Cuba help.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going to Cuba and wondered from the members what they know about do's and don'ts?

What you have used for Medical insurance proof?

What you did as far as money?

I've read a few things on the net but the stories vary a bit. I read that you can use your Provincial health card. Not sure if thats true. Of course I will have my supplementary insurance which for me has been through my credit card company but not sure if the proof of insurance that they send will be sufficient enough.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's sufficient enough, that's all we had our provincial and extended benefits card

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where you going? We went to Cayo St Marie, nice place. Stayed at the Iberostar first class joint, great food, lots of selection

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to much to buy there (except rum and cigars). Getting around is a bit expensive. Bring lots of stuff with you like soap, clothes and medicine they do not have much there. Every thing there is much slower, except for the bus drivers they drive like maniacs.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take your favourite spices, mustard. They don't have much there in that category. Also the $10 sunglasses, the wrap around kind they love to trade for them.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I took a bunch of spices and sauces and didn't need any of them, our resort had all that crap... Bubba mugs are a big ticket item down there and can get you ANYTHING.....

hold up......wait a minute.....this site is dying shouldn't you be over on snow west asking these questions?????????

Take your favourite spices, mustard. They don't have much there in that category. Also the $10 sunglasses, the wrap around kind they love to trade for them.

Phat Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was there about 5 years ago. There is not much for bank machines so take lots of cash. You can exchange CAD easily. I needed more cash while I was there and I went to a bank to get some cash off my credit card. A real PITA. Took about an hour sitting in the bank waiting.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are going to Varadero. Melia Peninsula.

In Varadero we found a small place to eat along the beach. We asked one of the security gaurds one evening waking the town.
Its a long shot to find it. Great food, and drinks.

If You bring gum the kids love it, coloring books, crayons, little toys,

Cool looking 3 wheel taxi's, lots of old cars driving around or broken down.

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check your credit cards, anything with an american affiliation will not be accepted. I went with a "Canadian" capital one card and it wasn't accepted because it actually is a card run by and american company.

Ushkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
-Head to the Jesus restaurant (la first Del carbon) best food we ate the entire time we were there.
-Remember $25 cuc per person to leave the country at the airport.
-Don't buy cigars on the street. Cheapest place we notices was duty free when leaving.
-We took $1600 Canadian for 2 weeks and came back with a lot. We exchanged in the hotel as we needed. Exchange was about 0.85 cuc per 1 cad.
-There is a double decker bus that runs in varedeo. $5 for full day as many times as you like. Lots of stops and bus every 30 min.
-If you want to try scuba diving ask your hotel. We found out that our hotel you could do a dive a day for free as long as you did good in the pool. We did 5 dives. 2 days were 2 dives and the second dive was only 20 bucks to go see shipwrecks. Awesome experience.
- If you like spiced rum find Havana ritual. I wish I brought more back. Captain Morgan's is like drinking slough water now.
-

Ushkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
-When you leave the airport go early and have 0 liquids in your carry on. Our plan was delayed waiting on people to come through security. Everyone had a water or something so it backlogged bad.
-Don't leave with their currency.
-Don't exchange money on the street!
-If you end up in Trinidad go to the cigar factory. Women there will make your cigars in front of you or you can try one that she makes I'm front of you and they are great. She has been doing it for 50 years.
-If in Santa Clara check out the che memorial. It was kinda neat.
-There is a bat cave in varedeo. It's $5 per person. They send you in with a flashlight and there are thousands of bats. It was pretty cool. Ambrisio cave or something. I can't remember what is was called but the hotel should know

That's about all I can think of. We spent 2 weeks at they royal hicaccos for our honeymoon in November and we will definitely be going back at some time.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All good advice thanks.

So I understand that the currency We exchange for is different than that of the locals. Does this mean that they can't use it and we shouldn't bother tipping them with it?

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some god advice....

I too found the usual brand name rums were junk. Try the other lesser know types and ask what the locals like. I found one of he cheapest that the locals drink was one of the best. Found the same with cigars. My favourite was Reloba, a locals cigar. You find it in the tourist shops. Buy your take home rum at the airport.

You won't have much of a choice when it comes to the Pesos. You get tourist Pesos (CUC). They take the CUC for tips. If I am not mistaken the locals actually get a tiny bit more for converting them to local Pesos. Fidels way of giving back...haha.

Cuba is one of my favourite places ever!!

It's fun, safe, super friendly.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When i was there you could buy cigars of off the life guards at the resorts under the table. Cohibas in a wooden box where 50 dollars and at the cigar factory they where a lot of money, montecristos seemed to taste the best. I sold the cohibas at a cigar shop here for 400 dollars and he seemed really happy to get them for that, he said they would cost well over 1000 dollars. However people do not smoke that much now.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im glad I logged into the site today, I leave for Varadero on Sunday!

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only real good place I found was al Capones restaurant. It was a cooling house they used when someone had to leave town for a bit. Awesome view of the beach and the best lobster I ever had. Had the worst at the resort. Food sucked in most places

Top Bottom