Cummins or 6.4 hemi?

HILCLMR

Reaction score
Maybe someone has commented on this already, but if you look around it's very hard to find a gasser with 300 or 400 or even 500 000 kms on them. They don't exist on the original engine. It is easy to find diesels in this range still going strong. That's where the price of a diesel comes into effect. It doesn't make finacial sense to buy a diesel and not run it out, however that is a decision that the owner makes.
Myself the only time my dually comes off the driveway it has a trailer behind it, my daily driver is a beat up jeep that I park wherever I want.
My $0.02

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe someone has commented on this already, but if you look around it's very hard to find a gasser with 300 or 400 or even 500 000 kms on them. They don't exist on the original engine. It is easy to find diesels in this range still going strong. That's where the price of a diesel comes into effect. It doesn't make finacial sense to buy a diesel and not run it out, however that is a decision that the owner makes.
Myself the only time my dually comes off the driveway it has a trailer behind it, my daily driver is a beat up jeep that I park wherever I want.
My $0.02

yes Forsure. That's why I'm leaning to go with a diesel again...I'm not one that needs a new truck often. The last brand new was a 98 dodge 1/2 ton. Then I had company supplies work trucks. Then I bought out the lease on this 07 6.7 cummins. If I do buy a new truck I'm planning on keeping it for a while. But that being said for the amount of km I put on a year personally is relatively low. Probably only pull 20% of the time now. I just don't like the diesel for running around town with the kids. Having 2 trucks doesn't make much sense either. Not sure gasser may be worth a try.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I read the lease part in your statement. I think the next truck I get will be a lease. If it is a good truck I can then buy it. If it is a lemon I will give it back.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I happen to have both in 3500's, the cummins is a 2010 though. The 2015 3500 6.4 is still brand new - 1700 kms on it and yes it rides quite a bit rougher than my diesel does. Pulling my enclosed with the 6.4 is much like pulling with a half ton except for that with the 3500 you have a lot better stability, there is quite a bit of gear changing going on with the gas job as with the diesel i'm not used to that.

The 6.4 gets the nod for driving to the city and errands and such, warms up faster,smoother (engine wise) and its has the limited package, which is really nice to ride in. The little lady has a 15 sport 1500 hemi 4x4 with the 8 speed transmission and i would probably guess that that truck would walk on the 6.4 probably due to the weight difference, but stability while towing the 6.4 wins hands down. Gas mileage with the 6.4 is roughly 500 kms mixed driving on a 120? liter tank, but i'm hoping that'll change with the engine breaking in.

Attachments

• 11021240_10152665866346724_7746423727711112962_n.jpg
    11021240_10152665866346724_7746423727711112962_n.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 258
  • ke.jpg
    ke.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 245

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what's your initial inpression pulling your enclosed? Happy with the performance for a gas motor? Can't really compare to a diesel ....

I happen to have both in 3500's, the cummins is a 2010 though. The 2015 3500 6.4 is still brand new - 1700 kms on it and yes it rides quite a bit rougher than my diesel does. Pulling my enclosed with the 6.4 is much like pulling with a half ton except for that with the 3500 you have a lot better stability, there is quite a bit of gear changing going on with the gas job as with the diesel i'm not used to that.

The 6.4 gets the nod for driving to the city and errands and such, warms up faster,smoother (engine wise) and its has the limited package, which is really nice to ride in. The little lady has a 15 sport 1500 hemi 4x4 with the 8 speed transmission and i would probably guess that that truck would walk on the 6.4 probably due to the weight difference, but stability while towing the 6.4 wins hands down. Gas mileage with the 6.4 is roughly 500 kms mixed driving on a 120? liter tank, but i'm hoping that'll change with the engine breaking in.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what's your initial inpression pulling your enclosed? Happy with the performance for a gas motor? Can't really compare to a diesel ....

lots of jam up to 100 km/h or 120 km/h. it wants to hang around 2000 rpms + to cruise with the trailer at 110-120 km/h, which is either 5 gear or 6th unlocked. I'm used to my diesel pulling it with low revs, Not used to the RPM's that the 6.4 or any gas pot requires to be in the torque curve. the motor is quiet enough that you don't notice it that much for it to be annoying, with exhaust it would be a different story. Its definitely got enough power to pull my enclosed or holiday trailer 8-9000 Lbs with ease, its just a different style of pulling, lots of revs / tow haul mode.

I really like the quietness and smooth characteristics of the gas motor versus the diesel, and the fact that it warms up faster.

powder dreams

Reaction score
our company thought they wold save the money and buy new picker trucks with the 6.4. was one of the biggest mistakes they've made. they are 5500's with decks and pickers on them but there so gutless they can hardly do highway speeds if theres a slight hill and there always rev'd out so i doubt theres going to be much longevity. they hooked on to a few trailers befor telling the guys they arent aloud to tow with them any more. If anyones ever been up the willow out of hinton its got a pretty decent kill thats about 10km to the top. they bulled a 20' trailer with about 2000lbs of pile pipe on it and had to put the truck in 4 low to make it up the hill. the truck still couldnt get out of first gear without falling on its face. pretty sure they'll be going to the auction shortly. the 2 we have were a $230,000 fuk up. id do my best to talk any one out of buying one of these pieces of junk and im a diehard dodge guy.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^
Someone didn't order the right gear ratio's .
456 or 488 ratios at least with a truck that size.

Cummins610

Reaction score
Yep, it would be 488 or nothing with a gas pot and a 5500. I would find out what ratio they do have and if the dealer specd them and not your company I would be a having Ram re gear them under warranty.

Last edited:

powder dreams

Reaction score
they have 4.44 gears so they do highway speeds at reasonable rpm. the engines just gutless. would be alright in a 1/2ton. But it'll never be comparable to a diesel. you also wont be driving by many gas stations. I know a 3500 is a little lighter but pretty sure highest ratio they offer is 4.10 unless you want to rack up the bill even higher on a $60,000 truck.

theres tones to factors. something else to consider also is most guys delete/program there trucks rate away. its night and day difference once you do that. go take both options for a drive and the difference will be obvious. myself i dont like how the 6.4 is always reving so high. iv got the same problem with my 2011 jeep. its always doing 4-5000rpm if you want it to do anything. but i drive my service truck 300+ days a year so i doubt ill ever get used to that. even being a 20,000lb 5500 its got plenty of power with the 6.7

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call the engine gutless. But if your service truck is 20,000lbs then you got the wrong engine for sure. The lesser cost will get eaten quickly by fuel.

Reactions: zal

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well couldn't bring myself to buy a gasser. Ordered the diesel again white mega cab limited longhorn.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This argument will go on forever. I like that I have the gasser benefits. But if I had to haul a heavy toy hauler or similar I would have gone with the Diesel. But then a guy has to deal with the def issues. And yes you will have them at some point. Down time is all you have to worry about when the truck is covered under warranty. But it will be pricey when off. Deletes are great. I did my 2010 and loved it but I have heard horror stories of guys getting nailed in the states without that stuff on. It is a gamble plain and simple no matter what you buy. There is always a tradeoff

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 crew cab long box with the hemi. Power is good. Gas pig though. No issues with the engine except for the mileage and the 4 cyl cutout. When it is on the engine vibrates. Feels like a driveline vibe. Every truck does it. The 5.7 hemi doesn't feel any different when it kicks in the the 6.4 sure does. You can turn it off but either going to the tow mode or the manual shift mode (kick into 6th gear). I would also have gone with the 2500 as the 3500 is pretty rough riding. My 2010 rode way better. I don't think my next truck will be a dodge.

Thanks so much for this post... for the longest time i was wondering what that was!

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This argument will go on forever. I like that I have the gasser benefits. But if I had to haul a heavy toy hauler or similar I would have gone with the Diesel. But then a guy has to deal with the def issues. And yes you will have them at some point. Down time is all you have to worry about when the truck is covered under warranty. But it will be pricey when off. Deletes are great. I did my 2010 and loved it but I have heard horror stories of guys getting nailed in the states without that stuff on. It is a gamble plain and simple no matter what you buy. There is always a tradeoff

If you delete can you delete away all those future problems you talk about????? If so... if i could have a new diesel with no emissions crap on it... and no worries... for towing even 10 times a year something heavy... too me it's a no brainer... go diesel... not to mention... I love the fact you can still get a 6 speed manual for the cummins... i know you guys can flame me later... but i love driving stick... couldn't do it any other way

i went from diesel to gas... i love to drive long distances and do so a lot... i miss my diesel and i didn't even need a diesel for the traditional use... i just prefered driving it and can't tell you why... now i drive a gaser and the tranny the fuel consumption and engine vibrations all feel wrong to me... just me though...

Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of the issues all diesels have these days are related to emission crap. I work on it every day. Fawking junk. The engine is so much happier without it. At the same time it is nice starting a truck up and not smoking out the shop too.

Top Bottom