Clutch Issue

outlander86

Reaction score
I took my 09 outlander 800 in for its first 10 hour service, and went for a ride after I got it back. It ran fine all day, but at the end of the day, when I was taking it off the trailer to wash it, It was engaging in an odd manner. it would idle normal at like 1250 rpm, and as soon as i put it in gear, it would engage the secondary and the quad idles at like 10km/h... In reverse or hi.. when I press the brake, the machine fights it and then it stalls out.

I assumed there was something stuck in the primary to cause it to stay engaged.. I took it apart, and found that the seal around the clutch housing was half missing! About ten inches of seal were in the grooves and there was no other seal debris to be found! I unbolted the primary and secondary, and as I was pulling the primary, a little piece metal (round about 3mm diameter by 5mm length) flew out attached to a small spring(about 2cm by 3mm diameter) that was badly bent and deformed. I found the hole where these pieces would come from on the primary spindle (where the clutch rotates on.)

The dealer was the last one to work on this system, does it sound like something they effed up?

Any input would be appreciated.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a brand new unit that the dealer last touched, why would you even think of getting your hands dirty?? In the price of the machine you paid for a warranty, i would use it.
Now that you have taken it apart the dealer MIGHT try to blame the whole problem on you (that stuff does happen now and then), hopefully you have a good dealer.
Just my 2 cents.............

Good luck man.

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which dealer?? I had mine in to have the CVT housing replaced (2007 recall) and 2 weeks later...stopped working. Seemed that the dealer forgot to put Loctite on my bolts...spit the whole clutch off. They were not quick to accept fault, but they had to replace it all....

Would definatley take to dealer...

Top Bottom