Dirt Bike?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Modman and Lady. Whenever you want to go out let me know. I have buddies just starting to ride that could join also. For the more advanced rider I can take you on some pretty wicked trails out there. Most stuff is known by more experienced riders, but lots of riders not wanting to venture off the beaten path don't come across some of the best trails out there!

We can feel it out throughout the day and can adjust trails as we ride.

All I ask is you come prepared with a bike in good condition and proper gear. Breakdowns 50 km's from a truck aren't fun.

Those GPS maps that are out there are good, but if people don't know how to read or follow them it doesn't help much. On top of that a simple trail can lead into ugly stuff forcing you to re-route.

Mclean is often very muddy in the spring. It's best to let it dry out as much as possible before going, but that being said I know the areas that don't retain as much moisture and when everything else is soaked these trails remain damp so they are great. Also these trails don't allow ATV's on them so they don't have 5' deep mud holes. No excessive wear on the trail, and no dust! I try to ride as conservatively as possible. I don't ride mud or trails that cause excessive abuse to the environment so we can all continue to enjoy them! Going that next step further I ride with a trials tire to limit errosion. Instead of spinning they grip, and when they do spin they don't trench.

Just PM me when you guys are wanting to go out. I go, or want to go nearly every weekend. I'm a M-F office guy though. Just let me know what you guys like to ride, or have rode in the past so we can figure out the proper staging area and people to ride with.

I don't think my bike has the fuel range for 50 km. :(

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What type of bike do you have? If you have a new MX bike or trail bike you'd likely be impressed.

We often ride 50-70 KM's in a day and still have gas to burn. Haven't pushed it much past 70, but on my 04-RM I felt I could get close to 80-90. This KTM (08 250XC) has a bigger tank but seems to like the fuel more. Usually get reserve around 55ish (no odometer. Relying on friends with trail bikes to give me that info)

winterax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We always pack 2-3 of those steel fuel bottles that you can get from campers village for the guys with the smaller tanks. They fit not too bad in the back back & won't break in a crash

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK guys I gotta level with ya - I was just having some fun. :D

I've been riding for a "few" years, my current bike is a Kawi Ninja (yes streetbike) powered, custom frame hillclimber. It's 11 feet long and needs a football field to turn around, probably not going to do well at McLean Creek in the tight trails :D LOL. The motor has been prepped with some "tweaks" and so the gas mileage is non-existant. Unless someone is running race gas in their dirt bike, borrowing fuel is not an option. :) It has a custom tank that only holds 3 liters.

It needs to have the starter hooked to a truck battery to turn the motor over due to the higher compression. Once it starts you can't shut it off until you are back at the truck or you can't start it again. Needless to say, the gearing does not allow it to plod along at moderate speeds. I'm running a Skat 10 Paddle Intimidator tire on the rear.

Sorry - but I don't think I'll be trail riding at McLean with you boys and girls. :D

AliciaAlways

Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Wow, i feel bad for neglecting my account on here, you guys are so full of informaiton its amazing. I really wish I had checked back more often, but between school, work, life its hard. I have tested out a few bikes, most recently a KLX140L, I might go with that, althought it was a 4 stroke, and i wanna try a 2 stroke, just to see what I prefer!

honda mike

Reaction score
Hi Alicia, My wife, who is a brand new rider, is on a KLX 140L and it is working great for her as a bike to learn on. Good stand over height for her, she's 5'7'' and 125lbs. We are mostly on logging roads right now but are starting to go more onto trails and some play areas, gravel, sand etc. and that bike seems to be handling it all quite well. Hers is an 09.
Good luck,:)
Mike

Mike_505_SXF

Reaction score
My suggestion would be to go with KTM for the price they cannot be beat.
Cost of oil and parts is a little hard to compare (4 stroke wise) and really who buys factory spark plugs a liter of motorex for a KTM may cost 19 bucks but there is no trans/clutch oil engine and clutch share the same oil thus using less oil overall.
I would suggest a trail version 150 2 stroke or 250 4 stroke a four stroke I would say is an easier to ride somewhat more versitile bike. Much more torque with a fourstroke also however with that torque comes weight.
My suggestion would ultimately be a KTM 250 4 stoke considering you are capable of handleing the extra weight of the bike.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Biggest differences in all the bikes listed are 2stroke/4stroke and aircooledliquid cooled.

The KLX140 in the large wheel is a great begginer/novice bike and has the estart which is a nice option if riding lots of trails, but could lagg behind the liquid cooled 2 and 4 strokes in hot weather or wide open stretches.

There are also the CRF150R which is a nice little liquid cooled 4 stroke that can really put a beatin on the smaller 2-strokes. I don't know much of the KTM's, my buddy rides a 450 and it its crazy! I liked the 150's but didn't see any I could play around with when I wanted to buy.

I ended up with a KX250F and its a lot of bike to get used to after not riding for near 10 or more years. I had a little suspension work and seat shaving to get the seat a little lower for my short legs.

I think besides all the brand differences, rider comfort is the biggest issue. If you are a recreational rider, get something you can feel comfortable and confident riding so you enjoy yourself. If you go to the track a few times a month and ride the trails you want something you can enjoy.

If you still are looking for a bike, get out and try and ride some and not just around parking lots, you want to get a feel for a bike in the terrain you will be riding.

Airborne30

Reaction score
My two cents: If your under 5'5, find a bike that you can put both feet flat on the ground and start with a four stroke. Enough to learn balance, wheel spin, gravel roll, rut wobble without having to worry bout that unexpected nos boost at an in op time. ha ha
I love my two-stroke.

Top Bottom