Dirt Bike

the Champ

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a bike this year. I have no 2wheeler experience yet but a couple of my buddies have one and I would like to check it out. I woud like to hear some of you guy's opinions on the different bikes out there, 2 stroke or 4 stroke, engine sizes, brand of bike, etc. Any opinion or feedback would definetly help me out on my decision.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a Honda CR250 and love it. There is nothin like the sound and crazy power band like a 2 stroke. The 4 strokes are nice and some what more reliable. I would recomend a 250 4 stroke for your first bike as they have lots of power but not quite as crazy as a 450 thumper. One the other hand, you can pick up a really nice 250 two stroke for $4000.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a KX 250 and love the bike. I also am friends with 5 other guys that have similar bikes(most of theirs are newer :mad: ) We have had nothing but sucess with these bikes and would highly recomend them. I have been on a 4 stroke but didnt really like it, maybe because the powerband is different. The only thing I can recommend is to buy a bike for your riding style, if you are riding all trails a trail bike will be great( bigger gas tank, lower first gear) or if you ride track buy a motocross bike. I wish I had a trail bike for some of the trails I ride because the gas tank is just not quite big enough in my mx bike to go as far into the bush as possible.

Also before you buy, these bike can be expensive to repair, accesorize, maintain, buy good boots and helmet so make sure your budget has the funds to buy some stuff as soon as you buy a bike. A friend of mine just bought a 01 KX 250 and he spent about $250 on boots, pants and helet and he inherited some of my boots gloves etc. He also had to do rear axle bearings, sprockets and chains, rear tire and brake pads. He knew about all of these repairs because he had someone that knew what to look for when purchasing a used bike if buying used make sure you have someone who knows what to look for when buying.

Good Luck

the Champ

Reaction score
I have a KX 250 and love the bike. I also am friends with 5 other guys that have similar bikes(most of theirs are newer :mad: ) We have had nothing but sucess with these bikes and would highly recomend them. I have been on a 4 stroke but didnt really like it, maybe because the powerband is different. The only thing I can recommend is to buy a bike for your riding style, if you are riding all trails a trail bike will be great( bigger gas tank, lower first gear) or if you ride track buy a motocross bike. I wish I had a trail bike for some of the trails I ride because the gas tank is just not quite big enough in my mx bike to go as far into the bush as possible.

Also before you buy, these bike can be expensive to repair, accesorize, maintain, buy good boots and helmet so make sure your budget has the funds to buy some stuff as soon as you buy a bike. A friend of mine just bought a 01 KX 250 and he spent about $250 on boots, pants and helet and he inherited some of my boots gloves etc. He also had to do rear axle bearings, sprockets and chains, rear tire and brake pads. He knew about all of these repairs because he had someone that knew what to look for when purchasing a used bike if buying used make sure you have someone who knows what to look for when buying.

Good Luck

Thanks teamgreen, the info helped. Funny enough, most my friends that I talk to like the 4 stroke better. I will probably buy a new bike, and I hear boots are a must(my buddy broke his ankle a few years back riding...he would never wear boots before, but now he's changed his tune ). As far as the trail riding goes, that's all the summer riding I've really ever done, but on a four wheeler. The transition should be interesting. Is a trail style bike have a lower top end speed than a track bike, or is the only difference the fuel tank and lower first gear?

dirtrider44

Reaction score
I have a ttr 125 lol..yea its small and im selling it..going for the ttr 230 or a crf.....i highly recomend the ttr 230 tho...very reliable and awesome clutch!!

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 Honda XR 400 it is a great trail bike reliable as hell not a huge power house but enough to get the job done Its geting old though probabaly get a new bike next year a Honda CRFX 450 or Yamaha WR450 both bikes might be a bit much for a beginer.Try a Suzuki DRZ 400 this is assuming you are looking for a trail bike not a race bike.

RM-Z250

Reaction score
if you're looking to do trails the TTR wouldnt be my first choice - it's under powered.

I suggest looking at a Yamaha WR 250. Best all round bike by far :)

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Before you buy a 4 stroke bike look into the maintence, how often they need servicing or work. My neighbours 16 year old son blew up his engine in his KTM bike now he requires a total rebuild. You need to do oil changes alot. The rebuild is in the thousands will take 1 1/2 weeks with waiting for the parts. 2 strokes dont have alot of parts and require less maintence and can be rebuild quikly and less expensive. Do some research on the net and check out the pros and cons. Just my :twocents:

GRD

Reaction score
FYI

The CHAMP bought a Yammy 250 4 stroke.... Brand new...

Nice bike, got the chance to take it for a burp this past weekend.

GRD

Reaction score
Thats him on it in his avitar. I never took any pictures this weekend. I'll get him on to post some.

the Champ

Reaction score
HEY, WHERE'S THE PICS???

I posted two pics of the bike back on 05-14-2007, under the thread title: "GOT HER!!!"
I'm heading to Brule this weekend for probably the last major summer riding effort( besides bombing around home ), and then SHE'S SLEDDIN' SEASON!!!
Promise to post some riding pics once I get back!

RM-Z250

Reaction score
You ever do any track riding Champ? I've just bought a 05 rm-z250 and I dont think it'd be suitable for trails.

Was thinking about buying a WR as I cant find anyone who goes down any motocross tracks locally :(

the Champ

Reaction score
You ever do any track riding Champ? I've just bought a 05 rm-z250 and I dont think it'd be suitable for trails.

Was thinking about buying a WR as I cant find anyone who goes down any motocross tracks locally :(

I've never been to the track, yet...I do plan on checking one out, though, I heard about a few already!

Reaction score
I ride a Honda CR250 and love it. There is nothin like the sound and crazy power band like a 2 stroke. The 4 strokes are nice and some what more reliable. I would recomend a 250 4 stroke for your first bike as they have lots of power but not quite as crazy as a 450 thumper. One the other hand, you can pick up a really nice 250 two stroke for $4000.

get a honda crf 450R, thats what i have and wooooowwww that is an awsome bike, u can pull a cat walk goin ahundred with a breeze, if yer not all for power, get the 250

Top Bottom