Couple reasons to stay on your side of the groomed trail..

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad your son and the other guy is ok. It is a pizz off but sleds are replaceable, people are not.

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear everyone was ok. Im surprised this doesn't happen more often. It always amazes me at how many new sledders and old have no idea what hand signals are. Im tired of signalling to oncoming sledders who have no ****#n clue. Im giving them info and there to stupid to interpret it. Usually they wave back thinking im some friendly ass guy who is looking for some partners to ride with as they peel around corners at mach into my oncoming group who is riding against there direction. Learn the rules of safe trail riding and imply them. They should include snowmobile hand safety signals on the graphics of every *****n sled they sell so retards could learn what the hell they are!

Last edited:

Mantis

Reaction score
Both went to hospital via ambulance /911 call. We live a couple minutes away from both of the Castlegar Snowmobile Association trailheads and received a call telling us that our kid was in a head on and hurt pretty bad.. Nothing worse than getting that call. When we arrived, both of them were still sitting on the sleds that had doubled them down. Both were in shock and confused / shaking..we loaded them in the van to keep them warm. The local fire department was first on scene and then the ambulance arrived, both were transported to the hospital around 40 minutes away. Went through everything, Cat scan, xrays, ultrasound and blood work - both were released later that night. My son is on crutches and very sore - said he feels like he was hit by a truck - going to be missing a couple days of work. Other guy is pretty much the same, concussion and sore.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both went to hospital via ambulance /911 call. We live a couple minutes away from both of the Castlegar Snowmobile Association trailheads and received a call telling us that our kid was in a head on and hurt pretty bad.. Nothing worse than getting that call. When we arrived, both of them were still sitting on the sleds that had doubled them down. Both were in shock and confused / shaking..we loaded them in the van to keep them warm. The local fire department was first on scene and then the ambulance arrived, both were transported to the hospital around 40 minutes away. Went through everything, Cat scan, xrays, ultrasound and blood work - both were released later that night. My son is on crutches and very sore - said he feels like he was hit by a truck - going to be missing a couple days of work. Other guy is pretty much the same, concussion and sore.

I was going to suggest that you make sure that you get them to the hospital to get checked out. It sounds like they both got a good check over after the accident. I wouldn't hesitate to take him back to the hospital if his symptoms persist.

Cat man Doo

Reaction score
Very lucky. Could've been a lot worse. As said earlier, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. So glad to hear that they are okay and will ride another day. Sleds can be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Usually it's the other around.. the guy going against the common traffic flow should be careful..

Last season, I forgot to fill oil at the parking lot, at Chappell, 5 km's in I decided to turn around and fill up.

I was super cautious coming around corners, because I knew there were sleds ripping up.

I almost got into 5 or 6 head ons from guys ripping it up.

It's crazy.

your son was lucky he wasn't injured worse. That helmet isn't just a head warmer.

Gotta be careful no matter what time of day I'm finding, couple years ago I was towing a buddy out of Quartz in the early afternoon on a Sunday (when lots of people are heading down) and a big group of guys were coming up the trail at mach chicken. Had a late night at Yamafest the night before and left Revy late that morning, decided to hit Quartz on their way by. All on boosted sleds going wayyyyy to fast up to the alpine because they were already "late" that day, in a big hurry to get some riding in. Surprised us that there were so many going so fast in the counter flow direction when you know that guys are coming down off the hill. Very poor consideration for others and makes me watch every corner now, no matter what time of day or what trail.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride the mountains on a regular basis but I also ride in Ontario just about every year. In Ontario, hand signals are the norm to let oncoming traffic be aware that other sleds and how many are coming in the group. Perhaps these hand signals should be promoted on the alpine access trails also. I realize that this does no good for the first riders in each group approaching a blind corner, but perhaps more cautionary signs at the trailheads would remind riders to stay on their side of the trail when approaching corners. Ive seen too many close calls myself.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Time to start enforcing this: Forest Service Road Use Regulation

"Speed restriction
4 A person must operate a motor vehicle on a forest service road at a speed that
(a) is safe for the conditions, and
(b) does not exceed the lesser of
(i) 80 km/h, and
(ii) the speed posted on a relevant traffic control device."

This absolutely applies to snowmobiles.

Last edited:

Superduty 11

Reaction score
Glad you son is ok!!! When passing sleds coming up or down I always let the oncoming riders know how many are in the group ( usually 4-5) by putting my fingers up, a closed fist means I am the last sled in our group. Its amazing how many people simply wave back or dont do anything at all. Its unfortuante the lack of common sense these days, would people drive on the highway in the wrong lane around a corner...

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad you son is ok!!! When passing sleds coming up or down I always let the oncoming riders know how many are in the group ( usually 4-5) by putting my fingers up, a closed fist means I am the last sled in our group. Its amazing how many people simply wave back or dont do anything at all. Its unfortuante the lack of common sense these days, would people drive on the highway in the wrong lane around a corner...

Sadly.....yes. I get passed that way quite often going to work.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear that your son is okay, I'm sure you will, but keep on eye on him for any side effects beyond sore....things like headaches, mussel spasms and backaches...

As already stated, machinery can be replaced and is secondary to the health of both riders....

But: when the dust settles, and blame seems to be obvious, is the rider that caused this accident stepping up?

I ride a 2010 almost stock machine, and have chosen to not carry collision insurance, just PL, PD, fire and theft…

Would insurance even get involved?

I would think not unless there were charges or something to identify one of the parties’ involved as responsible.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As a trail operator here in Alberta I find it odd that those FSR trails are not very well signed. With all the users on these trails you would think that BC snowmobile organizations would have a minimium risk management policy in place with signage standards. Will people follow the signage suggestions? Maybe, Maybe not.
Glad these 2 young riders are OK. I am always cautious riding on these trails

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I was in a smilier accident about 5 years ago . We had to call a ambulance I had a broken wrist and he had a broken leg, and the cops did show up and take our statements.
It was determined that it was an off highway accident and we both were at fault . I had collision on my sled so my insurance company paid out my sled,I was off work for3 months and his insurance company paid my lost wages for the 3 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

everest8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK ! I am glad everybody is alive. Do take your car and take the inside corner on the highway ? How about stopping just over the hill and stop on the lane and not pull over ? Do you pass on the inside lane on a blind corner while passing ? Do you stop or reverse you car on a corner ? Enough of the idiots ! I explain this in "car'' sense as they seem to get it, but sleds, no. Stay home you twits as you are going to kill the rest of us ! Sorry for the rant but I have had too many close calls. Had too many issues with people who dont understand this and not only wrecked sleds, broken limbs/Etc. I do not like being called out to assist in these matters for plain stupidity ! If they do not understand this basic logic for driveing any moving object with an engine .... stay home and save the rest of us !

Mantis

Reaction score
Little more information..guy borrowed the sled from another guy - I have talked with him/ dropped off his sled(when we went to recover my son's, we hauled his out too - my friends said f*ck it leave it here-pretty mad when they saw the condition of both sleds- but I had already heard it was borrowed so figured it was the right thing to do..ended up throwing it in my enclosed so it wouldn't disappear!). I haven't heard from the other rider yet, my daughter has gotten some texts from him/his girlfriend but haven't shown up to grab his knapsack, goggles and gloves that we picked up - something tells me he probably won't be coming... My kid went back to get checked out yesterday - just going to take some time to heal -("pain is just weakness leaving the body"-something I have always told my kids-he doesn't think it's that funny right now!) - still can't believe how lucky both were!
I appreciate all the comments and well wishes - I have held back from responding to the comments but some of them are absolutely bang on...don't cut corners,don't rat race the groomed trail, don't get hammered and ride,be responsible for your actions, wear a helmet,carry a first aid kit and get some training, etc,etc don't know where to stop...Please ride safe!!!
Thanks again

Top Bottom