clutch wont come off 09 xp

dlg27

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem on my 09 xp. Could not get it off. Took it to the dealer and I think they head to heat it up to get it off. Have also heard of guys putting water in the bolt hole then wraping the bolt with teflon tape and screwing it back it. I guess the pressure from the water will help push it off

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put a dab of grease on the tip of my puller and tighten it up, then just gently tap the puller with a hammer, then give it a little more twist on the bolt, and it will usually pop. If it doesnt come off, I just start over with a little more grease on the tip, havent had to try more than twice. If that doesnt work, I've heard of guys doing the water thing and letting the sled sit outside on its side, when the water freezes it pops the clutch off ( I havent tried this myself). I would strongly advise you not to use an impact ( as tempting as it may be) I was told by a sled mechanic that it shocks (or indexes) the crank bearings. Others have poured hot water over the shieve, and others have put a heat gun on the shieve. Hopefully this helps :)

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem on my 09 xp. Could not get it off. Took it to the dealer and I think they head to heat it up to get it off. Have also heard of guys putting water in the bolt hole then wraping the bolt with teflon tape and screwing it back it. I guess the pressure from the water will help push it off

X2 on the water and teflon tape.

I don't even use my clutch puller any more. Just put the sled on it's side fill the hole with water or something thicker (oil works a little better but makes more of a mess). Wrap teflon tape (clockwise) around the threads on the bolt and thread it in. The clutch should pop off with minimal effort!

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
then just gently tap the puller with a hammer

Tapping the puller with a hammer isn't great for the crank bearings either or for the puller.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use the water trick because water cannot be compressed, it forces itself between the clutch and against the crank taper and pops the clutch off.

or if you are brave like me put the puller in tight and then heat up the shaft between the sheaves, get it hot, like almost too hot to touch but not "melt the crank seal" hot (because there is a crank seal behind the clutch) and then give the end of the puller a smack with the hammer, should pop right off. Usually if you get the puller in tight, once you hit it with heat it will pop itself off, just be ready for it.

You gotta heat it fast so that the clutch taper expands but the crank stub does not and so you don't heatsoak the clutch and heat up all the clutch parts to 500 degrees and melt your buttons, use a heat gun on high - it should come right off.

If neither of these work, take it to the dealer and pay the $$$, it will be worth it.

bgraff1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
put the puller in as tight as you dare. if you have a heat gun put it on the shaft and heat it up. it will pop off. if you dont have a heat gun boil a couple pails of hot water and pour it slowly on the shaft, this will also work.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Just did mine, and i put the sled on its side like the above guys said, and put water into the clutch bolt threads and then inserted the clutch bolt with teflon around it and just go into the first part of the threads.... I even used an impact as it's not direct onto the clutch at that point, and very little effort and it "popped" off with a loud pop!!! Very simple..... Didn't even touch my clutch puller tool

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have puller but dont want to over due it and break bolt . any ideas
thanks

torque it by hand as tight as you dare, then puor boiling water on the inner flange. if this doesn't work. I will give you $50.00
just be ready for the popas it comes off!

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I boiled about 8 pots before it popped off. And when it did it release it jumped off and I caught it :beer:

drop the hammer

Reaction score
My method for the tough ones is as stated in the above posts. Grease puller threads lightly and tip to allieviate and thread friction, tighten puller up really tight, poor boiling water on the shaft. I use 90 ft/lbs max on others peoples sleds, I just tighten it really tight on my own.

Scares the crap out of me everytime. Everyone in the garage jumps as they are all watching in silence when I do it.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a word of caution anyone lubing the threads of the puller that what you are thinking you are torquing the puller to and what you are really torquing the puller to are probably 2 very different values. Lube on the bolt threads will give you a "wet" torque value, because you reduce that torque friction with grease, the actual pull on the threads is much more. The torque spec on the clutch bolt is a dry torque spec.

Not that people are hitting crazy torque values but something like 75 ft/lbs dry torque could be equivalent to 100 ft/lbs wet torque value. For someone really cranking on a lubed puller well into the triple digit ft/lbs, that value could actually be much higher.

Not being a dick, just trying to help.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a word of caution anyone lubing the threads of the puller that what you are thinking you are torquing the puller to and what you are really torquing the puller to are probably 2 very different values. Lube on the bolt threads will give you a "wet" torque value, because you reduce that torque friction with grease, the actual pull on the threads is much more. The torque spec on the clutch bolt is a dry torque spec.

Not that people are hitting crazy torque values but something like 75 ft/lbs dry torque could be equivalent to 100 ft/lbs wet torque value. For someone really cranking on a lubed puller well into the triple digit ft/lbs, that value could actually be much higher.

Not being a dick, just trying to help.

this is true. typically i lube the tip..LOL..uhhm of the puller. very small surface and it is pressing steel on steel i wonder what the effects this has.

ren800r

Reaction score
Just was out working on my sled clutch was stuck tried the grease on the tip nothing. Put teflon tape on me clutch bolt filled the bolt hole with water. Didn't even use the clutch holding tool just was turning with wrench holding clutch with my other hand and it popped off could not believe it.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
just was out working on my sled clutch was stuck tried the grease on the tip nothing. Put teflon tape on me clutch bolt filled the bolt hole with water. Didn't even use the clutch holding tool just was turning with wrench holding clutch with my other hand and it popped off could not believe it.

see, it works awesome.....

Top Bottom