Dirt bike insurance ??

doin it in the dirt

Reaction score
So its that time again and since we recently bought two dirt bikes, I figured I better add them to my policy and get them insured.

I go to the same place I have two vehicles, two quads, and a side by side insured. They say oh its not a problem we will add them to your policy.

Then all of a sudden it becomes a deal!! She is telling me that my dirt bikes are classified in the motorcycle category, so I was ok, then she wants to know the mileage on them and all this other info that just seemed odd and didn't seem to match up with dirt bikes at all. I then remind her that it is an off road vehicle and not a motorcycle to be used on highways. She said she knew what I was talking about and this was the only way to do it. She emailed me my policy and attached to the email she said she could insure my husbands bike no issues but not mine as I do not have a class three license????? Ummm you catch that? A class three is four 3 axle plus-which my husband has for work, and I of course do not. But a Motorcycle license is a class six. Am I confused and wrong here or is she? Cause I was never told you needed a motorcycle license to ride dirt bikes?? Anyone else run into these issues? I am about to call her now and talk to her about this policy and go from there, was just wondering if anyone else had issues insuring there bikes?? Thanks.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why are you insuring separately? All my sleds(3) and quad are insured in both our names. Never had a a problem. Maybe she got confused and tried to put you under a road bike category which, of course, you would need a license. How do you license and register a 50 cc dirt bike?? No child is going to have a license. hmmmm.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of insurance companies require a motorycle licence even for dirt bikes for some stupid reason
i have been asked by three or four different companies

joekikass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should not have any problems. I use intact insurance they asked for the make year vin, even with my bike being imported from oversees zero issues .

doin it in the dirt

Reaction score
Why are you insuring separately? All my sleds(3) and quad are insured in both our names. Never had a a problem. Maybe she got confused and tried to put you under a road bike category which, of course, you would need a license. How do you license and register a 50 cc dirt bike?? No child is going to have a license. hmmmm.

I wasn't insuring them seperately, she just said his can be insured with no issues as he had a class three, and mine could not because I do not hold a class three? I dunno she frustrrated me. But we are the same, the two quads, rhino, and truck are all in both of our names, but for some reason this lady did not know what she was talking about!! I am waiting for the lady i usually deal with to come back from holidays then I will get it straightened out!!!

Thanks everyone for the info, I might just end up looking into a different company!!

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wasn't insuring them seperately, she just said his can be insured with no issues as he had a class three, and mine could not because I do not hold a class three? I dunno she frustrrated me. But we are the same, the two quads, rhino, and truck are all in both of our names, but for some reason this lady did not know what she was talking about!! I am waiting for the lady i usually deal with to come back from holidays then I will get it straightened out!!!

Thanks everyone for the info, I might just end up looking into a different company!!

Call Brad at Darson's insurance in Edmonton... his add is on here all the time... he's a fellow snow and mudder and good guy to deal with. He's been into our sports for over 20 years so you get the added benefit of someone who actually knows what your talking about. I used him when i came here from BC for my quad my regular insurance people just didn't get it... i had a atv and honda 450x and they didn't understand that x could be insured as a bike or kept as a dirt bike... no idea what a legal light kit was or anything...

Top Bottom