Dirt Biking Boots Necessary?

ChrisG

Reaction score
Hey guys im looking for your opinions on dirt biking boots as i am new to dirt biking. I picked up a rmz450 and am wondering what you guys wear for boots when riding trails in the west country. Dirt bike boots seem to be very slick and dont seem to have the grip i'd want but i think that'd be the trade off of not breaking ankles. any thoughts?
Chris

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BUY THEM. You can get different styles as for grips. I twisted my ankle 180 degrees on a table top when I was in my early twenties. Like five minutes into the ride. The next three days really sucked. I had them for my next ride. Thinking about getting another bike this year and boots will be bought before the first ride.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear Alpinestar Tech8's...love em. They are a little pricey if your just going to be do alot mudding tho.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boots are a must, but don’t stop there,,,,,chest protector,quality Full face helmet, knee/shine protection and a neck brace, even if itsjust the foam ring type..
In my opinion that should be the minimum.

ChrisG

Reaction score
thanks for the feedback. i have helmets (from quadding) and my brother gave me a chest protector. i just wasnt sure if there were some of you that wore some thing other than bike boots on the trails. we will c about getting some new ones as they are pricey. ive found a few "gently" used ones on kijiji so i might go that route for this summer.
chris

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get quadding boots they are like a motocross boot but with a more aggressive sole. I have a had a few tumbles because of losing traction with my moto boots in the mud.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the feedback. i have helmets (from quadding) and my brother gave me a chest protector. i just wasnt sure if there were some of you that wore some thing other than bike boots on the trails. we will c about getting some new ones as they are pricey. ive found a few "gently" used ones on kijiji so i might go that route for this summer.
chris

There are deals to be had with people getting out of the sport and with feet growing.....gotta luv kijiji

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of the reasons many MX boots do not have treaded soles is due to guys going into the corner with their foot down. You want it to slide away and not grip the ground at the track.

ATV boots generally have a lugged sole. ATV boots sometimes do not have the ankle protection that MX boots have.

You invested into quite the bike, you shouldn't cheap out on boots. Go try as many boots on as you can at shops, get a feel for what you like. I prefer to wear higher end MX boots and have never had issues with the smooth soles. Try and pick a brand that you can still purchase replacement buckles for. Many of the higher end MX boots are not water proof due to the extra venting and such. If you want a water proof boot be sure to look for ones that are more an all weather boot. Again you can sacrifice some protection with certain boots.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boots are a must. Haven't ridden in awhile, but had the a-stars techs. Don't cheap out!

Top Bottom