Crap Am

rockerpanel

Reaction score
Hey there all, so last November i bought my 08 Outlander 800 an put about 13 hours on it from then til April, when my fron sreering knuckle broke an took the cv joint an tie rod end with it... I noticed that the Machine was riding kinda weird one day when me an the girlfriend where out for a little putts around... I didnt think much of thought that i had a low tire or somthing... Got back to the campsite an everyone just staring at us as we pulled in... We jumped off only th find the front Left tire on pretty much a 45 degree angle...
Grand total of 13 hours on the Machine an all the previous riding was done following a stock Honda Rubicon 400 or 500... Just light trail rides, trying to break the machine in properly...
Now I ended up paying just over $1200 to get the bike out of the shop under the pretense that i would hear from them the following week an get my money back... After three an a half months of calling an dealing with these guys i find out that i get $200 back an thats it...
Does that make any sense to... I payed just over $10 000 for this quad an before the first oil change is due i get the pleasure of dumping another grand at it...
Sorry just kinda venting... Not very impressed with the POS @ BRP...

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And here I thought people were ok paying more for a BRP product because they have such a good warranty. :confused:

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I'm sorry for your luck :eek: Yes I said LUCK cause I think you might have got a bad one. I seriously drive the CHIT out of my Can-Ams with no problems other than broken parts from roll overs and crashes such as handle bars, steering posts, plastics, racks, bumpers ect, ect. I have drowned my current outty 800 now 5 times in the river over the past two years. I jump it every day, all day. I have put 2800 miles on my can-am this summer as its my job and I love swinging my leg over it every morning :d it plain out RIPS :beer:
I can't believe you drove that thing with a passanger into a camp with the front tire on a 45 degree angle and didn't notice anything was wrong or thought you had a flat tire :) Had you stopped maybe and took a closer look at it after the knuckle broke or it felt funny maybe you wouldn't be buying the CV joint and tie rod. Thats probably why you got you $200 back for the knuckle. Also sounds like you may have a Dorky dealer to me.
I can't wait to be driving my new Outty with power steering soon BOOYAA!!! :beer: :beer:

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your luck :eek: Yes I said LUCK cause I think you might have got a bad one. I seriously drive the CHIT out of my Can-Ams with no problems other than broken parts from roll overs and crashes such as handle bars, steering posts, plastics, racks, bumpers ect, ect. I have drowned my current outty 800 now 5 times in the river over the past two years. I jump it every day, all day. I have put 2800 miles on my can-am this summer as its my job and I love swinging my leg over it every morning :d it plain out RIPS :beer:
I can't believe you drove that thing with a passanger into a camp with the front tire on a 45 degree angle and didn't notice anything was wrong or thought you had a flat tire :) Had you stopped maybe and took a closer look at it after the knuckle broke or it felt funny maybe you wouldn't be buying the CV joint and tie rod. Thats probably why you got you $200 back for the knuckle. Also sounds like you may have a Dorky dealer to me.
I can't wait to be driving my new Outty with power steering soon BOOYAA!!! :beer: :beer:

Note to self, when browsings buy and sell adds, disregard adds from sumx54.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey there all, so last November i bought my 08 Outlander 800 an put about 13 hours on it from then til April, when my fron sreering knuckle broke an took the cv joint an tie rod end with it... I noticed that the Machine was riding kinda weird one day when me an the girlfriend where out for a little putts around... I didnt think much of thought that i had a low tire or somthing... Got back to the campsite an everyone just staring at us as we pulled in... We jumped off only th find the front Left tire on pretty much a 45 degree angle...
Grand total of 13 hours on the Machine an all the previous riding was done following a stock Honda Rubicon 400 or 500... Just light trail rides, trying to break the machine in properly...
Now I ended up paying just over $1200 to get the bike out of the shop under the pretense that i would hear from them the following week an get my money back... After three an a half months of calling an dealing with these guys i find out that i get $200 back an thats it...
Does that make any sense to... I payed just over $10 000 for this quad an before the first oil change is due i get the pleasure of dumping another grand at it...
Sorry just kinda venting... Not very impressed with the POS @ BRP...

I know what you are going thru, i really loved my 800 H.O. Can-Am BUT mine seemed to be a lemon as well. The dealer ( Turple Bros.) in Red Deer ) really REALLY SUCKED when trying to get it fixed and get warranty etc.
BRP head office does not care in the least if the customer is unhappy etc. with a product they may have screwed up making, they will tell you to buy something else and go away if you don't like our stuff.
Most of the Can-Am's seem to be very good, but if you get a crappy one you might as well just burn it or sell it off for scrap because every time you get it fixed something else goes wrong.
Hopefully you have a good one and this was a one time thing.
Good luck and happy trails.

rounder

Reaction score

you drown it in the river???? hmm wonder why our areas are constantly under threat of being shut down?????

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
you drown it in the river???? hmm wonder why our areas are constantly under threat of being shut down?????

I might have more Respect for our riding areas than ANYONE you have ever met. My job is looking after these riding areas Literally. I pick garbage, shovel in creek bank ruts, build bridges over water crossings and maintain trail systems on a Daily Basis. Don't be that guy that turns a thread into some bashing match over misinformed information.
I do not play in rivers for the pleasure of drowning my quad. My job sometimes requires me to make high risk deep water crossings. Sometimes if we are out for more than 2-3 days during the rain, the 8-10" water crossings you used to get in there now turn into 3-4' crossings to get out. Sometimes you drown your machine out. Its simple, first you winch it out then you stand it on end to drain the water from the exhaust, drain oil into double garbage bag, pull spark plugs, shake water out of K&N air filter, roll engine over a few times, put your spare two liters of oil back in that you always carry, poke small hole in garbage bag, drain watery oil back into the empty oil containers and possibly an empty water bottle if there is alot of water content, flash her up and ride on...this is done in less than 1/2 an hour.
The efi fuel systems will not leak fuel into a river nor will you lose any oil as long as your not upside down in the river.
Sorry for the high jacking of this thread. Now lets carry on please

CAN-AM ROCKS

Last edited:

GWNBrute

Reaction score

It's lam that you can say something like that went you got posted in your sig a KX 250 where do you think all the blow off go on those bikes? That's right on the ground look at all the vent lines!!!

bcham5

Reaction score
that sucks i bought my 08 650 xt last november too, and ive only had to pay for brakes and a rear drive shaft at 7000kms and its at 11000 and still runs fine. :beer:

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that sucks i bought my 08 650 xt last november too, and ive only had to pay for brakes and a rear drive shaft at 7000kms and its at 11000 and still runs fine. :beer:

Holy chat!! How do you put on 11000km in a year? I would be hard pressed to do that in my pickup.

dlg27

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sucks that you had to pay for those repairs. It all comes down to a good dealer. I have a 07 outlander that has been a lemon. I have 1400kms on it and it has been through the following: 2 fuel pumps, voltage regulator, 3 front axles, a transmission, new wiring harnesses, 2 rear drive shafts. All of this has been covered under warranty and I have only had to pay my 50$ deductable each visit. Some of you must think I drive the crap out of this machine but I ride with a salesman from my dealership sometimes and he cannot belive the lemon that this machine is. I bought a 09 renegade and have not had a problem with it at all driving it the same way as the outlander

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sucks that you had to pay for those repairs. It all comes down to a good dealer. I have a 07 outlander that has been a lemon. I have 1400kms on it and it has been through the following: 2 fuel pumps, voltage regulator, 3 front axles, a transmission, new wiring harnesses, 2 rear drive shafts. All of this has been covered under warranty and I have only had to pay my 50$ deductable each visit. Some of you must think I drive the crap out of this machine but I ride with a salesman from my dealership sometimes and he cannot belive the lemon that this machine is. I bought a 09 renegade and have not had a problem with it at all driving it the same way as the outlander

Brutal!! It must be a lemon. I have 1300km on the same machine. I bought it to ride it, and I ride it hard. There hasn't been a lot of friendly miles put on it,
but repairs have been next to nothing. I had to replace the primary clutch, belt, helix, and belt cover after the Medicine Lake poker rally, only because the cover had a 3" hole in it from a stick, and it filled up with sand and skeg. I have nothing but good to say about the quad, and I will definatly replace it with another one.

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an outy 800, and I bag the crap out of it. It can handle anything..except deep water.lol The warranty is awesome on this thing. They even cahnged the brake pads on warranty..he said he'd have done the belt on warranty but I had already picked one up elsewhere. Either way, I was shocked.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I have an outy 800, and I bag the crap out of it. It can handle anything..except deep water.lol The warranty is awesome on this thing. They even cahnged the brake pads on warranty..he said he'd have done the belt on warranty but I had already picked one up elsewhere. Either way, I was shocked.

She'll handle the deep water just fine with a stealth snorkle kit. Up to the gauge pod deep no problem and you can hit it as fast as you like. :d

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a snorkle kit, but my dealer is a little skeptical that the belt housing won't get enough cool air flow with it installed, so I'm gonna wait till the warranty is off.

skidplate

Reaction score
I put 58km on my 08 650 Outtie and then I had the pleasure of replacing the clutch and an axel. None of which was covered by warranty. Once they take your money they don't care. I'm sure this is the same story with many manufactures. A lot of it goes back to the dealer and how they handle you and the bike when you bring it back in. If they have their minds made up you can get screwed. After about 3 months of battling with the dealer and BRP Igot a set of skid plates out it to ease the sting. So far the 3 year warranty that came with my bike wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. Believe it or not I still really like the bike, its fast, has a nice ride and it goes through everything I point it at. I made some mods to it to hopefully prevent another expensive trip to the shop. Funny thing is a buddy of mine has an Outtie and he has beat the piss out of that bike and that was half the reason I bought mine. Sometimes sh!t happens I guess.

DOONORTH

Reaction score
i bought a snorkle kit, but my dealer is a little skeptical that the belt housing won't get enough cool air flow with it installed, so i'm gonna wait till the warranty is off.

question did you get the can am snorkel kit, or an aftermarket?
Either way, if done correctly, you will get enough cool air flow.
I ride with several buddies with snorkels, 500, 650, 800 all the same, no issues, two still in warranty.
If you play in a lot of deep water, install your snorkel, don't be scared.
Check out canamtalk.com, or outlander800.com for information.
No issues.
Good luck and good riding
:)

Top Bottom