Cops and sledders by Quartz

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys act like it has gotten worse over the years lol, you all must have good but very short memories, i remember the day, like 25 years us ago where everyone i rode with and everyone we ran into would bring a dozen beer each, mickeys of schnapps, whiskey, vodka etc, drink every drop and nobody thought different about it, i actually find there is way less boozing going on by a long shot these days, maybe more dope smoking nowadays but that is all. Just cause you get billigerent having a hoot doesnt mean regular smokers do, i could smoke joints all day and have a perfectly fine head about me but have been a daily smoker for over 20 years, ride just fine if i feel like it that is...... dont smoke when i ride for that reason, get lazy and just wanna sit and watch lol.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I honestly don’t understand how guys even pull it off. I have a hard enough time not killing myself up there stone sober! I like my whiskey as much as the next guy (probably more) but if I were to get loaded and head to the backcountry I wouldn’t last 5 minutes before I either killed myself, yard saled my sled, or both.
Some people can handle themselves and some people cant, just how we're wired. Once years ago we were in chappel, i drank about 6-8 beer that day, few shots, nothing major and was doing nothing but bailing my dads buddy petey out of a $hit show every 20 minutes cause he was completely loser pissed off 2 strongbow lol. Tolerance is key, know your limit is what the saying used to be, now you all support the paint all with the same brush and treat everyone like 5 year old with this zero tolerance cash grab sysytem put in place by the very governments you all bash on the regular. Not saying i get drunk all the time and ride and drive, in fact i barely drink anymore while sledding in the mountains, even in the evenings after riding, mostly because of hangovers and room to pack the beers lol

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I usually pack beers, some days 2, some days 6. Sometimes I get back to the parking lot and all 6 are gone other days I still have one of my 2 at the end of the day.... depends on the riding conditions, weather, mood etc. If I'm driving home I will always be legal if I'm a passenger I may not be - I will always ride to my condition, If I've had 6 beers up on the hill it's very low consequence areas and a slow trail ride down....

I'll do me you do you.....

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I usually pack beers, some days 2, some days 6. Sometimes I get back to the parking lot and all 6 are gone other days I still have one of my 2 at the end of the day.... depends on the riding conditions, weather, mood etc. If I'm driving home I will always be legal if I'm a passenger I may not be - I will always ride to my condition, If I've had 6 beers up on the hill it's very low consequence areas and a slow trail ride down....

You’re part of the problem. You doing you doesn’t apply to a sled trail that others use in both directions at any time during the day. No different than a road. I hope these check stops become more frequent IMO, trails and backcountry is for responsible users only

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You’re part of the problem. You doing you doesn’t apply to a sled trail that others use in both directions at any time during the day. No different than a road. I hope these check stops become more frequent IMO, trails and backcountry is for responsible users only
Lol clearly you must of been a very spoiled coddled child raised by very liberal minded thinkers..... aka panzies if you think that. If you think a guy having a few beers on the hill is dangerous and is the problem and support checkstop cash grabs at the hills/ staging areas then you must be laughably dumb IMO. You think covid deters people from supporting these sled communities, wait until what you preach comes true. No wonder your such a covid believer. You have jumped on the 2020 societal bandwagon and im afraid its gonna take you on one very ugly path...... guys like you will be begging the real men to protect you when civil or possibly world war breaks out

Last edited:

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Exactly, not to many of us left in this world, keep up the good fight

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol clearly you must of been a very spoiled coddled child raised by very liberal minded thinkers..... aka panzies if you think that. If you think a guy having a few beers on the hill is dangerous and is the problem and support checkstop cash grabs at the hills/ staging areas then you must be laughably dumb IMO. You think covid deters people from supporting these sled communities, wait until what you preach comes true. No wonder your such a covid believer. You have jumped on the 2020 societal bandwagon and im afraid its gonna take you on one very ugly path...... guys like you will be begging the real men to protect you when civil or possibly world war breaks out

There is a big difference between the guy that has a few beers and the guy that can barely walk at the end of the day.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a big difference between the guy that has a few beers and the guy that can barely walk at the end of the day.
Yes to a normal level headed person you bet there is. But to Trudeau's illegitimate love child Jorgy and his check stops at stagng areas there is not, if he gets his liberal wish the few beer guy and lots of beer guy get the same DUI and fines, impounds etc. You comprende? I got a buddy whos a cop out in whistler and he was telling me the majority of DUI charges are .08 -.10 blood alcohol level, thats a few beer. A DUI is like a preganancy there is no a little pregnant and no a little DUI, its black or white, either you are or are not, its not a judgement thing

Last edited:

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes to a normal level headed person you bet there is. But to Trudeau's illegitimate love child Jorgy and his check stops at stagng areas there is not, if he gets his liberal wish the few beer guy and lots of beer guy get the same DUI and fines, impounds etc. You comprende?

Honestly our group doesn't drink on the hill.
I like it that way.
I've seen and riden with guys that have a beer ever time we stop and they still out ride everyone else and you'd never know they had a drink.
And I've riden with other guys that cant stay on the sled. Can't get out of areas. Stumbling around.

Personally I'd much sooner ride with someone who is there to ride. And we'll drink when we are back at the room.
Zero chance of a DUI should we hit a check stop.
And all our bad decisions while riding were made with a sober mind.

But that's just me.

At the end of the day you do you. I'll do me.
But should you end up in a bad situation due to a poor thought process brought on by a few too many, be it a DUI or an accident or incident with SARs Then as long as you can live with the consequences, do what makes you happy.

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some people can handle themselves and some people cant, just how we're wired. Once years ago we were in chappel, i drank about 6-8 beer that day, few shots, nothing major and was doing nothing but bailing my dads buddy petey out of a $hit show every 20 minutes cause he was completely loser pissed off 2 strongbow lol. Tolerance is key, know your limit is what the saying used to be, now you all support the paint all with the same brush and treat everyone like 5 year old with this zero tolerance cash grab sysytem put in place by the very governments you all bash on the regular. Not saying i get drunk all the time and ride and drive, in fact i barely drink anymore while sledding in the mountains, even in the evenings after riding, mostly because of hangovers and room to pack the beers lol

Not where I was going at all with my post. Not judging anyone or telling anyone what they should or shouldn’t do. I’m just saying I personally could not do it. As far as alcohol tolerance goes, I consider myself a “seasoned vet”. Feel like I can hold my own. That being said, I know from experience, sledding back home here on the prairies when I was younger, even after 2,3 or 4 beer, I felt more courageous and made poor decisions. I was not drunk. Not even close. But it definitely changed the way I rode. Can usually get away with it at home here, usually, but I simply could not get away with it in the mountains. Maybe its my lack of experience (50ish days total) or whatever but when I’m out west, I need to be on my game the best I can be. But that’s just me.

Last edited:

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like it that way.
I've seen and riden with guys that have a beer ever time we stop and they still out ride everyone else and you'd never know they had a drink.
And I've riden with other guys that cant stay on the sled. Can't get out of areas. Stumbling around.

Personally I'd much sooner ride with someone who is there to ride. And we'll drink when we are back at the room.

But that's just me.

But should you end up in a bad situation due to a poor thought process brought on by a few too many, be it a DUI or an accident or incident with SARs Then as long as you can live with the consequences, do what makes you happy.
Yes fair enough, thats a normal attitude to have about it and id never fault someone like that. And trust me i make a lot of poor decisions out in the backcpuntry sober, probably way more than once ive had a few thats for sure.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this reminds me of a poker rally we did at seba a few years back. We always pack beer for the rallies, and on some of them make a point of stopping at the pubs..... you know, just to support local business lol. But on the seba rally we had just got 1 km away (at most) from the starting point and pulled up on a group of 18-21 year old kids who were guzzling JD straight out of the bottle. When we stopped for our first beer break I said to the father in law that without a doubt that group would be a total mess by days end. End of day comes and we had seen the progression go from kids drinking to kids white girl wasted. I am in the parking lot putting sleds in the enclosed when I hear a sled screaming so I go to the door and look. What do I see? Drunk kid ripping towards the ramp on his 4 place flat deck so he can get on the flat deck fast enough to still be able to climb the ramp from the flat deck to the sled deck. Turns out he was going a little too fast and ended up clearing the sled deck headache rack and parked most of the sled on the roof of his brand new duramax. What was his first reaction? A huge YYEEAAHHHHHHHHHHH! followed by cheers from all of his buddies. They ended up loading all of the sleds and packed up. We were hoping they would be heading to a cabin in seba somewhere very close just so there was not much driving, but had actually heard from another group that they boys were from Drayton and were headed to BP’s. Needles to say there were numerous reports called in that night and we all hope they were stopped while everyone was safe. My view of it is this, if I can have a beer or 3 with chicken wings and dinner and drive my truck and trailer filled with sleds home I should be allowed to do the same with the sleds inside. No need to be slobbering drunk.... but there is nothing wrong with sipping a few back responsibly while enjoying your favourite pass times.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another good point. Is look at your riding buddies.
Should something happen at any point in the day. 3 beers in. 6 beers in. A Mickey in.
Would they be able to quickly extract you if you were buried?

Drinking can make bad decisions. But it can also slow reaction time
It can slow quick thinking.
And in an emergency you need that.
Not everyone can function the same with beer or two.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like it that way.

But that's just me.

Thank you. I agree. I’m there to ride hard and then drink (sometimes hard) when the day is done. People are going to be irresponsible, you just hope it doesn’t affect others

Reactions: RXN

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
We all, at one time or another, have said (at least I think we all have said it), "we are our worst enemy!"

The alcohol problem on the hill is no exception. Back in the day when I used to groom ( part of our job was to pick up the empties and bring them down), the amount of hard liquor bottles in the garbage was hard to comprehend. There were many times that one would find a Handle or 1750 mm. Maybe it was only half full when the day started but who knows. The point is "one is driving a motor vehicle" and the law is the law. So they come down the mountain under the influence and they may or may not have some more at the truck/trailer and then drive to town. I have always said, it would be easy to clean up the worst offenders if the RCMP made an occasional stop at the staging area around 3:30 until 6:00 pm. If word got out, the problem would go away quite quickly.

I have no problem with me being me and you being you but I have a problem with impaired driving. Trevor mentioned about how it used to be. I can clearly remember when i first started riding in the mountains with guys riding on their split or first day off and packing 12's, 15's, and in some cases 24's. I don't tend to see that much anymore but I usually ride where there are few crowds so I probably miss a lot.

Just to clarify, I am a non-drinker on the hill and/or in the staging area. But I will keep my white teeth and not interfere with you being you!

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I agree. I’m there to ride hard and then drink (sometimes hard) when the day is done. People are going to be irresponsible, you just hope it doesn’t affect others
So its not ok to have a few on the hill but drink hard after riding that night so your hungover and still probably legally drunk the next morning with a body thats dehydrated and spent from processing a bunch of alcohol?????????? And you say thats safer???? LMAO, i was joking about being trudy's love child but your so hypocritical I think it may be true

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
15 deaths here on atvs with booze a factor in 12 ....
We pack water only for the day sledding and have drinks with supper. Not interested in blowing a day of riding because someone is hung over ...
But...if cops were really interested in reducing booze and sleds all they would have to do is a ride check by any of the cabin areas and watering holes ...so far it doesn't seem to be a priority ...

Last edited:

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
15 deaths here on atvs with booze a factor in 12 ....
We pack water only for the day sledding and have drinks with supper. Not interested in blowing a day of riding because someone is hung over ...
But...if cops were really interested in reducing booze and sleds all they would have to do is a ride check by any of the cabin areas and watering holes ...so far it doesn't seem to be a priority ...

not necessarily true, I have seen cops more times than I can remember up a thunder water.

Gorman, well they normally site at the bridge crossing not only getting sleds but the ski community as well.

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not necessarily true, I have seen cops more times than I can remember up a thunder water.

Gorman, well they normally site at the bridge crossing not only getting sleds but the ski community as well.

That Dude is talking about Newfoundland

Top Bottom