Do you pack a tow rope?

Cumminsnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the weekend I found myself using my winch more as a tow rope they a winch now I am thinking of buying a tow rope and carrying it on the quad then I could also pull forward instead of in reverse.

Any of you carry a tow rope?
What do you think?
Thanks

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The first thing I did after I bought my quad was go to Northern Metallic and have them make up a 50' X 3/16" cable with a loop at each end and bought a couple of small shackles and a sling to use as a tree strap. It's been used at least once every time I've been out quadding. The whole kit and caboodle cost me about $75.00...well worth it.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I always carry two,If you ever end up in the skeg without any trees they can come in real handy!
catmando!

crewcabguy

Reaction score
Tow ropes are essential, fast and easier.no need to get to close to the mud, just throw a rope. Bumpers front and rear help too, when in doubt ,,,, winch it out,,hope that helps

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Yup got 2 of um along with clevis' and hooks the ones from princess auto are1500LBS are awesome think they are 2"X15' loop at each end to go thru.
You should never tow from your winch it strips out the gears. If someone is stuck if they hook the winch to you just hold the brake and let him do the winching don't try to pull him unless last resort, Winches are cheaper than axles and remember you can drive home with a busted winch not axles. If he busts his winch cause he was stuck serves him right for ridin a poo :rolling:

crewcabguy

Reaction score
yeah its always a good idea to pack a couple tow ropes when your riding with belt drive quads, just in case that belt box gets wet.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
IMAGINE THAT, CATMANDOO STUCK??? HARD TO BELIEVE......... LOL :ha_ha::bike::PDT_hah::rollinglaugh:

Yup usually trying to get our fearless leader Ron out of a jam.He has a knack for getting stuck in the middle of fields where there are nothing to winch from!
catmando!

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Ouch, now Ron's in the spotlight for being the guy that's stuck...How things change.
Cheers Ron!!
:D:D:D
Yup usually trying to get our fearless leader Ron out of a jam.He has a knack for getting stuck in the middle of fields where there are nothing to winch from!
catmando!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Ouch, now Ron's in the spotlight for being the guy that's stuck...How things change.
Cheers Ron!!
:D:D:D

WHAT, RON STUCK?? THAT NEVER HAPPENS EITHER, DOES IT....... REMEMBER EAGLES PASS?? I THINK THERE'S PICS IN THE PHOTO SECTION OF US HOLDING HIS SLED VERTICAL, STUCK IN A 10 FT HOLE(BEST STUCK OF THE YEAR)...... OUR ILLUSTRIOUS LEADER DEFINATELY HAS A KNACK FOR GETTING STUCK IN THE WINTER, NOW I GUESS HE HAS MASTERED THE MUD TOO..............LOL:D

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Ron Stuck?? Oh The Tradition Continues!!!

What, Ron Stuck?? What Are You Thinking, Kittykatdooman And Sledbunnyracer?? That Never Happens, Does It....... Remember Eagles Pass?? I Think There's Pics In The Photo Section Of Us Holding His Sled Vertical, Stuck In A 10 Ft Hole(best Stuck Of The Year Award --- We Could Call The Awards The "stuckies")...... Our Illustrious Leader Definately Has A Knack For Getting Stuck In The Winter, Now I Guess He Has Mastered The Mud Too..............lol:d

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always have one person in the group pack a rope
1st reason toeing someone in reverse because you dont have a toe rope and they dont have a winch is not cool.
2nd toeing with a winch is hard on them i found this out the hard way luckily it was warranted.
3rd sometimes your winch can not reach a person from safe winching spot. rope extension on it comes in handy
4th sometimes its more effective to pull someone because you can give them a jerk to budge them out of the hole where as your winch will suck down and power out..

another thing we always make each of us pack is a snatch block it doubles your effective strength of winch and can really get you out of a pickle when your extreemly stuck.. one thing about a snatch block though you need a (ROPE) or another chain to tie around the tree your pulling from. so another reason to keep a toe rope.

also a clevis or even a ball on your toe hitch is nearly a must. something to tie too even a winch cable tied to your hitch.

have these tools and you will always be able to toe another atv out when the going gets tuff.

Top Bottom