D00 860 big bore kit

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
compression ratio used to be 14:1 lol. He has been told today that it had leaned out in mid range, caused by what I asked and they have not told him. Something smells funny to me!

is the needle shimmed at all?

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so where did the engine failure occur - sicamous elevation parking lot is about 1200 ft - I do ride a little caution at the lower elevation with running a 14:1 head but running C111 should be sufficient - piston errosion around other edge would indicate detenation - need pics of piston failure

foghorn

Reaction score
I have 30 thou shims on my RK Tech 860 and is still alittle lean at mid throttle.Hits 1250 deg in a hurry here at Red Deer so hope it is better at Revy tomarrow.The guy that owned before me scuffed pistons real bad but he had no Egts Not sure if running a Big bore without egts is a wise option.Spend that money on a Big bore may as well spend 500 more for gauges.

TPOWER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well my speaciality 860 made it 500 kms before melting down pto side, with 4 gallons of race which also seemed high to me 13;1 head, 440 main jets and i was told it most likely was midrange, it went late in the day after riding chappel all day , i was on the nos 40 shot at the time but even the noss is the new boss sytenm which has its own fuel bottle, in mid range my egts can pop 1250, just got bck from sicamous and broke new top end in but shes running on the edge, im going to jet up to be safe and run an air/fuel gage. not a big fan of edmontons 860 but what do u do when u already have over 4g invested in top ends, very poor customer support, i let them install first one, just my 2 cents.

cscherer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
main seal on the engine next to the primary....2008 as well....sounds like the same issue.

Mine leaned out and lost power on the way up climina....not even 500k.

RK Tek

Reaction score
Website
www.2strokeheads.com
specialty 860 is a RK860 is it not?

The specialty kit is not a RK Tek kit.. It uses the RK Tek Head but using the head does not make it an RK Tek kit... There are at least 7 perf shops that use the RK Tek head on their big bore kits.. Again, having the RK Tek head does not make it an RK Tek Big Bore kit..There is much more to ANY big bore kit than just the head.. Having said that, I hear that the Specialty Big bore kits run well but I have never ridden one.

NOS is always a concern despite the seperate fuel source.. I would look into that area.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well my speaciality 860 made it 500 kms before melting down pto side, with 4 gallons of race which also seemed high to me 13;1 head, 440 main jets and i was told it most likely was midrange, it went late in the day after riding chappel all day , i was on the nos 40 shot at the time but even the noss is the new boss sytenm which has its own fuel bottle, in mid range my egts can pop 1250, just got bck from sicamous and broke new top end in but shes running on the edge, im going to jet up to be safe and run an air/fuel gage. not a big fan of edmontons 860 but what do u do when u already have over 4g invested in top ends, very poor customer support, i let them install first one, just my 2 cents.

lol how can any sled run on 440 jets, and you have a 13:1 head on it.... stock is 480 jets!!! the point of the BB is to make more power, just looking at your jets you might as well be running a 600. I run 560 jets with .30 shims and pump gas and this is on the edge for me. We have a single pipe pump gas engine as well running a 560PTO/540MAG setup and it is bang on with .30 shims. My opinion, too little jet and too much race gas. You can easily burn by the egts on a BB setup and not even know it, as well if you run to much race gas in a sled not really designed for it, this too "can" spike the egts because of the slower burn. People seem to think cause they got a BB they need "race" gas. On a pump gas engine your actually going to see a performance loss not gain.

cscherer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the clarification.

the only specialty 860 i saw was very impressive

Mine was a specialty 860...went like snot...guy I sold it too says the same...

Specialty was really good about the motor when it let go....warrantied all the parts and I paid the labor....it was a good deal as the seal was not there issue....

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am riding a Specialty 860...it rips and hasn't missed a beat all winter.

I would have to say the Specialty / RK Tek thing is a bit misleading as the Specialty web site does market it as an RK Tek kit...i bought mine used so perhaps when you talk to them they clarify this but on their website it is pretty clearly using the RK Tek name...I.e.

"RK-TEK 860 R big bore kits, for skidoo 800R engines New Call Us Details"

and then when you click details...

"RK-TEK 860 R big bore kits

* For 2007 - 2009 skidoo 800R engines
* Includes: Pistons, Heads, Wrist Pins, Bearings and Gaskets"

Like I said mine works well but if someone bought a kit from them on the premise of the RK Tek name and RK Tek is on here claiming that's not the case they (Specialty) may want to change how they present that.

mark4

Reaction score
I guess this is what happens when you don't buy from a shop that actually rides and tests in the area you want to ride. such as the BC mtns.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess this is what happens when you don't buy from a shop that actually rides and tests in the area you want to ride. such as the BC mtns.

Which shop is that? Because i know and can guarantee you that specialty sleds spends alot of time riding and testing in the BC mtns. And has done for several years now.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have seen Ken always in blue river weather he is test or not ... and he is just as much of a dick on the mountain as he is at his shop

jasonrev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I can't say I know where and how much he tests, but you talk to the reputable guys in the shops in B.C. and he does'nt have a reputation for making good running sleds. They look real nice with all the anodizing and powdercoating though.:d

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They look real nice with all the anodizing and powdercoating though.:d

not say'n anything about Ken that hasn't already been said.....

just say'n don't matter who builds it.... its gonna eventually ch!t the bed and....."Chrome don't get yah home".....

Top Bottom