Comparing Avalanche Backpacks

Millar

Reaction score
I've been looking at various brands and styles of avalanche backpacks lately, and I wonder which one most people go with these days. There are more and more brands starting to make these, all with their own uniqueness. I would like to buy one for the upcoming season and I was wondering if people could post what they have and the pro's and con's of their backpack or vest. Or any pro's or con's you might have seen in other packs. Thanks!

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my avy vest is not set up for a bladder. but it does have impact panels that are removable not as much storage, but enough for water and food. the vest are the way to go in my opinion. the packs are good but can be hard on the shoulders.

blownmotor has some good deals on wary packs and vests right now. 349 u.s

Millar

Reaction score
Yeah, water is a big thing for me. One little bottle doesn't cut it. I sweat like a banshee in Glasgow on Halloween night when I ride if its not -20. Also things I've been considering are the airbags themselves. I feel that the pillow style ones that inflate behind your head would remain highest and leave you face down in the avalanche. Same as the butterfly wing style. I mean its still great that it keeps you on top and easily visible, but the Highmark pro has a bit of the bag come around the sides of your head, possibly preventing an impact with trees. Again, this is all in hopes that my head works and keeps me out of these potentially dangerous zones. We can all agree that prevention and education are the way to go. I'm not worried about the price of a bag either, just want what's going to work best for me. So far I'm leaning towards the Highmark Pro. I've also looked at the Ortovox bag, promoting their easy pull cord and left or right arm pull. But again, no water bladder, and not much room for a few bottles...

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought a avi vest. I like the chest protection and less weight on the shoulders. Now to figure out how to dress with the vest as I'm sure is warm when your working hard

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, water is a big thing for me. One little bottle doesn't cut it. I sweat like a banshee in Glasgow on Halloween night when I ride if its not -20. Also things I've been considering are the airbags themselves. I feel that the pillow style ones that inflate behind your head would remain highest and leave you face down in the avalanche. Same as the butterfly wing style. I mean its still great that it keeps you on top and easily visible, but the Highmark pro has a bit of the bag come around the sides of your head, possibly preventing an impact with trees. Again, this is all in hopes that my head works and keeps me out of these potentially dangerous zones. We can all agree that prevention and education are the way to go. I'm not worried about the price of a bag either, just want what's going to work best for me. So far I'm leaning towards the Highmark Pro. I've also looked at the Ortovox bag, promoting their easy pull cord and left or right arm pull. But again, no water bladder, and not much room for a few bottles...
I run with a few of these in my bag. they are collapsible, so they go flat when you empty them, and bend so they dont' smash your lunch quite as much. I make sure I bring a few litres of water with me as well, and I've never had luck with bladders. They always freeze up on me, even with the insulating sleeves.
Platypus-300x300.jpg

I just bought a avi vest. I like the chest protection and less weight on the shoulders. Now to figure out how to dress with the vest as I'm sure is warm when your working hard
I really didn't find the vest any warmer than wearing just a bag. At least I didn't have to change my layers at all. Depending on the temperature, I usually just change out the base layer I'm wearing (usually a compression shirt that is either really light weight like a gym shirt, or something just a bit heavier). Then I wear an armour jacket, jersey, then my shell. I carry a down sweater that I will through under my shell for the trail when it's colder.

Millar

Reaction score
I find the trick with water bladders in the winter is to blow the water back into to the bladder and out of the hose to prevent freezing. Its always interesting figuring out what layers to wear. I could see the vest making things a little more "snug" but would be alright. Every season layering is an experiment. And where to keep an extra dry layer if needed..

lewey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really didn't find the vest any warmer than wearing just a bag. At least I didn't have to change my layers at all. Depending on the temperature, I usually just change out the base layer I'm wearing (usually a compression shirt that is either really light weight like a gym shirt, or something just a bit heavier). Then I wear an armour jacket, jersey, then my shell. I carry a down sweater that I will through under my shell for the trail when it's colder.

You still wear armour with a vest? Have you tried just the vest's armour or is it not enough?

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You still wear armour with a vest? Have you tried just the vest's armour or is it not enough?
I wear a full armour jacket. I need protection for more than just the torso. Tree bashing is my style, and I took a stick off the outside of my bicep once. Bruised for weeks. Always wear my jacket with shoulder and arm protection now.

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
Can't add much about which pack is good, I've got an old float 30 that weighs a ton, I wouldn't recommend it.
But as for water, keep it on your sled, having it in the backpack really weighs you down and will tire you out quick. And if the bottles/bladder break or burst, you'll have a soggy backpack that freezes to your jacket.

drew17

Reaction score
i have high mark pro because like you i think the inflation around head is the best there is its relatively light. half the weight of the older high mark 22 lots of room for everything you need on the mountain. mine weighs close to 20 pounds loaded with what i bring on mountain and i barely notice it there.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Millar awesome take on the avy packs. One question thought why does a banshee sweat in Glasgow on Halloween night`.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Millar I Like your take on the avy packs. One question though why does a banshee sweat in Glasgow on Halloween night

Top Bottom