Advice:Good Buy or Keep Looking

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy myself a new sled this year. The last sled I owned was an 81 Polaris Galaxy...so I'm rather inexperienced with the new stuff. I found a 2001 Mountain Cat 800 carb. with fresh engine rebuild by the dealer and a Racepak Avenger II???. It's a 144 and looks to be in fairly good shape. It has 3426 kms. I don't plan on going to the mountains at all, doing mainly trail/field riding, dragging ice fishing stuff around and the odd sled rally.

I want a good reliable sled that I'm not gonna have to dump a pile of money into in repairs to keep it running over the next couple years. I am very mechanical so maintenance/minor repairs are not a problem.

The Racepak??? don't know anything about these other than it displays EGT's...did the sled have NOS previously and is this reason enough to stay away from it.

They are asking 3500 firm...would this sled be a good buy for me or should I keep looking? It is from a central Alberta Arctic Cat dealer. I will try and attach some pics.

Thanks for any advice and info you could provide.
BUBS.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 187
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 193
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 194

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It probably was piped, and maybe nos. It is a fresh rebuild, but still a bit high in price for a 01. Ask what was done on the rebuild. If it was just a top end (pistons, rings) and the sled doesn't look bagged, see if you can talk them down some.

My $0.02

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That Cat 800 is a good strong, hard pulling torque monster. Bulletproof. If they did a proper rebuild on it (ask for the parts list), the rest looks clean and they are a reputable dealer, it would be a great sled to own.

That Racepac is an expensive adder and nice tuning tool should you wish to stark tweaking the sled.

Good luck.

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They wouldn't budge a red penny on the price but it was the sled I wanted, I'm a BIG guy and it fits me perfectly and pulls like nuts so I brought it home yesterday afternoon. Does anybody know if you can get an owners manual for the racepak online...would like to figure out all of its options. Gonna take it for a first ride today.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seems like you bought it, I may have looked at a used yammy 4 stroke for ice fishing or what ever u are doing, 11 years old machine

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too much money, find something else. Don't fall in love with the sleds when you're looking at them otherwise you'll get suckered into buying them. I'd buy for 3000 and even then it wouldn't be a steal.

Top Bottom