Clemina Avalanches.....

RMKer

Reaction score
Well here we go...

As one of the sledders involded in an avalanche this weekend, and being fully burried, and can self attest that it not an experience that ANYONE wants to be part of. Im not exactly sure of the name of the area that we were riding in, but if you take a right at the cabin coming from the trail, and follow up the valley once you get into the alpine all the way around, we were hanging around in that area. ( if you climb up that hill you can see the glacier where the Heli Skiers hang out) We knew the conditions were bad, so we weren't hanging around on ANY big slopes, or south facing for that matter. I've been in the area for 5 years now, always at clemina, and NEVER seen this hill break. Another rider with us had been there for 20+ years. Never seen it slide. As I sidehilled up at a fast pace (Not much slope) It broke from under me. I turned out to go down, and unfortunately slammed the throttle in. I hit the first wave on the bottom and it threw me into the air, and in front of the sled, which ran me over. It all ended in the matter of 15 seconds, and I was breathing hard 3 feet under the snow. Although I had a bit of room, I knew that if I didnt relax my breath's it wouldn't be much longer for the pass-out stage. As my father was watching this unfold, he knew exactly where I was. It was just about immediately that they started digging me out. (beacon by the way worked incredibly) It took about 2 hours for me to recover the oxygen levels in my body. I had a migraine for the duration of the day.

I dont want to say that I don't want to sled anymore, it's a huge passion of mine. I'll say that it's been a HUGE eye opener, and that snow conditions are going to have to be pretty close to perfect to head out there again.....

Thank you all.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well here we go...

As one of the sledders involded in an avalanche this weekend, and being fully burried, and can self attest that it not an experience that ANYONE wants to be part of. Im not exactly sure of the name of the area that we were riding in, but if you take a right at the cabin coming from the trail, and follow up the valley once you get into the alpine all the way around, we were hanging around in that area. ( if you climb up that hill you can see the glacier where the Heli Skiers hang out) We knew the conditions were bad, so we weren't hanging around on ANY big slopes, or south facing for that matter. I've been in the area for 5 years now, always at clemina, and NEVER seen this hill break. Another rider with us had been there for 20+ years. Never seen it slide. As I sidehilled up at a fast pace (Not much slope) It broke from under me. I turned out to go down, and unfortunately slammed the throttle in. I hit the first wave on the bottom and it threw me into the air, and in front of the sled, which ran me over. It all ended in the matter of 15 seconds, and I was breathing hard 3 feet under the snow. Although I had a bit of room, I knew that if I didnt relax my breath's it wouldn't be much longer for the pass-out stage. As my father was watching this unfold, he knew exactly where I was. It was just about immediately that they started digging me out. (beacon by the way worked incredibly) It took about 2 hours for me to recover the oxygen levels in my body. I had a migraine for the duration of the day.

I dont want to say that I don't want to sled anymore, it's a huge passion of mine. I'll say that it's been a HUGE eye opener, and that snow conditions are going to have to be pretty close to perfect to head out there again.....

Thank you all.

WOW , glad to hear it worked out for the best for you

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lucky man. Did you buy a lottery ticket that night?;)

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow Man....:eek:...Just goes to show like Lori from Zacs said this year's snowpak is for the unpredictable...Area's we have all sledding in for yrs are now very unpredictable and I think the spring riding is going to be even worse..:eek:...once the melt start's...

Glad this is a success story and not a.......Well You All Know....:(

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
wow man....:eek:...just goes to show like lori from zacs said this year's snowpak is for the unpredictable...area's we have all sledding in for yrs are now very unpredictable and i think the spring riding is going to be even worse..:eek:...once the melt start's...

Glad this is a success story and not a.......well you all know....:(

ya, we already got one of those "well you all know" problems happened.............................................r.i.p albert beck:(:(:(:(:(

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya, we already got one of those "well you all know" problems happened.............................................r.i.p albert beck:(:(:(:(:(

Sorry Summ....I hope you know what I meant by my reply.... and again my heart felt sorroes for all involved.... We had ours earlier this sled season so I know what you all are going through...:(

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you made it.

and my thoughts and prayers to thos who never... Albert Beck R.I.P

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Its not fun is it, I was in the one in blue river on Saturday, I don't know how I managed to run that out but the first thing I thought of was to pull my pack as Lori taught me. Then hold on tight and hit the throttle. The other difference since the course that saved my life is the fact that im always pointed down hill and watch for all the terrain traps and an escape route. Unfortunately Albert didn't make it that day, but he will always be remembered. After being in the avalanche the next couple of days so far I feel like I was ran over by a truck, Pretty sore all over and the hands are quite stiff.

This spring will bring alot of Avalanches everywhere as well as the snow pack is alot different, the way it snowed then it rained and then snow and then cold then hot. And all the different weather this winter has influenced this. Please be carefull out there.

Shankster

Reaction score
Thanks for the really valuable post! Glad you lived to tell about it! At least people will know about the stories and know the severity of the conditions. Trail riding isn't a pile of fun but atleast a guy will still be around next year when the conditions aren't so radical! (Hopefully) Hope the snow melts soon so we can do some quaddin!!!!

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RMKer, glad to hear you are OK. That is two burials at Valemount last weekend and both survived.

It is an unusual year, take care everyone.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
The snow pack is pretty weird .... we ride that same area often and have never even seen a slide. Glad you made it :beer::)

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
bumped into a group at clemina that said they seen 2 separate avys.

we played it safe in the cutblocks and had 2 old boys that sat at the bottom and watched the climbs if we did. we were cautious.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its not fun is it, I was in the one in blue river on Saturday, I don't know how I managed to run that out but the first thing I thought of was to pull my pack as Lori taught me. Then hold on tight and hit the throttle. The other difference since the course that saved my life is the fact that im always pointed down hill and watch for all the terrain traps and an escape route. Unfortunately Albert didn't make it that day, but he will always be remembered. After being in the avalanche the next couple of days so far I feel like I was ran over by a truck, Pretty sore all over and the hands are quite stiff.

This spring will bring alot of Avalanches everywhere as well as the snow pack is alot different, the way it snowed then it rained and then snow and then cold then hot. And all the different weather this winter has influenced this. Please be carefull out there.

Our group canceled our trip for this weekend to McBride. Hearing about Albert was pretty much a major buzzkill. I certainly don't feel like going to the hills right now as much as I know I have enjoyed it in the past. I'm pretty sure I know what I will be thinking as I ride around. Plus, I think the risk factor is just too high right now. Honestly, this year I think I am scared of them. Way too many reports like this. Hearing first hand account of what it like to be in one, and soooo many, and so many reports of stuff sliding here and there were it is not expected. And it's only going to get worse now that the sun is beating on it. Forget it for this year I think - manageable risk is one thing, but the risk is just too high right now.

Top Bottom