CR450 vs WR450

wilsonck

Reaction score
Can you guys who have these bikes fill me in on them? I am looking for a bike and had thought of getting either the WR450 or a CR450X. I understand that the CR450's may have head issues or have problems with the valves, is this true?

Any other thoughts, concerns you can share?

thanks

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you guys who have these bikes fill me in on them? I am looking for a bike and had thought of getting either the WR450 or a CR450X. I understand that the CR450's may have head issues or have problems with the valves, is this true?

thanks

Buy the yammie, but get the GYTR "ais" and a DR d slip on pipe so you can uncork it.
HOnda makes a good bike, but it holds not much oil and is more work to keep running becasue of the uni-cam valve system(more valve adjustments)
Honda's titanium valves are not good, if you go for a crf 450 x replace valves with stainless valves.

MtnMaster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anywhere the snow is deep, and the hills are steep
got 1000,s of HARD miles on my '07 CRF. AMAZING bike!
Just open the airbox, rejet a little, unplug the pink wire, add a slip on silencer, and HOLD ON!

I rode a whole bunch of bikes before buying my CRF (including a WR) and the CRF just felt the fastest and easiest to handle. My next bike will definitely just be another newer CRF. I've had zero problems with mine, just gas it up, change the oil regularly and ride the pi$$ out of it. I check the valves regularly, but are always in spec. The tranny and engine oil are seperate so they hold a little less, but you don't have clutch contaminates in your engine oil.
Once you add a header pipe and cam the bike becomes mental and is a blast to ride!

n663770507_1084000_5532.jpg

This pic was when she was new and still nice and shiny. She been cartwheeled down the side of many mountains since :p

Octane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Although i havent ridden the honda's to compare. i own an 08yz450f and a friend owns a wr450f, if you absoultely need the headlight. buy a light for your helmet!! the difference is huge. the wr revs slow and feels clumsy with the factory suspension, the yz is responsive and handles very well. i wouldnt ever consider buying a trail bike. i primary ride trails and sand and have never had a problem anywhere. i find with trail specific bikes your always wanting more.....

MtnMaster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anywhere the snow is deep, and the hills are steep
The only engine difference between the Honda X and R, trail and race is the Cam and Pipe. They make similar HP its just in a different spot. Once I piped and Cammed my X, it outruns stock R's all day long. They stay neck and neck through the first 3 gears, then 4th and 5th I walk away like they stayed in 3rd gear. Plus, has better suspension for trail and climbing.
The CRF-X is not a toned down version of the R. Its a true race bike set up with taller gears, and different calibrated suspension. Why do you think it has won Baja every single time it has entered?
I also found the WR slow and clumsy....

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only engine difference between the Honda X and R, trail and race is the Cam and Pipe. They make the same HP its just in a different spot. Once I piped and Cammed my X, it outruns stock R's all day long. They stay neck and neck through the first 3 gears, then 4th and 5th I walk away like they stayed in 3rd gear. Plus, has better suspension for trail and climbing.
The CRF-X is not a toned down version of the R. Its a true race bike set up with taller gears, and different calibrated suspension. Why do you think it has won Baja every single time it has entered?

yah i found my kx 250 needed a over drive gear, i do find the trail versions suspension soft.....my kx had blackys on the rear fender from my tire with track suspension so trail suspension just wouldnt cut it for jumping but it would be alot nicer for rough trail. i do like the electric start tho and the non oil burning motors.....i just didnt have anyone to ride with so i got a sport quad and i still dont have anyone to ride with because everyone has mud quads.

if i got a new bike i would probably get a ktm 530

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
love my wr 426

so far i know u can time every wr to yz timing which makes it more responsive

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have rode both I have an 07 WR 450 and my cousin has an 07 CRF 450X.
The Honda has stiffer suspension.
On the Yamaha you have to do some work on it before you ride as it is set up to pass some sound test in the US I guess. a Any way there is a throttle stop in the carb which only allows the throttle to only 1/2 open you need to cut it down or replace it with one from a YZ and there is also an inner baffle in the pipe you have to remove and a grey wire you cut. After this the bike runs like a 450.I bought the Yamaha because I got a good deal on it. Both bikes are good trail bikes and you can't go wrong with ether one. Also you might want to check out the new Suzuki RMX 450 fuel injection nice touch.

rpt247

Reaction score
I have an 07 wr450 and it rocks i did all the "free" mods put on full two brothers exhaust, that showed a huge differncethe stock ehaust just holds to much back. My buddy has 08 cr450x not saying i blow him away but my bike is a little stronger we both agree he has the jardine exhaust system on his. As far as trail riding its pretty much how hard you ride both bikes are good very close, so basically pic your colour, or price.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can you guys who have these bikes fill me in on them? I am looking for a bike and had thought of getting either the wr450 or a cr450x. I understand that the cr450's may have head issues or have problems with the valves, is this true?

Thanks

sold my crf 450r, was agreat ride. Im on a ktm exc 2 stroke. Awesome bike. And you dont have the pricey oil changes and constant maintanance. Ride a 300 exc. Wicked bikes.

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only engine difference between the Honda X and R, trail and race is the Cam and Pipe. They make similar HP its just in a different spot. Once I piped and Cammed my X, it outruns stock R's all day long. They stay neck and neck through the first 3 gears, then 4th and 5th I walk away like they stayed in 3rd gear. Plus, has better suspension for trail and climbing.

I believe there is a different flywheel weight on an enduro bike to a motocross bike. The 450x has more flywheel weight, which adds more momentum in the motor, which helps torque you around at slower speeds (trail riding). You don't need that when you are riding a track.
The crf is a little more race prepped out of the box compared to the wr. They are both great bikes though.
The crf does need to have the titanium valves replaced with steel ones.
The ktm 300 2 stroke is a dam nice bike too. Possibly the best bike for harescrambling, lighter and more nimble with plenty of power for more the trail. Not as good if you are into road/hangover riding.

Top Bottom