Comms in the sxs or on quads

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I am ready to pull the trigger. I have been going back and forth as to which radios I want to use in my sxs. Since there are so many options and there are some cheap guys that don't want to spend any money on something like this I have decided to go with dual band that will communicate with a frs and gmrs radios as well. I have used a frs in the sxs and it was basically useless. Cant hear them when riding and when stopped they didn't seem to work well for me. This won't stop others from using them so I still have to be able to communicate with them as well.

So I sent RG an email to ask some questions about the radios he is selling as well as on the post he has going. For anyone that rides with me look into it as well. I know Arff was looking into getting the new rhino gps and my new radio should work well with his setup as well if he goes that direction.

Im thinking of just making a little pocket on the roof that should keep the radio high and dry and the mic should be easy to get to as well as being close enough to my ears to hear it while driving. I think this could benefit us. Should be easier to get Ron up to the front in case there is a deep mud hole we have to check depth with lol

Bisch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol!! That's awesome! I usually take my BCA radio with me, but rarely use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just think its time. We used CB's and then 2m vhf radios back in the jeep days which was great. I miss being able to tell someone something without have to stop and yell lol.

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The radios that RGM sells are good. The mikes are loud. When sledding, I have mine up on my right shoulder and can hear if someone is calling at WOT. I may not understand what they are saying, but I hear them.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The radios that RGM sells are good. The mikes are loud. When sledding, I have mine up on my right shoulder and can hear if someone is calling at WOT. I may not understand what they are saying, but I hear them.

I have a 5 of baofeng hp82 with remote mics. They work great. We all have rino 650's but prefer to use the baofengs as the radio's work better. The mic clipped to the shoulder strap on back pack when sledding and overhead in the sxs. Need to able to hear the mic over the engine, and that has prevented a bunch of gong shows for our group!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boobage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a pair of Sena bluetooth helmet comms and will likely get another set for my wife. We are getting our son a new quad for his 13th and having the ability to talk in his ear telling him to slow down, stop, or he’s doing a good job will be fantastic. I’m having anxiety issues that this is his first full sized quad and the ability to communicate easily will make me feel much better nothing bad will happen. The comms link multiple riders and also stream music from your smartphone. We pick up our quads next week and our comms should be delivered before that. I cant wait to get out with my son and explore and really hope the helmet comms work the way I envision. :)

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a set of those for the bikes. I have not been impressed with them. Hopefully they work well for you

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a pair of Sena bluetooth helmet comms and will likely get another set for my wife. We are getting our son a new quad for his 13th and having the ability to talk in his ear telling him to slow down, stop, or he’s doing a good job will be fantastic. I’m having anxiety issues that this is his first full sized quad and the ability to communicate easily will make me feel much better nothing bad will happen. The comms link multiple riders and also stream music from your smartphone. We pick up our quads next week and our comms should be delivered before that. I cant wait to get out with my son and explore and really hope the helmet comms work the way I envision. :)

I have a set I use with my kid. They work pretty good for with the kid. But the range is basically just line of site. If there is a hill or thick bush between they loose connection. Also wish the antenna design was different. Looks fragile and it will probably get snapped off in a matter of time. They do filter out engine noise well and it's nice how my music dims if the little guy talks. Pretty expensive though. I also use mine solo when sledding for rocking tunes on the trail but it's not replacement for radios with my buddies.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it is important to keep things simple. I was going to go with cbs for the sxs as they are very simple and cheap but I wanted to get something more useful, also for sledding so I got the other ones. We will see how well it works. The main thing is for everyone to get a decent radio. If they buy junk they won't work well. I tried the frs radios and they just don't work well. Maybe if you are close and walking they aren't too bad.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it is important to keep things simple. I was going to go with cbs for the sxs as they are very simple and cheap but I wanted to get something more useful, also for sledding so I got the other ones. We will see how well it works. The main thing is for everyone to get a decent radio. If they buy junk they won't work well. I tried the frs radios and they just don't work well. Maybe if you are close and walking they aren't too bad.
I think it would be cool to have an old school CB system in the side by. I must have a half dozen of them in various vintage kicking around. in certain conditions they get some pretty crazy range, at the top of km 105 hill in the Chinchaga one winter I was able to hear and speak to a guy in Saskatchewan like he was a mile away. the Cobra I currently have in my KW can pick up skip from truck stops down in the US on a cold clear night. breaker breaker one nine...

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know they work well and a very simple. I still have two that were in the jeeps. It was tough going this direction instead of cb's but the vhf should in theory be better. Even while sitting around the campfire when someone is driving in they can radio in.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well we have radios coming. I am looking forward to trying these out with everyone on the trail. Just need to figure out how to mount mine up at the roof!

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can see it now. Send snorkels up here to the front. We need to see how deep this hole is

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it would be cool to have an old school CB system in the side by. I must have a half dozen of them in various vintage kicking around. in certain conditions they get some pretty crazy range, at the top of km 105 hill in the Chinchaga one winter I was able to hear and speak to a guy in Saskatchewan like he was a mile away. the Cobra I currently have in my KW can pick up skip from truck stops down in the US on a cold clear night. breaker breaker one nine...

Picked up the Texas rangers one nite. Could Hear them but couldn't talk back.

Top Bottom