Cool Guns

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how do gun shows in Canada work in terms of what’s for sale? can you buy from fellow attendees like here in the states or?
keep hearing how restrictive gun ownership is there so the idea of a gun show is interesting.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how do gun shows in Canada work in terms of what’s for sale? can you buy from fellow attendees like here in the states or?
keep hearing how restrictive gun ownership is there so the idea of a gun show is interesting.
Well for non restricted firearms you are supposed to get a transfer number from the RCMP website when you check to see if someone's PAL (firearms license) is valid before making the sale.

Any of the business there selling guns will have the business version of that system, if your PAL checks out you take the gun home with you.

Last edited:

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are there restrictions to types of guns or their actions?
We have 3 classes basically. Non-resricted, Restricted, and Prohibited.

A lot of the early pistols and military pistols fall into the prohibited class because of thier barrel length being under 4.1 inches. There are also a number of modern pistols designed for conceal carry in the USA that fall into this class. There is a Licence for this class but there are no longer issuing new licenses or allowing the "Grandfathering" of these licenses. So once the people that have a Prohib licence for collecting all pass away those firearms will have to be deactivated or turned over for destruction.

Restricted is the class most of our pistols fall into with a barrel length of at least 4.11 inches and any semi auto center fire rifle that has a barrel length under 18.5 inches. Pistol Caliber Carbines are included in that due to them using center fire ammo... example Kriss Vector SBR in 9mm would be restricted and only allowed to be used at a gun range...

Non - Restricted class is everything with a barrel longer that 18.5 " semi auto or not. We also don't have many restrictions on rimfire firearms. You can have a Kriss Vector in 22lr that has an 8" barrel that is non restricted. Non - Restricted firearms can be used basically anywhere it is safe to discharge a firearm on private or crown land or at the range..

There are a few other technicalities when a person digs deeper but that is the jist of it. We can no longer buy or sell Pistols to each other or from businesses as consumers in Canada as our government thinks that the registered pistols and firearms owners are where all the handgun crime is coming from not the criminals doing criminal things.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are there restrictions to types of guns or their actions?
I also forgot about anything that's deemed an antique. I believe they have to be deactivated, but not 100% sure but there is no licence required. All you need is cash and to be 18 years old to own antique firearms.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also forgot about anything that's deemed an antique. I believe they have to be deactivated, but not 100% sure but there is no licence required. All you need is cash and to be 18 years old to own antique firearms.
There is a couple antiques in a caliber that is really rare to find ammo for now that were not restricted and did not need to be deactivated. This may have changed with the ban I am not sure.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
appreciate all the info—thanks for taking the time.
it’s the same here in terms of gun laws only affecting law abiding owners.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well for non restricted firearms you are supposed to get a transfer number from the RCMP website when you check to see if someone's PAL (firearms license) is valid before making the sale.

Any of the business there selling guns will have the business version of that system, if your PAL checks out you take the gun home with you.
Non of the gun shops locally check anything
they look at your pal and look at your face and take your money
out the door I go

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an old 700BDL that was my first gun, and the barrel is done. I decided to make it a 7mmPRC, barrel is ordered, new stock is here, trigger tech trigger on its way too. I am usually not big on the new hype calibers but I didn't need a duplicate rifle of what I already have. Hope its a shooter when all assembled.
You'll love it, I had one put together by antler arms in carbon mountain. Its a awesome caliber, and is a dream to shoot even with just a radial brake.
and if your a over the counter ammo guy, its actually half reasonable to shoot. @$70-75 a box.

Top Bottom