Clemina Avalanche Video

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
interesting..i somewhat agree. cant forget trauma...you can have all the avy instructors sledding with you but if you get twisted up theres no chance

dan123

Reaction score
Just about any avy can break you up...it's the conditions, hazards and terrain that dictate!

True again,,but roll down the hill off some rocks or into some tree's
with no avalanche at all will do the same thing...

The mecanism of injury is hitting the rocks or the trees not the snow,,,

in a class 4+100,00tons+ of snow actually crushes you...

any ways what ever,, point is it's dangerous,,thats the way some of
us like it....

People have been getting buried sledding for a long time,,This isn't anything new...

Play safe if you want,,i'll be climing:nono:

dan123

Reaction score
what exaclty makes a class 1-5 avalanche...

im guessing surface area, depth, slope?

I'd love to answer that but the site needs to aprove my posts??

So maybe tommorow??

Edit :1 Relatively Harmless Less than 10 tons 10 meters 1 kPa
2 Could bury, injure, or kill a person 100 tons 100 meters 10 kPa
3 Could bury a car, destroy a small building, or break trees 1000 tons 1000 meters 100 kPa
4 Could destroy a rail car 10,000 tons 2000 meters 500 kPa
5 Largest known 100,000 tons 3000 meters 1000 kPa

Thats simplfiying it a bit but the best i can do at 1am...lol bed time

Last edited:

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

us like it....

People have been getting buried sledding for a long time,,This isn't anything new...

Interesting theory that you have!! Why is it that the largest percentage of fatalities this year were due to class 2 and 3 slides? And only a small percentage of those died from blunt force trauma! You can have a class 3 avalanche and still be buried 3 meters down...

It's people like you that have total disregard for our sport and the people involve in it...very selfish!!
We'll see how much you like it when the "goberment" takes away your rights to access the back country.

Don't get me wrong...I love to climb hills, but there is a time and a place for it...and this year isn't the year:nono:

Safe travels

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the government would try and raise awareness before anialating a billion$ industry

IMO

Yes...you are probably right! However, these deaths etc...sure give ammunition to those who lobby against us!

I don't think you'll ever see it totally shut down, but you'll see more and more closures if this keeps up.

Apparently awareness doesn't work for some:d

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know.. Thats always a dangerous hill no matter when you climb it. Its funny to hear everyone on here talking about closin all the mountains cause of the deaths that have been happening. All sports are dangerous and anytime you sit on a sled it can be the last. Everytime i climb a hill i have always thought to myself, anything can slide at anytime. Be aware and pay attention to the runout path . Hwy 63 to the north takes tons of lives but the highway stays open. Part of the problem is that so many of us born sleders have introduced this sport to people who diddnt grow up with it. They go out and by sleds and teach there friends how to go to the mountains. I remember 15-20 yrs ago parking lots half full with 1980 gmc 2wd pickups and open trailers. Now theres 100 lifted trucks with enclosed trailers. piloted by much younger men with no fear. Most people couldnt afford to sled. The hardcores found the money. Now the west is full of cash and theres more sledders than ever. Of course the death rate will rise. We have increased the odds!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

us like it....

Sorry dude, you are wrong and I think you have a lot more to learn about avy's.
......Problem is hardly any one who rides back country, have the
first clue on what to do if they are buried or if there friends are
buried...

Class 4 or 5 ya your fuct,,but 15 guys watch you get buried in a class 2or 3
you should have a good chance at living,,,provided the right 15guys are watching...I'd rater have 2or3 people that new what they were doing
than 15useless chumps...

How many years have you been riding and what exactly is the "first clue"? Ever been caught in a serious avy? A real avy will scare you so bad that you may never ride again. Here is an old report I dug up from back home in 2003. Read Craig Borash's comments at the bottom, this was a man who was truly humbled by mother nature (some of you may recognize Jim Phelan's name in this article - from the Thunderstruck videos). I have seen trained professionals run around with beacons on transmit instead of switching to receive in the "heat of the moment" during an actual emergency.

Your comment about "liking it dangerous" is very concerning, I would never ride with you. My perception from your posts is that you have a very cavalier attitude about your own safety and those around you, hopefully my perception is wrong. I've raced oval track cars, dove out of airplanes, etc etc. I like adrenaline but I'm not willing to die climbing some stupid hill. There are many more things to live for other than the highmark. Is one highmark worth all the rest of your sledding days? There are times to climb hills. Right now is not that time. I'm not advocating stop sledding, in fact I'm going out tomorrow, but think about your actions and the consequences.

I've known three avy victims who died and two of the three died from trauma caused by the snowpack. One broken neck and one crushed chest. The guy with the broken neck was buried 6" deep - didn't matter how fast he was dug out, he was still dead. If he was alive he could have dug himself out. An avy will bend you in half like a blade of grass, if you think that the snow can't hurt you and that climbing some open hill is "safe" because there are not any trees around, you should take a look at this thread where a young life was lost. https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f14/terrain-information-canadian-avalanche-centre-14607.html ...you are only fooling yourself if you think the snow won't hurt you.

Go down to your local police station and ask to go on a ride along when they have to tell a family that they've lost someone. I'm not being dramatic, do it - seriously. You have no idea what your death will do to your friends and family, or what their death will do to you and yours. It tears people apart. It will tear you apart if its your buddy. It will tear your family apart. I've seen it tear lifelong friendships apart. If you've never had to beat on your buddies chest and scream at him to try and make him breath. If you've never had to go to your buddies funeral and say all the things that you never got to say to his face when it actually meant something. If you've never ran into this family a couple years later and had to look at his wife and kids who are now older and witness a life without a Dad and see the resentment in their eyes that you're there and he is not. If you've never done these things, I surely hope you re-consider your decisions in the mountains and I pray to god that you never will. Things like these will fundamentally change the person you are.

I have no bad feelings towards you, I just hope you re-consider some of the things you have said here and your actions on the hill if they reflect your statements.

These are my words.

dan123

Reaction score
Interesting theory that you have!! Why is it that the largest percentage of fatalities this year were due to class 2 and 3 slides? And only a small percentage of those died from blunt force trauma! You can have a class 3 avalanche and still be buried 3 meters down...

It's people like you that have total disregard for our sport and the people involve in it...very selfish!!
We'll see how much you like it when the "goberment" takes away your rights to access the back country.

Don't get me wrong...I love to climb hills, but there is a time and a place for it...and this year isn't the year:nono:

Safe travels

I realise most people die in class 2 or 3 avalanches,,and only few a due to
blunt force trama and you could be 3m under.....

Class 4 and 5 are acctually qyite rare...
reread your post:yes if you break you neck your done,,no matter how it happens thats true..
But point was,,Alot of people could be saved that aren't.But that a risk we take

I,ve been riding back country snowmobiling since 94 and if I never climbed
any hills due to dangerous conditions,well that would be every year...

IMO 2002 was worse contions than this year,,,lots of people got
killed this year,,and if the goberment shut me down I'll be more pissed
than you could imagine...

But i know what back country riding is about people DIE DOING THIS
EVERY YEAR!!!(27 in 03) I SAY SO WHAT,,you stay don't climb,,So you be
safe,, please stat home,,next year too would ya:rant:

dan123

Reaction score
Sorry dude, you are wrong and I think you have a lot more to learn about avy's.

I know more than most+have more experince than most,,but I DO have room for Improvement

How many years have you been riding and what exactly is the "first clue"? Ever been caught in a serious avy? A real avy will scare you so bad that you may never ride again. Here is an old report I dug up from back home in 2003. Read Craig Borash's comments at the bottom, this was a man who was truly humbled by mother nature (some of you may recognize Jim Phelan's name in this article - from the Thunderstruck videos). I have seen trained professionals run around with beacons on transmit instead of switching to receive in the "heat of the moment" during an actual emergency.

Your comment about "liking it dangerous" is very concerning, I would never ride with you. My perception from your posts is that you have a very cavalier attitude about your own safety and those around you, hopefully my perception is wrong. I've raced oval track cars, dove out of airplanes, etc etc. I like adrenaline but I'm not willing to die climbing some stupid hill. There are many more things to live for other than the highmark. Is one highmark worth all the rest of your sledding days? There are times to climb hills. Right now is not that time. I'm not advocating stop sledding, in fact I'm going out tomorrow, but think about your actions and the consequences.

I've known three avy victims who died and two of the three died from trauma caused by the snowpack. One broken neck and one crushed chest. The guy with the broken neck was buried 6" deep - didn't matter how fast he was dug out, he was still dead. If he was alive he could have dug himself out. An avy will bend you in half like a blade of grass, if you think that the snow can't hurt you and that climbing some open hill is "safe" because there are not any trees around, you should take a look at this thread where a young life was lost. https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f14/terrain-information-canadian-avalanche-centre-14607.html ...you are only fooling yourself if you think the snow won't hurt you.

Go down to your local police station and ask to go on a ride along when they have to tell a family that they've lost someone. I'm not being dramatic, do it - seriously. You have no idea what your death will do to your friends and family, or what their death will do to you and yours. It tears people apart. It will tear you apart if its your buddy. It will tear your family apart. I've seen it tear lifelong friendships apart. If you've never had to beat on your buddies chest and scream at him to try and make him breath. If you've never had to go to your buddies funeral and say all the things that you never got to say to his face when it actually meant something. If you've never ran into this family a couple years later and had to look at his wife and kids who are now older and witness a life without a Dad and see the resentment in their eyes that you're there and he is not. If you've never done these things, I surely hope you re-consider your decisions in the mountains and I pray to god that you never will. Things like these will fundamentally change the person you are.

I have no bad feelings towards you, I just hope you re-consider some of the things you have said here and your actions on the hill if they reflect your statements.

These are my words.

I'm 29 i,ve been doing this sinse 94,,I've been caught in avalanches,,
I've dug my brother out of avalnches,,I've SEEN A REAL CLASS 4(very scary yes,,wouldn't want to be in it's way)
in Hope creek,,,More people have Quit riding becuase of the places
i've took them then you would believe,,(including my own dad)
I've been on more trips than i rember that some fool and his first timer group got buried and didn't know
what to do,,(not only in avalanches,,some times these idiots get so stuck it's not even funny)

"have seen trained professionals run around with beacons on transmit instead of switching to receive in the "heat of the moment" during an actual emergency"

It happens and thats sad,,but if you and your group just Rented some beacon,,,oh but not eneogh for everybody..
I'd be a little more catious with that group than with seasoned vetrans...

"what exactly is the "first clue"?"
First clue would be to actually know how to use the gear you have,,first clue would to be to recoginse you friend is going up a avalche run so"don't park in it's path,,keep an eye on your buddy so if he's caught you know where to look,,for god sakes
1sled on the hill at a time dammit!! if your buddy is stuck half way up mount everst,,let him get him self out(this ones a hard
one for some)

Now it your climbing a hill and it comes down know what your going to do..getting out out of the way ither above it
or beside it is your best bet,,if your caught in it obviously try to stay on the sled and above the surface,,if you fall
off do your best to swim to the surface,,if you are buried under try to creat an air pocket,,but when the snow stops moving
it will be impossible so you must time it...And If your times up your times up...

I'don't know i guess that's the first clue,,pretty basic ch!t,, but most people I see riding nowadays don't seem to know
any of that...

sorry i do like the Danger,,I don't want to die but i Know thats a risk
i am taking,,sounds like most of you don't execpt that..fine,maybe
the back counrty isn't for you..

Here a good avy ride out vid from 2000/slednecks3/chatter creek lodge

Less wining and leasons learning leason though

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv3H7wseEIM[/media]

Sleding is what I do,,can't think of a better way to die.....
Anyway that my thoughs if you don't agree,,no hard feelings:beer:

dan123

Reaction score
You know.. Thats always a dangerous hill no matter when you climb it. Its funny to hear everyone on here talking about closin all the mountains cause of the deaths that have been happening. All sports are dangerous and anytime you sit on a sled it can be the last. Everytime i climb a hill i have always thought to myself, anything can slide at anytime. Be aware and pay attention to the runout path . Hwy 63 to the north takes tons of lives but the highway stays open. Part of the problem is that so many of us born sleders have introduced this sport to people who diddnt grow up with it. They go out and by sleds and teach there friends how to go to the mountains. I remember 15-20 yrs ago parking lots half full with 1980 gmc 2wd pickups and open trailers. Now theres 100 lifted trucks with enclosed trailers. piloted by much younger men with no fear. Most people couldnt afford to sled. The hardcores found the money. Now the west is full of cash and theres more sledders than ever. Of course the death rate will rise. We have increased the odds!

Couldn't agree with you more:beer: +no groomed trails oh my back,,,bustin trail into these places use to be half the fun!

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well Dan I can see you not getting old!! I to have ridden for a long time in a lot of unsanctioned crazy back country and I can assure you that with your attitude you will never be allowed to ride with our group no matter how good you ride or what special areas you know. I would never intrust my life in you. You enjoy your time in the mountains but expect no condolences when your time comes, oh and don't you worry it's comin sooner than you think!!!!

dan123

Reaction score
Well Dan I can see you not getting old!! I to have ridden for a long time in a lot of unsanctioned crazy back country and I can assure you that with your attitude you will never be allowed to ride with our group no matter how good you ride or what special areas you know. I would never intrust my life in you. You enjoy your time in the mountains but expect no condolences when your time comes, oh and don't you worry it's comin sooner than you think!!!!

Okdoky,,i don't want to ride with you anyway so don't worry:d

I am going out on friday,, and if thats my my day to die,,
i don't need Any simpathy......

Happy trails bud:confused:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okdoky,,i don't want to ride with you anyway so don't worry:d

I am going out on friday,, and if thats my my day to die,,
i don't need Any simpathy......

Happy trails bud:confused:

BBtoys......cleaup required on mountain 13.....don't bother with the soggy garbage.....just bring out the sled:cool:

dan123

Reaction score
BBtoys......cleaup required on mountain 13.....don't bother with the soggy garbage.....just bring out the sled:cool:

thats the atitude i like,,might be hope for you yet:beer:

Edit:I relise most of you won't like/or understand,, what i've said
But no disrespect intended to any avalanche victims,survivors or
members of this site.

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dan 123, I've been playing in the High Country (over 40 yrs) when you had to rely on skill and knowledge to get you there, not just with hi HP, long tracked sleds that anyone can buy.

After reading your posts, I'm at a loss for words other than to say "Goodbye Pal", you're on your way to becoming a statistic.:confused:

dan123

Reaction score
dan 123, I've been playing in the High Country (over 40 yrs) when you had to rely on skill and knowledge to get you there, not just with hi HP, long tracked sleds that anyone can buy.

After reading your posts, I'm at a loss for words other than to say "Goodbye Pal", you're on your way to becoming a statistic.:confused:

I'm just glad i didn't spend my prime years riding an 440elan, that any one could buy, around up in the
Alpine,,,my dad/grandad can tell me all about that....

Thanks 'PAL' for your words of wisdom:rolleyes:

Top Bottom