Dodge 48RE Rebuild.....

BruteCamo

Reaction score
Well Dodge just rebuilt the tranny in my 07 5.9 again! Second rebuild in 10,000 kms.(truck has 95k) I do run a programmer (Edge Juice with Attitude) but it has never been past level 2. Use it more for the gauges.
So I trust this tranny about as far as I could chuck it now!
I drag a 12k fifth wheel in the summer and a little worried about hittin the hills.
Anybody recommend a decent shop to build me a reliable 48RE or at least upgrade mine so I have some faith in it?

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had mine done at lo-cost transmissions. It was rebuild with billet shafts, triple disk billet conv, clutches, and valve body mostly all suncoast parts etc .. But im sure he could get any brand if you want.

Personally my trans is working great, i haul trailers and goto the track once in a while and daily drive mine and it works great. Its set up so the shifting is comfortable and not harsh. Its put my stresses to bed regarding worrying about the trans while hauling sleds to the mountains or going to work. :cool:

For you since your not racing or adding serious power you could probably benefit from a simple valve body and torq convertor upgrade to handle the stress of the trailer more so any added power.

05Cummins

Reaction score
Ultimate out of the states are good.

NAPC/NADP out of edmonton are also good My 48 behind 1200hp/1490TQ holds up and both companies will build to what you need not more then what you do if you just want a simple rebuild.

You sound like a Tq converter VB extra frictions billet apply lever Gm solenoid double deep pan type rebuild.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ultimate out of the states are good.

NAPC/NADP out of edmonton are also good My 48 behind 1200hp/1490TQ holds up and both companies will build to what you need not more then what you do if you just want a simple rebuild.

You sound like a Tq converter VB extra frictions billet apply lever Gm solenoid double deep pan type rebuild.

Skip the GM and get the Borg Warner solenoid and sensor.

I am thinking about ordering all my parts from DTT and rebuilding my own.

grizzlydave

Reaction score
I would take it into Clutch and Grab Transmission, They are great guys, and a sponsor of Snow and Mud. They answer all you questions. I Also work there with Funtimes,and zrtdaryl so my view is not impartial. If you have any questions about the Transmission just give us a call. I would be happy to answer any of your question, or just give you a impartial view of the work that was done.

BruteCamo

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info and suggestions GrizzlyDave.
Heading to the hills this weekend, I'll be stopping by in the next week or so.
Cheers!

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would take it into Clutch and Grab Transmission, They are great guys, and a sponsor of Snow and Mud. They answer all you questions. I Also work there with Funtimes,and zrtdaryl so my view is not impartial. If you have any questions about the Transmission just give us a call. I would be happy to answer any of your question, or just give you a impartial view of the work that was done.

So what quote for a 48re that will handle about 500HP, where I can drive down one weekend, you guys throw it in and hope I don't wreck it on my way home :)

You can PM me some details, I am thinking if I do it maybe this summer,..

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DTT, Suncoast, Gorend, NADP, ect... all build solid transmissions, just a matter of shopping around to find what you want, and how much you are willing to spend.

Unfortunately I am not surprised to hear that your stock transmission blew up even with "edge on 2" they really can't even hold stock power, and quite frequently fail under stock power.

sledder2009

Reaction score
I suggest calling around as well. I heard Pro-Tech Transmissions also builds good units to hold to the power. The owner has a 2007 Dodge 1 ton and has rebuilt his tranny recently. He goes to the mountains and also tow a trailer in the summer They have a great website at protechtransmissions.com. I suggest you check them out. Good luck

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well Dodge just rebuilt the tranny in my 07 5.9 again! Second rebuild in 10,000 kms.(truck has 95k) I do run a programmer (Edge Juice with Attitude) but it has never been past level 2. Use it more for the gauges.
So I trust this tranny about as far as I could chuck it now!
I drag a 12k fifth wheel in the summer and a little worried about hittin the hills.
Anybody recommend a decent shop to build me a reliable 48RE or at least upgrade mine so I have some faith in it?

Do you have larger tires on your truck?

I tow heavy a large percentage of the time and run 37" tires, however I also regeared to 4:56 gears. My '06 has had a chip since day 1 and has 200,000 km on it and I have never had a tranny issue. There is no substitute for gears when big tires, horsepower and towing are involved....takes a lot of stress off the tranny:beer:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have larger tires on your truck?

I tow heavy a large percentage of the time and run 37" tires, however I also regeared to 4:56 gears. My '06 has had a chip since day 1 and has 200,000 km on it and I have never had a tranny issue. There is no substitute for gears when big tires, horsepower and towing are involved....takes a lot of stress off the tranny:beer:

Yes there is, it's called a standard :d Had 38's on my 04 dodge, stock 3:73 gears and still towed 13,000lbs just fine, just changed what gears you use. But then again stock for stock a standard is 100x the towing machine.

But ya if it's a auto, you gotta regear with bigger tires if you tow.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes there is, it's called a standard :d Had 38's on my 04 dodge, stock 3:73 gears and still towed 13,000lbs just fine, just changed what gears you use. But then again stock for stock a standard is 100x the towing machine.

But ya if it's a auto, you gotta regear with bigger tires if you tow.

Haha...I believe the thread is called 48RE rebuild...last I checked there isn't a manual 48RE:d:d Bet you didn't use 6th gear very often when towing 13,000lbs w38's and 3:73's?
Even Manual transmissions can benefit from a gear change when towing with large tires...that's if you want to use all your gears effectively:beer::beer:

Top Bottom