Camper rental- side gig

brad6

Reaction score
Found a decent deal on a camper, don’t really need one since we built a cabin few years ago. But was thinking it might come in handy when working out of town sometimes and for ball tournaments during the summer. Throwing around the idea of maybe renting out when I’m not using it. Any one have experience renting out? Is it more of PITA than it’s worth? Not sure how insurance etc works either…

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have my own RV and no experience renting but I would suggest if you go for it to ensure a healthy deposit and credit card available as there are many things to screw up easily, especially for newbies. We all,have stories for the beginner learning curve .

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
many if not most are so cheaply made too. make sure you fully document the condition of everything between customers.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check with RVezy, I was going to go through them a few years ago and rent out ours.
Never ended up doing it, but i would consider them first, instead of doing it on my own.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check with RVezy, I was going to go through them a few years ago and rent out ours.
Never ended up doing it, but i would consider them first, instead of doing it on my own.
Our kids rent out there camper that way and it works great

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trust me... all the rv's are JUNK compared to the older ones.... ask any owner of one or any RV tech
Yes , I have discovered numerous head scratchers that I know darn well were plainly obvious screw ups and were just pushed out the door to the dealer. One example is drawer slides screwed to a little piece of plywood with every screw speared off the edge and basically holding nothing . Gee why did this drawer fail? You can’t tell me the guy installing the screws didn’t see each one not grabbing and holding into anything solid . Many issues just like that will be discovered over time. Another is inaccessible water pump , backwards taps , hood fan screwed into chipboard that rattled loose . All these will surface after a little usage and travel . Pay attention and keep up the maintenance and refine the factory installation failures as you go.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes , I have discovered numerous head scratchers that I know darn well were plainly obvious screw ups and were just pushed out the door to the dealer. One example is drawer slides screwed to a little piece of plywood with every screw speared off the edge and basically holding nothing . Gee why did this drawer fail? You can’t tell me the guy installing the screws didn’t see each one not grabbing and holding into anything solid . Many issues just like that will be discovered over time. Another is inaccessible water pump , backwards taps , hood fan screwed into chipboard that rattled loose . All these will surface after a little usage and travel . Pay attention and keep up the maintenance and refine the factory installation failures as you go.
Are you in the RV industry? Tech?

brad6

Reaction score
Agreed, we have had a couple older 5th wheels, late 90’s Citation and 05 vanguard. Definitely better built than the new ch!t these days. The unit I’m interested in is 26 ft 09 bumper pull with a decent side slide.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
My 2007 35’ mid grade hardwall fifth wheel has had its problems I would say the biggest issue I’ve had are the failure of all of the important welds. The entire fifth wheel hitch came off the suspension bracket welds all came apart. Lucky I’m a handy person otherwise this would have cost me over 10k in repairs already. Plus tow trucks.

Top Bottom