Clutch drain

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you drain the clutch on a 07 650 brute solid axle. They don't have a drain built into the case. This is retarded all the others ones do. Ideas???

Last edited by a moderator:

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the trail: Put transmission in neutral and rev engine to about 4000rpm. Water will be expelled from the housing exhaust. The belt and clutchs will dry off and then our good to go. Should take from 1 - 3 minutes to dry everything. If the housing is completly flooded than start by reving the engine only enough to get the clutches turning. Clean the housing out as directed below.

In the shop: Remove the battery and fuel tank cover. Unplug the wiring harness from the engine brake actuator and belt switch ( 3 plugs in total). Remove belt cover. Remove primary and secondary clutchs to remove the belt. Use compressed air to remove water droplets and loose debris. Spray housing and cover with brake clean and dry with compressed air. Spray brake clean onto scotch bright and then use the scotch bright (in a circular motion) to clean both sheeves on both clutches. Rinse sheeves off with brake clean and dry with compressed air. Air clean remaining clutch surfaces. Clean belt off with hot soapy water and dry with compressed air. Reassemble without touching edges of the belt or the working surfaces of the sheeves.

I know you were after just getting the water out, but usually dirt enters with the water. The dirt is hard on bushings and buttons.

The belt housing is aluminum so it is possible to drill and tap a hole in the bottom of the housing. Seal the threaded hole with a phillips head screw and an o-ring. Most ATV tool kits come with a phillips screw driver.

Last edited by a moderator:

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told that if you pull one of the bolts in the bottom of the cover it will drain?

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't checked it i might take the cover off drill a hole and put a plug in it.

couleeman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you drain the clutch on a 07 650 brute solid axle. They don't have a drain built into the case. This is retarded all the others ones do. Ideas???

I asked that exact question when buying mine. I was told by the salesman that the case is sealed and it wasn't nessasary. I was told by the mechanic that most cases are not an issue unless in a lot of water. If that is the case to install a drain plug.

Top Bottom