does it damage

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
does it damage the quad if you are driving through water up to the handle bars.

only if water is being taken in to the engine, which at that height I would guess it is. I would suggest changing all fluids and regreasing all grease points after doing stuff like that.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
thanks man hey do you know how i can get rid of a rev limiter so i can make my grizzly go faster?

Disconnect the wire for the reverse limiter. If ya get in the deep, Don't back out of it..... Keep it on the rev so no back suck !

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
does it damage the quad if you are driving through water up to the handle bars.

Yes it can, first you will get water in your clutch housing first, you will find your belt slipping alot. Then If your in the water more than a few seconds, you may find your airbox full of water, if that is so, your engine may have gobbled up some water. Hopefully you got out quick and that didn't happen. If your in a deep water hole and your drowning your quad, your better to jump off and walk beside it, doing so you may find your quad suddenly bobbing to the top of the water as its floating. You'll be soaked, but you may have saved alot of trouble. Ease your quad to the edge and get out, remember don't turn off as water can come in through the exhaust as well and fill up the cylinder. You would know that if it quit and the starter cant even turn it over or you cant pull the cord, The pistons are hydraulicked (pistons full of water). Drain the water from your Clutch housing by pulling the plug or on BRP models the lower rear bolt. Once your out of the water, pop the panels and access your air filter, and make sure its not full of water, then if so clean and dry the filter to your best ability, and then dont put back yet. You will have to check the oil, Most only fill to the full level, is it over that, are there white/grey bubbles in the oil and traces of water. If so dont run the quad, Get a pull back to the staging area, the oil will require changing. Dispose of the oil properly as well, not on the ground in the bush. You will have to do a few oil changes and run your quad for a few minutes in between. Be sure to be changing the oil filter as well. Once thats completed, check your front and rear differentials for any water, if water is found change those fluids as well. Its pretty hard to get water in the brakes unless they are not sealed the best. You may want to check the reservoir. Check over electrical connections, and was your gas cap tight? Did your fuel level go up any, if you know it did or you were under the water for some time you may have water in your fuel as well. That is not good either if you try to run it through. If your quad is snorkled with a aftermarket snorkel that doesn't leak and you have all your vents done properly they can go quite deep without alot of damage, and I dont know how a battery or electrical systems keep going under so much but they do.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well... if you actually have to ask this question then you have never really riden your atv in water up to the handle bars :confused: If you have then you would already know the answer.

Ofcourse it is not good to do that. Kind of like asking if it is OK to drive your sled on dirt and gravel.

If you are thinking about trying to drive through 4 feet of water plan on spending the time and effort as described in rknight111's reply above!!!

jimmytheman

Reaction score
Yes it can, first you will get water in your clutch housing first, you will find your belt slipping alot. Then If your in the water more than a few seconds, you may find your airbox full of water, if that is so, your engine may have gobbled up some water. Hopefully you got out quick and that didn't happen. If your in a deep water hole and your drowning your quad, your better to jump off and walk beside it, doing so you may find your quad suddenly bobbing to the top of the water as its floating. You'll be soaked, but you may have saved alot of trouble. Ease your quad to the edge and get out, remember don't turn off as water can come in through the exhaust as well and fill up the cylinder. You would know that if it quit and the starter cant even turn it over or you cant pull the cord, The pistons are hydraulicked (pistons full of water). Drain the water from your Clutch housing by pulling the plug or on BRP models the lower rear bolt. Once your out of the water, pop the panels and access your air filter, and make sure its not full of water, then if so clean and dry the filter to your best ability, and then dont put back yet. You will have to check the oil, Most only fill to the full level, is it over that, are there white/grey bubbles in the oil and traces of water. If so dont run the quad, Get a pull back to the staging area, the oil will require changing. Dispose of the oil properly as well, not on the ground in the bush. You will have to do a few oil changes and run your quad for a few minutes in between. Be sure to be changing the oil filter as well. Once thats completed, check your front and rear differentials for any water, if water is found change those fluids as well. Its pretty hard to get water in the brakes unless they are not sealed the best. You may want to check the reservoir. Check over electrical connections, and was your gas cap tight? Did your fuel level go up any, if you know it did or you were under the water for some time you may have water in your fuel as well. That is not good either if you try to run it through. If your quad is snorkled with a aftermarket snorkel that doesn't leak and you have all your vents done properly they can go quite deep without alot of damage, and I dont know how a battery or electrical systems keep going under so much but they do.

hey thanks for all the advice... is the 800 renegade a good working quad or is it just for fun... ad does it get stuck easily?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You are right about the honda transmission but Ive heard a lot of horror stories about them in the past! One last thing,As for performance the Honda is last but I suppose as long as you get there.
catmando!

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Is the 800 renegade a good working quad or is it just for fun... ad does it get stuck easily?
Its more of a fun quad, and it does not get stuck easy but when your stuck your really stuck. Im usually in the front so I test the water and mud holes. Sometimes there a little to deep.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Its more of a fun quad, and it does not get stuck easy but when your stuck your really stuck. Im usually in the front so I test the water and mud holes. Sometimes there a little to deep.

and speaking from experience, he's not the guy you wanna ride right behind, he LOVES to fling the mud backwards!

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey rknight111, is your Renegade Snorkled? How high is the intake stock? Does it handle reasonably through mud/creek's stock or is it a fast guzzler of water?

Qub3d

Reaction score
What about on a Suzuki King Quad? I got water in the belt housing but I think most of it is drained out... is there anything else i need to do? I didn't drain it from a plug because I don't think that it has one... it all just came out the back...

Cancel that, it has one... I'll drain it tomorrow.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
If I have to go into water on my quad that is 4' deep, I put a knee on the seat and pop the front end up out of the water and wheelee it across. The front end will stay up really easy and you won't have water in the airbox.

mudbug

Reaction score
Check out my videos on S&M Tube, that will show you what a Polaris will do with water up to the handle bars.But still follow what rknight111 has said and save your self a few headaches down the road, have fun and ride safe!!!

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about on a Suzuki King Quad? I got water in the belt housing but I think most of it is drained out... is there anything else i need to do? I didn't drain it from a plug because I don't think that it has one... it all just came out the back...

Cancel that, it has one... I'll drain it tomorrow.

Ya I found the my king quad got water in the clutch housing way to easy............So i added a snorkle kit ..................

Top Bottom