Cummins or 6.4 hemi?

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 crew cab long box with the hemi. Power is good. Gas pig though. No issues with the engine except for the mileage and the 4 cyl cutout. When it is on the engine vibrates. Feels like a driveline vibe. Every truck does it. The 5.7 hemi doesn't feel any different when it kicks in the the 6.4 sure does. You can turn it off but either going to the tow mode or the manual shift mode (kick into 6th gear). I would also have gone with the 2500 as the 3500 is pretty rough riding. My 2010 rode way better. I don't think my next truck will be a dodge.

my 2014 does not vibrate at all, ever. i am so impressed with how smooth it is. averages 15.8 liters empty and 26 liters pulling my 22 foot enclosed to mcbride. i love it and would buy another one in a heartbeat.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 2014 does not vibrate at all, ever. i am so impressed with how smooth it is. averages 15.8 liters empty and 26 liters pulling my 22 foot enclosed to mcbride. i love it and would buy another one in a heartbeat.
Must drive like a grandma lol. On the cummins forum everyone complains of the 4cyl mode vibration. Even the dealers are aware of it. If your has no issues be very happy. You are one of the rare ones.

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Must drive like a grandma lol. On the cummins forum everyone complains of the 4cyl mode vibration. Even the dealers are aware of it. If your has no issues be very happy. You are one of the rare ones.

bet now everytime i feel the smallest shimmy i'm going to start self diagnosing :)

i do kinda drive like a grandma though. my buddies are always pissy about me driving speed limit on the way to sled trips :0

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol. This morning coming to work doing 60 kmh on a flat road the truck started hopping like a badly balanced tire. Speed always changes. Sometimes there sometimes not. Seems to be on the 14's the most. Haven't heard of any complaints on the 15's. I think they changed something but it is a bug fix like the frame so they will stay quiet about it

KevinA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bet now everytime i feel the smallest shimmy i'm going to start self diagnosing :)

i do kinda drive like a grandma though. my buddies are always pissy about me driving speed limit on the way to sled trips :0

mom would be so proud ;)

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What year are your trucks? there are a pile of us trying to figure out the cause by narrowing down what trucks do it and what do not. Tires are the cause in some trucks but not very many. I for one have had two set of rims/tires and still have the issue. My winter tires have been balanced multiple times. It is also a 2014 crew cab long box. The issue goes away when loaded.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha if u like going 30mph up hill with your trailer get the hemi . what a joke . it would like having a f150 lol . well maybe not that bad .

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What year are your trucks? there are a pile of us trying to figure out the cause by narrowing down what trucks do it and what do not. Tires are the cause in some trucks but not very many. I for one have had two set of rims/tires and still have the issue. My winter tires have been balanced multiple times. It is also a 2014 crew cab long box. The issue goes away when loaded.

my truck is a 2014 mega cab 2500 laramie. its has the stock 20'' rims and tires and right now i have my winter rims on which are 17" laramie rims from a 2010 with studded 285/70 17 kelly safaries. i dont even have the tires balanced :0

how serious of a vibration are these trucks having?

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2014 Dodge ram 2500 club cab Laramie, short box, 4:10 gearing with 20" rims with Firestone Transforce tires (which surprising are a good tire on ice/snow). Only reason why I know it drops to 4 cyl is the different exhaust note.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish I had gotten a 2500 too. With the coils they are supposed to ride better. I am surprised to hear you say that about those tires zal. I gave mine a try and they are ok in the snow but on the ice my truck is scary. The first time I cornered on ice the truck kept going straight into the on coming lane. I was going slow too. Thankfully no oncoming traffic. I switched out to studded winter tires after that and it has been awesome considering the winter we have this year. Keeping the tires for summer and we will see how they do

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish I had gotten a 2500 too. With the coils they are supposed to ride better. I am surprised to hear you say that about those tires zal. I gave mine a try and they are ok in the snow but on the ice my truck is scary. The first time I cornered on ice the truck kept going straight into the on coming lane. I was going slow too. Thankfully no oncoming traffic. I switched out to studded winter tires after that and it has been awesome considering the winter we have this year. Keeping the tires for summer and we will see how they do

Even pulling the enclosed trailer on icy roads in 2wd, never had an issue last weekend. Only once did it try to spin out from me. I was impressed with it. Where we sled, the yard was glare ice, not an issue. Maybe lucky again...

Ride is way better than the 07 I had before. Big difference. Everyone that has been in both my trucks say they can not believe the difference in rides.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well took a 15 2500 6.4 for a test drive today.....Seemed to have decent power, and rode smoother then my 07. I did notice it shake a bit at hi way speed when it was running on 4, but hardly noticeable. The interiors are quite an improvement over mine. What gear ratios are you guys getting with the 6.4? This one had 4.10 I believe.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well took a 15 2500 6.4 for a test drive today.....Seemed to have decent power, and rode smoother then my 07. I did notice it shake a bit at hi way speed when it was running on 4, but hardly noticeable. The interiors are quite an improvement over mine. What gear ratios are you guys getting with the 6.4? This one had 4.10 I believe.
I have 3.73's in mine.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your going to run a much larger tire and pack much weight all the time I would go with 4.10 .
If not 3.73

Top Bottom