Cummins or 6.4 hemi?

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I've decided to get a new/newer truck. My 07.5 6.7 cummins with 320000 has been good. I'm on the fence if I should go the diesel route or gas. I don't use my truck for work anymore . I pull a 23-26' enclosed sled trailer(maybe 10 times a winter) and a 35' fifth wheel(dozen or so times a year) Rest of the time it's used for running the kids around town and a bit of hunting. I also use a sled deck in the spring so 2500 at min. I find the running around town in winter a pita with a diesel. Maintaince more, and if you keep it past warranty repairs are expensive. (Just blew head gasket) I know the gas won't pull as well, but the diesel cost way more and the price on diesel is appearing to stay way above gas. For the guys that have went from a diesel to gas regrets? What's the mileage like on the 6.4 ? And new cummins?

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 crew cab long box with the hemi. Power is good. Gas pig though. No issues with the engine except for the mileage and the 4 cyl cutout. When it is on the engine vibrates. Feels like a driveline vibe. Every truck does it. The 5.7 hemi doesn't feel any different when it kicks in the the 6.4 sure does. You can turn it off but either going to the tow mode or the manual shift mode (kick into 6th gear). I would also have gone with the 2500 as the 3500 is pretty rough riding. My 2010 rode way better. I don't think my next truck will be a dodge.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The gasser Ford and Dodge 3500's I've driven have ridden like a lumber wagon. I think they use the same front springs as the diesels.

dodgeram18

Reaction score
i went from gas to diesel and will never go back to gasser after i got into a couple diesels. my honest first mistake i ever made in life was buying that damn gasser the first time. i now have a 12 6.7 3500 fully deleted and mileage still sucks, at least compared to my old 02 5.9 2500. my new 6.7 gets 15-17mpg but it does like to tow, fuel mileage doesn't get much worse while hauling but the ride quality does get a bit better. its a personnel preference when it comes to gas or diesel, needs/wants, use/practicality. i used to get free diesel so that was a no brainer for me plus i like to hot rod my diesels and i find more enjoyment out of modding a diesel than i do a gas jobby. highway mileage 850-900km/tank max on my new 6.7 not sure what a gas job would do on the same size tank? i would probably get pretty tired of feeding a 6.4 in a hurry once gas jumps up again.

NorthstaRmk

Reaction score
i have a ford gas 6.2, easy maintenance, comparable mileage to the diesels. with a tune they wake up pretty good. and heres the best part. 10000$ LESS UPFRONT! dont have to plug in in the winter, can fix it myself if need be, and it weighs less than a deisel so you get good payload #'s. just my 2 cents

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure if I've gotten a lucky truck or I'm just that easy on it but my 14 2500 mega ctd averaged 9.5l/100km from here in regina to about brooks a couple of weeks ago with a sled in the box and speedo at 123km/h. I've had a 10 in a 3500 prior to this and this one rides alot nicer empty but I find the 3500 rode better with moderate loading. this is my 4th cummins and best runnim
ng one off the lot.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably not a big deal to some, but the cost of oil changes for the 6.4 Hemi will be similar if not more expensive than the diesel.
The 6.4L Hemi takes 6.62 liters (7 quarts) of the very expensive Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40 (Chrysler MS-12633 SRT). Same stuff they use in the 6.4 SRT vehicles.

Cummins610

Reaction score
What about keeping the old diesel to use for towing/sleds and buy a new 1/2 ton for the rest.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably not a big deal to some, but the cost of oil changes for the 6.4 Hemi will be similar if not more expensive than the diesel.
The 6.4L Hemi takes 6.62 liters (7 quarts) of the very expensive Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40 (Chrysler MS-12633 SRT). Same stuff they use in the 6.4 SRT vehicles.
Yeah ah Nope! I am just going to be using whatever 0-40 we sell at work. No need to put in pennzoil.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about keeping the old diesel to use for towing/sleds and buy a new 1/2 ton for the rest.

Well the reason I'm debating is my current truck has 320000km on it. Truck is mint shape. I recently blew a head gasket and need new injectors. $7500 later I'm back on the road. Then the motor starts knocking 1500km after the head gasket fix. The mech tore in to it and all we can come up with was bad fuel. Running quiet now. So I was thinking maybe I should move on and get a gas truck.....my next truck I would plan to keep just as long so thinking better to go with gas..repairs not as expensive ..but pulling with a diesel is just way better. So not sure. For now going to keep my truck and start looking for a replacement. The mechanic said the cylinders looked like new and compression was same as a new motor. Maybe I should just keep driving this one. What's this truck worth it I was to sell it?
dscn7060-1.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:

JohnBoyTurbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice truck. A friend of mine has the same truck but a dually. He has around the same amount of kms on his and has had head gasket issues as well. He found out that the engine brake causes a lot of back pressure against the motor. Especially if it's chipped. So he removed his engine brake. Something to think about if you continue to run the old truck.
I run a 2010 Dodge Diesel and it pulls my 24' trailer way better than the Hemi. On my last sled trip a buddy of mine had a 6.4L and was running a sled deck. He was not impressed with the fuel mileage.
The company I work for runs Hemis (5.7L) My last truck dropped a valve just off warranty. $5000 for a used motor. $8000 for a new one. And the truck never had a hard life cause all the trucks have GPS monitoring our driving and speed.

There's a few things to think about. Good luck with your decision.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice truck. A friend of mine has the same truck but a dually. He has around the same amount of kms on his and has had head gasket issues as well. He found out that the engine brake causes a lot of back pressure against the motor. Especially if it's chipped. So he removed his engine brake. Something to think about if you continue to run the old truck.
I run a 2010 Dodge Diesel and it pulls my 24' trailer way better than the Hemi. On my last sled trip a buddy of mine had a 6.4L and was running a sled deck. He was not impressed with the fuel mileage.
The company I work for runs Hemis (5.7L) My last truck dropped a valve just off warranty. $5000 for a used motor. $8000 for a new one. And the truck never had a hard life cause all the trucks have GPS monitoring our driving and speed.

There's a few things to think about. Good luck with your decision.
that exhaust break is a great feature for pulling, but I always that that would create huge back pressure. I don't run mine anymore than stock hp on the smarty. Just use it for Deletes .....

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that exhaust break is a great feature for pulling, but I always that that would create huge back pressure. I don't run mine anymore than stock hp on the smarty. Just use it for Deletes .....
Thats the biggest downfall of the he351vgt it flows like crap on the turbine side compared to the he351cw. The price to be paid for a built in exhaust brake.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep the cummins and buy a second for running around .
For all you will get for truck I think it's worth more to yourself?
I have parked my duramax and drive a gas and way nicer and cheaper with 1/2 ton.
Us duramax for pulling and hauling sleds and toys.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep the cummins and buy a second for running around .
For all you will get for truck I think it's worth more to yourself?
I have parked my duramax and drive a gas and way nicer and cheaper with 1/2 ton.
Us duramax for pulling and hauling sleds and toys.

yeah with the money I spent and looking like I need a new turbo now. Not worth selling. I was really curious how that Hemi was working ....

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the reason I'm debating is my current truck has 320000km on it. Truck is mint shape. I recently blew a head gasket and need new injectors. $7500 later I'm back on the road. Then the motor starts knocking 1500km after the head gasket fix. The mech tore in to it and all we can come up with was bad fuel. Running quiet now. So I was thinking maybe I should move on and get a gas truck.....my next truck I would plan to keep just as long so thinking better to go with gas..repairs not as expensive ..but pulling with a diesel is just way better. So not sure. For now going to keep my truck and start looking for a replacement. The mechanic said the cylinders looked like new and compression was same as a new motor. Maybe I should just keep driving this one. What's this truck worth it I was to sell it?
View attachment 184288

$10,000 later and she's mint back in the road. Replacing same cummins will run you upwards of 75. Can't beat a cummins for pulling. Reason I've decided to keeping my 5.9. And you will get no where the mileage on new dpf 6.7. Unfortunately selling it in current condition you'll likely won't get more then 10 for it. Might as well do main and head studs while you are in it. Aftermarket fass fuel or equivalent will also provide longevity of theses motor upgrades. Nice looking truck for the yr.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did studs when they did the head gasket, machines the head and new injectors. That's why it cost 7500. Thanks for the input fellas.

Last edited:

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

not sure what a diesel oil change is worth but i just got the oil changed in my 2014 2500 6.4 hemi for 128$ at the dealer. computer told me to do it at 13000 km, thought that wasnt to bad. yes its full synthetic

Top Bottom