Cool Guns

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
so I handload, and I bought some 80gr. Berger varmint FB bullets for my .243, I finally got to try them and all I can say is, if you are the type of person who may like to keep the fur off the critter you shoot, DON'T use these bullets....what a mess !!!! They are very effective at killing but the damage was massive....next I am going to try the Nosler 70gr Varmint and see if it is less explosive

I bought some of those for my tikka and they **** like garbage. The spread was everywhere. That rifle didn't like them. Don't remember the gr though

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I got some stuff to do this morning but I might go for a coyote look this afternoon. I bought some hornady varmint shells and curious to see what they do outta the tikka

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so I handload, and I bought some 80gr. Berger varmint FB bullets for my .243, I finally got to try them and all I can say is, if you are the type of person who may like to keep the fur off the critter you shoot, DON'T use these bullets....what a mess !!!! They are very effective at killing but the damage was massive....next I am going to try the Nosler 70gr Varmint and see if it is less explosive

That is a load more suited for wolves vs yotes. Especially at short ranges. I've loaded up 60gr bergers at 3400fps for my 223 and those are excessive and rather abusive with pelt damage. If you are looking for a load that will dump yotes without the mayhem the 70gr you are looking at next will be a waste of time as well. Nosler and Sierra make a 55gr bullet suited for varmints and the speeds you can get are mind numbing. Still not in the 22-250 speed race but more like a zippy 3400-3600fps. At those speeds with those bullets touching hide would turn them into grenades in the chest cavity in the hopes there is no exit. IMO, love reloading and the little quirks that goes with the multitude of variations. Side note if the speeds are to fast still play with the loads and reduce the powder (save a bit of money) reduce an already mild recoil and see how that works. Just watch for to light a load and hang fires, THOSE SUCK!

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is a load more suited for wolves vs yotes. Especially at short ranges. I've loaded up 60gr bergers at 3400fps for my 223 and those are excessive and rather abusive with pelt damage. If you are looking for a load that will dump yotes without the mayhem the 70gr you are looking at next will be a waste of time as well. Nosler and Sierra make a 55gr bullet suited for varmints and the speeds you can get are mind numbing. Still not in the 22-250 speed race but more like a zippy 3400-3600fps. At those speeds with those bullets touching hide would turn them into grenades in the chest cavity in the hopes there is no exit. IMO, love reloading and the little quirks that goes with the multitude of variations. Side note if the speeds are to fast still play with the loads and reduce the powder (save a bit of money) reduce an already mild recoil and see how that works. Just watch for to light a load and hang fires, THOSE SUCK!

I am down to 39grs of IMR 4064 for the 80gr Bergers, I am getting 5 shot 1" groups at 200yrds in my tikka t3 varmint, I tried some 55gr hornady bullets but the groups were no good at all, I don't care about speed either I am more of a tight group shooter, I live about 10 mins from the range so I am lucky and do a lot of test shooting. On a side note the yote I shot was about 250yrds away !!!! I am going to do some wolf hunting this winter and I hope to save a pelt, there are 2 black ones in the pack where I have permission to hunt them

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1" at 200 is impressive. Need bigger predators I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my friend bought a Sako .243 Varmint and with the same exact load he is getting .75 " at 200, very impressive factory rifle

the load is 39grs IMR 4064, Hornady brass with flash holes uniformed (by me), 80gr berger varmint flat base bullets, overall length 2.710, and CCI large rifle primers

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty torn between the xbolt, tikka t3, sako a7.. (would like sako 85) but way outta my price range. And what calibre .270 .300 7mm or 30.06 i think 30.06 is most versatile but curious what others have to say..what everyone opinions on calibre size? I know this is prob gonna be like ford, dodge or chev but...Elk moose and deer for game

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like 300 Weatherby, you can load down or up to suite. If you go smaller there is nothing a 270 will do that a 7 won't do better.
I also like Ford drivetrains, Cummins engines and Allison transmissions.
300 WM recoil is stiff compared to your other choices as well.

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty torn between the xbolt, tikka t3, sako a7.. (would like sako 85) but way outta my price range. And what calibre .270 .300 7mm or 30.06 i think 30.06 is most versatile but curious what others have to say..what everyone opinions on calibre size? I know this is prob gonna be like ford, dodge or chev but...Elk moose and deer for game

If you don't reload your own ammo the 7mm or 270 are better options from what I've seen on the shelves lately for factory and choices. I love the 30-06 cartridge but only when it's necked down to a 270 or 25-06.

The 300 recoil can suck. The bigger question is distance. If you typically shoot open prairies or stretching it out down cut lines vs a tree-stand or across a cut block. Again I'd lean towards the 7mm just because of the 165gr or bigger bullet weights and choices at the store for ammo.

If you reload forget all those and look at a 270 WSM. Gets you a bit faster and flatter without the BC compromise down range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrankShop910

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went out shooting with a friend, he bought his wife a tikka T3 in 308. That a nice shooting gun, and you can shoot it all day with out killing you shoulder and the bank account.
Or a 270 WSM,

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with the tikka. I have owned three and still have the one. They are a great rifle and probably one of the best bangs for the buck Very accurate. Sako isn't any more accurate and target guys found the tikka was more accurate on average for less cost. The sako have nicer stocks but heavier. Haven't used a bolt but usually savage have been decent.

Top Bottom