Help deciding which bike?

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok fellas, I rented two bikes this last weekend to give it a try and seem to be hooked. I'm going to pick up a bike this week. The rentals I tried were a 2016 yz450fx with 2016 yeti 129 and a ktm 500xcw with timbersled st. Both were running Yeti skis. In the end both of these machines were very compareable. I believe the extra torque of the 500 was making up for the heavier skid. Both had comparable transmissions and seemed to hold 3rd and occasionally 4th the same. I did seem to like the ktm better but was simply because of ergos and bar position which can be adapted to.

I have my eye on 2 bikes right now. Both bikes are fully set up for snow and lets assume accessory setups are identical for comparison. Both kits have all brand new bearings, sprockets and chains so let's assume that both are mechanically 100% for comparison. Same price point.

2014 FE 501
- 18hrs on bike
- 2015 timbersled st
- updated 2.5" contour track

2013.5 sxf450 factory edition
- about 60hrs on bike
- 2013 timbersled st

What u guys think? I haven't been able to ride a setup with a close ratio. There are so many different opinions out there on this. I come from a motocross background, will the 501 low revving motor be a little tame for aggressive riding?

I am leaning towards the 501 as alot of the riding areas we go to have longer trails and our crew flies up them pretty quick on the sleds. The taller gears would help with this. I would estimate putting on about 70-80 hrs on a year and know the life span of the 501 motor is substantially better. Any other things I should consider? Any input would be great! Thanks guys

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id ride a non wide ratio bike before you pick
(assuming that they are both stock motors)
That sxf will have more snap then the fx or xcw I dont know husky but i think thats a xc bike as well ? (wide ratio?)
I think that husky would be mellower in stock form then the ktm and every snow bike can use all the hp you can get
I'd trade the taller gear on the trail for a snappier bike both the kits your looking at are on timber so id be looking at the best usable power (yeti can give up a little hp)
that being said you can boogie on a close ratio (my bike is a 2010 crf) i dont get passed by sleds on the trail and aren't that far behind the fx i ride with enough to care
he can open the trailer, turn the heat on and pour the first drink every time!

that 2.5 track is a personel preference as well i dont like the tapered track washes out on super steep side hills that are set up
and the stupid thing falls over alot more when you stop
Id say this is just opinion same as ski i thought yeti ski is way better until i saw a yeti kit in revy and the owner swears the timber ski is better (first time i saw a timber ski on a yeti kit)

trying not to be biased because im pretty sure i know the owner of that 13.5 his stuff is always maintained really well so i put zero in the 60hrs vs 18 hrs
does that husky have any extras?
i know you said assume accessory list is identical but all this crap costs money
wide foot pegs
hand guards
led light
skid plate
engine shroud
xc bigger fuel tank
seat concepts seat
Liquid heated bars are awesome!

that ktm has everything on my wish list for a snowbike assuming its the one i know

both are great bikes but you sound like your already questioning the wide ratio which is a flag to me no one cares about the trail might be worth a ride before $ come out

Last edited:

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The KTM belongs to Derek. Definitely a cool cat that takes care of his stuff. Both bikes are pretty well equally set up with extras. The Husky has the same motor and tranny as the ktm xcw500. Excellent point in regards to the contour track. Thanks for the input. Cheers

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with a 450 the rev limit is way higher then the 501 ! Dont listen to flabajaba he rides a honda or try too! lol Wide ratio 450 bikes rock as you just have to gear them down alittle

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with a 450 the rev limit is way higher then the 501 ! Dont listen to flabajaba he rides a honda or try too! lol Wide ratio 450 bikes rock as you just have to gear them down alittle

LOL
ya wide ratio didn't need any motor work hey jeff? GYTR on speed dial just to be even with 7-8 yr old bikes

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL
ya wide ratio didn't need any motor work hey jeff? GYTR on speed dial just to be even with 7-8 yr old bikes
No motor work needed to spank a honda my kawi 110 BB hits harder..
Assaultn i would try and test a close ratio out I think you would like the mx bike better.. I ride a fx with a few tweaks to give it some snap and lower gearing on a yeti kit and its best of both worlds

jasonaa

Reaction score
BUY the 450 ...the 501 fork angles are sooooo different in comparison , 450 bikes feel so much more nimble...Imo

Top Bottom