DECEMBER Snow conditions

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back up Belle, had some early bluesky but disappeared in the early afternoon. Hit the East side of the mountain and found 2.5ft thru there! A few stucks and some tree action made for a lot of fun!

Attachments

• Winter 2013-14. 039.jpg
    Winter 2013-14. 039.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 461
  • Winter 2013-14. 040.jpg
    Winter 2013-14. 040.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 459
  • Winter 2013-14. 044.jpg
    Winter 2013-14. 044.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 452
  • Winter 2013-14. 036.jpg
    Winter 2013-14. 036.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 453
  • Winter 2013-14. 045.jpg
    Winter 2013-14. 045.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 453

channonmanuel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Renshaw TiT deep all day today.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Yep tit deep all day even the whoops on the trail down. The grooming on renshaw with that many people going up there needs to happen at night for a good ride in and mid day for a good ride out! Not sure exactly how many sleds went up today but over 200 forsure 200x20$ for trail passes is 4000$ that groomer made today. Should have been groomed twice!

Sent from my iPhone using

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really???? U wanna kiss that groomer blade coming around a corner if you head down early or try to pass it if you head up late. You obviously don't have a clue how long it takes to go up and down 27km with the groomer properly nor have u considered the hazards. Give ur head a shake.

thekid1111

Reaction score
I thought the trail was ok. The last few miles up before the cabin was a bit much but with that many sleds up there and some of them with no clue as you can see I think the guys do a hell of a job with that trail all hours of the night so we can up the Boost and tear the **** out of that tit deep snow.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Really???? U wanna kiss that groomer blade coming around a corner if you head down early or try to pass it if you head up late. You obviously don't have a clue how long it takes to go up and down 27km with the groomer properly nor have u considered the hazards. Give ur head a shake.
I believe it's 9.5 hrs round trip just to do renshaw,would make for a long day.

hughie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep tit deep all day even the whoops on the trail down. The grooming on renshaw with that many people going up there needs to happen at night for a good ride in and mid day for a good ride out! Not sure exactly how many sleds went up today but over 200 forsure 200x20$ for trail passes is 4000$ that groomer made today. Should have been groomed twice!

Go ride in the field around beaumont, they are nice and smooth, or buy a groomer and see how profitable it is to groom in the middle of the day when it doesnt hav a hope in hell of setting up, like this has never been discussed, @ssclowns, they truly are everywheres aren't they

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go ride in the field around beaumont, they are nice and smooth, or buy a groomer and see how profitable it is to groom in the middle of the day when it doesnt hav a hope in hell of setting up, like this has never been discussed, @ssclowns, they truly are everywheres aren't they

Too many people don't understand or just down know the dynamics of grooming a trail. The trailer groomer smooths out the trail but mother nature need some time to finalize the overall condition of the trail. Mother nater works best if she is left to condition the trail on her own. She doesn't need any sleds pounding down the trail until she is done. Of course temperature is a factor that has to be considered.

Think of the trails as an Angle Food cake. You open the oven door too soon and your cake flops.

MMMMMM Angle Food cake.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your right, Patience is everything!
Ive been riding McBride/Vale for a very short time, since 2007 I guess, and this trail condition topic has be a hot one for the last few years and Ive kinda wondered why, i dont remember the trails being this rough, what changed I wonder? Weather? possibly, Grooming equipment/style, Im not really sure, But when your bobbing up and down on the trail at 20MPH like a small boat in Ocean, yah have time to think in that 27KM! LOL.
I used help on the groomer back home and have just as crazy temp swings, but no rutted out trails, with smaller lugged sleds mind you.
The only thing I can think of that is constant, is the increased popularity of Boosted, Higher HP, deeper lugged sleds. Combine that with itchy trigger fingers IMO plays a huge part in the decay of the trail surface, combine that with less than Ideal early season grooming weather, sets a bad memory in the trail thats very hard to get rid of.
Even stock sleds do this but it does not take much throttle input to make a little bump behind yah. Ive met the groomer last year on the way down, and about 5k down the road it was like he was never there.
Yah I know its hard not to, guys are excited, and anxious to get to the deep stuff, but if everyone including myself,tried to stay at a consistant throttle input going up I bet the ride down would be a bit better.

Please Keep in mind one important fact, think about how rough the trails would be if they were not groomed at all! There is a person putting the time in the seat of that machine, doing their best to produce the smoothest trail that he/she can.

With all this new snow, please be mindful of the snow load on the hills, and have a safe and Happy 2014 everyone!!

Last edited:

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All reports are of stupid deep pow up top form our riding areas. And it has been snowing HARD all day in town. There is gonna be some really crazy deep pow to be had.. Its gonna be eye ball deep powder tomorrow up top I believe.

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All reports are of stupid deep pow up top form our riding areas. And it has been snowing HARD all day in town. There is gonna be some really crazy deep pow to be had.. Its gonna be eye ball deep powder tomorrow up top I believe.

It's already that deep! Just got to know where to go.

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like a groomed trail to,but I'm starting to think that if the trail is not pool table smooth out come the winers, todays sleds with up graded suspension and long tracks are like heaven to ride compared to the 90's. If the most important thing is to ride in the deep powder then you will indever any trailer to get there and be glad. Like I said I like a smooth trail to but nature has away of changing that. So be thankful there is even a trail there. Now I'm 52 and can handle these trails so you young pups, quit wining and just ride.
P.S. It won't bother me if trials were never groomed again, I think about 300 guys would stay home and only they real mountain riders would be out. Never would be rode out again

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Yesterday I ride Lucielle, As I wanted to grab a belt or two from Darren from E&S. Thanks for bringing those. Rode with Darren and JonMarc. Darren brought the new viper with a Hurricane 190 kit on it. He was tuning and setting it up. Went for a ride and seemed good. There was about 70 riders up there and it was starting to get tracked up. I guess in the butterfly it was much better. It snowed all day up there, about 3" on truck when we got back. About a foot of new snow, and more in the tree's. Trail was excellent.

Belle, reports of 2'-3', great riding conditions, good trail conditions

Renshaw, Heavy snow, 2'- 4 1/2' of Daily fresh snow, tracks are gone by the next morning. Need to hit the trail early to get a good smooth ride up otherwise semi rough. Several broken rear shock bolts on the Polaris Pros from the ride down (small bolt with 8.8 stamped on it). Groomer groomed twice yesterday.

6" of new snow on the Hottub at Mountain Haven B&B, and snowing again, WOW.

Last edited:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I ride Lucielle, As I wanted to grab a belt or two from Darren from E&S. Thanks for bringing those. Rode with Darren and JonMarc. Darren brought the new viper with a Hurricane 190 kit on it. He was tuning and setting it up. Went for a ride and seemed good. There was about 70 riders up there and it was starting to get tracked up. I guess in the butterfly it was much better. It snowed all day up there, about 3" on truck when we got back. About a foot of new snow, and more in the tree's. Trail was excellent.

Belle, reports of 2'-3', great riding conditions, good trail conditions

Renshaw, Heavy snow, 2'- 4 1/2' of Daily fresh snow, tracks are gone by the next morning. Need to hit the trail early to get a good smooth ride up otherwise semi rough. Several broken rear shock bolts on the Polaris Pros from the ride down (small bolt with 8.8 stamped on it). Groomer groomed twice yesterday.

6" of new snow on the Hottub at Mountain Haven B&B, and snowing again, WOW.

Thanks for the update, sorry we did not join you but one guy crushed his sled and some family issues for another so we are not heading out until Thursday. Maybe next time. .6Km on my new sled, I don't care who has life issues Friday cause I am going riding and looks like another big dump for Thursday!

J__Zak

Reaction score
Was a wicked weekend of riding rode belle and Lucille both up to the bumper or deeper. Visibility could have been better but snow was worth it.

tmurphy

Reaction score
Well said!!
i like a groomed trail to,but i'm starting to think that if the trail is not pool table smooth out come the winers, todays sleds with up graded suspension and long tracks are like heaven to ride compared to the 90's. If the most important thing is to ride in the deep powder then you will indever any trailer to get there and be glad. Like i said i like a smooth trail to but nature has away of changing that. So be thankful there is even a trail there. Now i'm 52 and can handle these trails so you young pups, quit wining and just ride.
P.s. It won't bother me if trials were never groomed again, i think about 300 guys would stay home and only they real mountain riders would be out. Never would be rode out again

Top Bottom