be better but his wife was having health issues and went undiagnosed for two years but was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer within five days in Canada. By then it as terminal.

Not the best example to use. Probably wouldn't have mattered which country she was in.

"Pancreatic cancer is typically diagnosed at a late stage because it doesn't cause symptoms until it's too late. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancreatic_cancer

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup you may be correct but it was the situation that actually happened not chosen as an example. All I can say was that she was diagnosed in Canada within days of arriving and unfortunately the diagnosis came with the advice "you have to get your house in order. You do not have the luxury of taking a long time to process this information" Diagnosed July 2nd, 2008. Her funeral was September 9th 2008. She first went in for complaints related to that (what turned out to be cancer) in 2006. Could it have been diagnosed sooner in Canada? I don't know but my point is that it appears the US system does not appear to be substantially better than ours overall however it is not widely available as it is here in Canada because it is a private system (mostly). People can be deemed "uninsurable" and have been bankrupted trying to deal with medical bills. BTW, that can happen in Canada too if you are not a Canadian citizen. Health care is no less expensive in Canada it is just that it is paid for by our taxes (mostly) and it is as close to "universal" as possible.

So the two systems seem equally effective and equally expensive but the US version is available to fewer people (meaning those who can afford the insurance and do not have ongoing issues that makes them ineligible).

Not the best example to use. Probably wouldn't have mattered which country she was in.

"Pancreatic cancer is typically diagnosed at a late stage because it doesn't cause symptoms until it's too late. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancreatic_cancer

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe it comes down to the Dr. you see. My regular family physician is a pill pusher. Here take this. You're at the age you will have this problem. Take one of these everyday. Meanwhile if you happen to see a locum they seem more interested in your health, especially the younger ones. They are more apt to do tests I find.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha. Had to look up locum and can't say I have observed that personally. Agree that some doctors over prescribe and that is in part an underlying cause of antibiotic resistant bugs. Painkillers seem quite available particularly opioids. Humans. They are the worst.

I believe it comes down to the Dr. you see. My regular family physician is a pill pusher. Here take this. You're at the age you will have this problem. Take one of these everyday. Meanwhile if you happen to see a locum they seem more interested in your health, especially the younger ones. They are more apt to do tests I find.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes you are 100% right on that one Ken. Just 6 months ago I decided to raid my medicine cabinet as it was getting full with meds that I don't take anymore. Took 19 bottles back to the pharmacy after 8 years of try this try that BS. Finally, after some persistence got my brain surgery last year and although not 100% cure its about 80% better. Seems doctors will do anything to cure or "fix" you with pills.

Top Bottom