cracked hood

boondockin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
could you put some pics on? when i got cracked stuff i take a small drill bit and drill holes at either end of the crack to stop the spreding, then i start drilling holes about a 1/4 inch or so apart on the sides along the whole crack then take small zip ties and stitch it up and clip the tales off and should be good!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
What Material Is The Hood?? There Are Lots Of Adhesives/glues Available To Repair Hooods. A Bodyshop Can Point You In The Right Direction. Plastic Hoods Can Be Plastic Welded Too...........

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
You have to ruff up the back side of the hood first (with a small grinding disc).Don't go overboard with the grinder!!!!And if you can get your hands on some plastic repair glue.3M is a good product .But it is a good idea to get some adhesion promoter or surface modifier too .Spray the promoter on first (after you ruff up the backside of the hood) let it flash for a couple of minutes and then put the glue on making sure it creeps through the crack.It is pretty easy

dirtbag

Reaction score
not to dig up an old thread but the only way to do this right hasent really been covered,if you take your hood to a body shop they will do it right,you cant buy the product you need as a consumer,you have to know sombody with a body shop good enough to let you purchase an epoxy designed to bond with the hood material, through there account ,there is no other way to properly fix a hood ,quite the piss off the consumer isint allowed to buy the products that work.....

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
not to dig up an old thread but the only way to do this right hasent really been covered,if you take your hood to a body shop they will do it right,you cant buy the product you need as a consumer,you have to know sombody with a body shop good enough to let you purchase an epoxy designed to bond with the hood material, through there account ,there is no other way to properly fix a hood ,quite the piss off the consumer isint allowed to buy the products that work.....

i disagree, at many atomotive places you can buy nowmobile hood repar kits MENT for sled hoods

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does it really matter though? I mean...its a sled after all, ride it and enjoy it. If you want a trailer queen then leave it on the trailer right?? :D

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does it really matter though? I mean...its a sled after all, ride it and enjoy it. If you want a trailer queen then leave it on the trailer right?? :D

True i supposed, but with people changing body panels and putting on graphics and annodized parts or polished alum to make a sled look the way they want it to.. it's sad to seen a nice hood (depending on what it is) be split apart.

My XRS hood is that Lexan stuff that is unrepairable because nothing will bond with it. So i drilled holes on either side of the crack and used zip ties to pull the crack together, it looks bad ass and the crack is no longer growing, it's probably strong than the rest of the hood now LOL ill post a pic later.

dirtbag

Reaction score
hey thats my point this "unrepairable hood" ,if you were to take it to the dealer they would give it to there loacal autobody shop that does there repairs,it can be repaired it costs close to the cost of a new hood,I found all this out knowing a mechanic at the local shop and knowing a few body men and finally calling the local shop that does it and as soon as they got wind of the fact I was not actually bringing somthing in for them they basically hungup on me, a lot of questions asked ,mostly just misinformation,at the auto store I talked to someone I know and uses there own products and was told there is nothing that actually works ,I was initially looking for somthing to replace the "proper "repair that had previously been done and looked like a pile of crapola smeered and cracking on my hood...basically what I found out through a week of asking questions is this hood repair done proper is a closely guarded secret as you look on forums and see, last year I could not find any proper info on it any where .....the only way I know to fix these unrepairable hoods is with a 2 part epoxy I think there is a few companies ,I got stuff made by norton called speedgrip structural adhesive,it is not cheap I think around $100-$120 for a 2 part tube that is designed to be used in some kind of gun but you can get it out by hand then mix proper,very usefull stuff once you have it....not meaning to offend anybody honestly just trying to help as it took awhile to fiqure this out, most people asked seemed to think there was no better way aside from drilling and zip tieing....as to why one would well if you like to get a new machine regularly or can afford to just drop it off and get it done well no need,but there are a few of us out there that still enjoy maintaining our toys in a professional manner (or at least know how it is done) and it might be the only way to have a nice looking well running sled for some

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aw common now !! "still enjoy maintaining our toys in a professional manner (or at least know how it is done) and it might be the only way to have a nice looking well running sled for some

Sleds is all about modification and standing out of a crowd... i really like the zip tie method, i wasn't saying that all hoods are unrepairable, if you have an old fiberglass hood thats easy or even just a regular rev hood, but these light weight special hoods are different (Lexan). As for having a nice looking sled, zip ties look BAD ASS !!! once i get pics up you will see. Iv heard of guys drill holes in new hoods to put zip ties because they think it looks good !!! Also zip ties are a popular way to install ground effects on cars that are used in drifting because if they happen to hit something it just breaks the zip ties and not the graphics kit :p then you just zip tie it back on haha.

My hood was repaired once by the original owner, it didn't look all that good but it seemed to hold (for a little while) then i just cracked again, this appoxy stuff you speak of might work, but from what i was told nothing really *Bonds* to Lexan, it might hold it together, but the next time your sleds on it's hood, you might end up having to re appoxy that same crack that might be even larger now.

But you can appoxy and ill just zip tie :p then when the hood no longer looks like a hood, ill buy a new one off ebay for dirt cheap :p

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally !!! took me a while to get these up :) also i put a new crack in my hood this weekend so ima need some more stiches !! LOL !

Attachments

• IMG_1239.jpg
    IMG_1239.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 29
Top Bottom