Couple reasons to stay on your side of the groomed trail..

Mantis

Reaction score
Happened Friday afternoon, my son was on his way back to the parking lot after a awesome day of riding. He stopped and was talking to a group of sledders on their way up, took off and was coming into the corner when another sled came around the corner in his lane. He remembers thinking "oh sh*t and hitting his brake causing the sled to go sideways. Woke up with people standing around him, everything blurry and spinning. The impact took off both his helmet(didn't do up because he was 2kms from parking lot -yes, I gave him hell) and backpack -still hasn't figured out how it managed to come off -was completely strapped on - shows the force of impact. Both sleds were totalled and luckily no serious injuries to either...but it could have been a lot worse.
IMG_00000618.jpg IMG_00000615.jpg

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
WOW!!!!

Good to hear that your son is ok, that sure could have been a lot worse from the looks of the pictures and your description.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I'm also glad there were no serious injuries. I can't believe the speed that the younger generation (maybe even some of the older generation) rides the "family trails" at. The groomed trail is a family trail to get to the cabin and the good stuff. If you have to pin it doo it in the bush or on the slope and leave the trail for the families and their children.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lucky kid. I had that happen to me on a river once. One of the reasons I won't ride rivers or some trails except at night because people are retarded. I didn't walk away so lucky. Wrecked my machine and I ended up with a dislocated shoulder that has hassled me for the last 8 years. 3 more dislocations, surgery.
People are so dumb sometimes. I wonder if the RCMP would or should be involved in a case like that to lay charges and assign blame for insurance reasons? Not sure how the laws work on FSR's or sled trails but if the other guy was impaired........ That's a lot of money down the tubes over someone else's stupidity!

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Jesus.
Thank christ everyone is safe and all right.
Even though helmet was not done up, it still served a purpose.
I still see people without helmets riding. Small percentage but they are out there.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear he is OK. I believe the laws follow FSR trails do they not? If you can get an impaired on the trail or a speeding ticket why not undo care and caution? Anybody know?

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Did the other guy have insurance?OR you have insurance?

Very Glad hes ok to..Scary chit

Last edited:

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is my worst fear. I showed my daughter this thread and said this is why I want you on your side of the trail at all times, even though it didn't seem to help your son. Now that we have BCA radios she will be behind me 100% of the time from now on as she can call for help if she has issues (not that I don't look back often).
Thank you for posting this. Hope your son is OK. I think after seeing the helmet I would take him in to get checked over.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Usually it's the other around.. the guy going against the common traffic flow should be careful..

Last season, I forgot to fill oil at the parking lot, at Chappell, 5 km's in I decided to turn around and fill up.

I was super cautious coming around corners, because I knew there were sleds ripping up.

I almost got into 5 or 6 head ons from guys ripping it up.

It's crazy.

your son was lucky he wasn't injured worse. That helmet isn't just a head warmer.

Top Bottom