clutching for 2010 850 XP

recguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there is a clutch kit out there that will improve the stock performance of the 850 XP? Ther machine is stock now and i do not want to modify other than maybe a clutch kit if it will work.

Thanks guys

Sammy

Reaction score
Quad shop customs and Dalton both have kits for the 850 XP. I have run the Quad shop customs for approx; 1500 miles in my 850. It is a good kit that will add better belt grip to eliminate belt slip with the bigger aggresive mud tires. I have recently installed the Dalton kit with the adjustable weights and have run this for approx; 300 miles. I prefer the Dalton because of the smoother engagement and it pulls harder on the top end and also the fact it can easily be set up for other mods you may decide to do. Both kits help to eliminate belt slip when you start running a more aggressive tire. Do not expect either kit to add any mph to your quad.

recguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info SAMMY. I ride with a guy that has another 2010 850 xp and i was just looking for that little extra edge to leave him in the dust. Do you think installing the dalton kit will give me this edge over a stocker?

Sammy

Reaction score
I am sure the Dalton kit has the ability to outperform the stock clutching, just a little time and patience in trying different set up with the weights. Daltons kit comes with two springs for the primary so you can choose a higher engagement which can help in getting the quicker start if you have the traction. Loading the weights differently can also create different shifts or acceleration curves, a basic understanding of clutching is useful if you want to experiment with this tuning. The Dalton kit is not cheap, but being able to beat up on your freinds is priceless.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am sure the Dalton kit has the ability to outperform the stock clutching, just a little time and patience in trying different set up with the weights. Daltons kit comes with two springs for the primary so you can choose a higher engagement which can help in getting the quicker start if you have the traction. Loading the weights differently can also create different shifts or acceleration curves, a basic understanding of clutching is useful if you want to experiment with this tuning. The Dalton kit is not cheap, but being able to beat up on your freinds is priceless.

Did you install the kit yourself?

recguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, i will contact Dalton and see if they can set me up with some kind of combination for my riding.

Sammy

Reaction score
Did you install the kit yourself?

Yes, this kit is a little easier to install than the quad shop custom due to the fact there are no changes to the secondary. With the quad shop custom a different secondary spring is required, with this i had to fabricate my own tool to compress the secondary spring. Dalton supplies some good info on set up for different applications, i ended up very close to their recommendations with the exception of the secondary. I am running a HSP spring in my secondary, my preference when running the 30" silverbacks.

recguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
iT SOUNDS LIKE EVERYONE HAS BEEN INSTALLING THESE KITS IN THE "09" 850. i HAVE THE "10" 850 AND THE CLUTCHING HAS CHANGED. DIFFERENT WEIGHTS AND HELIX. WILL THESE KITS FROM QSC AND DALTON STILL ADD SOME PERFORMANCE IN THE 2010 850?

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
iT SOUNDS LIKE EVERYONE HAS BEEN INSTALLING THESE KITS IN THE "09" 850. i HAVE THE "10" 850 AND THE CLUTCHING HAS CHANGED. DIFFERENT WEIGHTS AND HELIX. WILL THESE KITS FROM QSC AND DALTON STILL ADD SOME PERFORMANCE IN THE 2010 850?

the clutch kits from the 09's will not work in the 10's. i am not sure if anybody has made a kit for the 10's yet.

recguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks onlypolaris. Apparently the 2010 clutching is supposed to be alot better than the 2009 models. I probobly should just keep it stock as installing anything yet will probobly be going backwards.
Just looking for a little more out of her thats all. you know what its all about.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks onlypolaris. Apparently the 2010 clutching is supposed to be alot better than the 2009 models. I probobly should just keep it stock as installing anything yet will probobly be going backwards.
Just looking for a little more out of her thats all. you know what its all about.

i wouldn't say its better. 09 clutching was focused on low end for more of a work bike. 10 they made the clutching sportier.

recguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you hear of anything in regards to clutching for the 2010's in the near future pm me.
Hey your snorkel kit, did you install yourself? I would like to put one on mine, and was wondering how difficult this task would be?

Sammy

Reaction score
the clutch kits from the 09's will not work in the 10's. i am not sure if anybody has made a kit for the 10's yet.

Yes Polaris did change from a 63g weight to a 60g weight in 2010 and also changed the cam in the secondary( steeper helix i believe). However Dalton claims the kit is effective for both 2009 and 2010 models. I would also talk to Adam at QSC to see if his kit is good for both years.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you hear of anything in regards to clutching for the 2010's in the near future pm me.
Hey your snorkel kit, did you install yourself? I would like to put one on mine, and was wondering how difficult this task would be?

yes i did the snorkels myself. i bought the mudindustries kit but didn't like how it was designed. i recently made my own design and once i figured it out it was very easy to install.

Top Bottom