Clearly Lasik

polcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there pretty good at convincing people that they should spend the extra $$ for the "safer" surgery but i went with the basic lasik procedure and like the mrs said i'm sure i could have driven home. total cost to my plan $1800

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dunno, if it was a pair of gloves I might risk the cheaper version. But it's your eyes ain't no second chances, I would pay any cost to reduce the risk.

I haven't heard to many people if any say they regret it. As soon as my benefits at work kick in and pay for it I will be getting it done.

As far as needing reading glasses, some forms of the correction make it so at an older age you will almost for sure need reading glasses, even if you wouldn't if you didn't have them corrected. But the way I see it, by the time I would need reading glasses they will have perfected it even better and i'm sure that won't be an issue. Small price to pay to for a lot of years of good vision.

One thing I will say is, I would go to ATLEAST two different places and make sure they agree on the right procedure. Most people with problems got the wrong one, or had a condition that it to risky and they shouldn't be getting ANY. It's rare, but some people aren't reccomended to get it at all.

shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dunno, if it was a pair of gloves I might risk the cheaper version. But it's your eyes ain't no second chances, I would pay any cost to reduce the risk.

I haven't heard to many people if any say they regret it. As soon as my benefits at work kick in and pay for it I will be getting it done.

As far as needing reading glasses, some forms of the correction make it so at an older age you will almost for sure need reading glasses, even if you wouldn't if you didn't have them corrected. But the way I see it, by the time I would need reading glasses they will have perfected it even better and i'm sure that won't be an issue. Small price to pay to for a lot of years of good vision.

One thing I will say is, I would go to ATLEAST two different places and make sure they agree on the right procedure. Most people with problems got the wrong one, or had a condition that it to risky and they shouldn't be getting ANY. It's rare, but some people aren't reccomended to get it at all.

i have actually met a few ppl who were recommended NOT to get it done due either to their age or their eyesight. reason why we went with the less cost is because we didnt need the additions (tear ducts installed), and because the insurance plan was paying for it, Clearly Lasik only charged what the plan covered and nothing above it.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have actually met a few ppl who were recommended NOT to get it done due either to their age or their eyesight. reason why we went with the less cost is because we didnt need the additions (tear ducts installed), and because the insurance plan was paying for it, Clearly Lasik only charged what the plan covered and nothing above it.

O yea that makes sense. I didn't know the details, but when I was researching it a LOT of people with problems were told they were not a good candidate and got it anyways. 99.something% chance of improving eyesight if they reccommend it I believe. The way it was worded I though it was a upcharge that was just less likely to have a complication and worsen eye sight.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Thanks, I was wondering about it when you have astigmatism, I drive for a living so can't be down for long. How long untill you were good to drive? Contacts work ok for me for sledding but indoors, dusty or in a vehicle with the heat on I only last about an hour and have to get them out.
I could have driven myself home!
They give you a presciption for drops and I only had to use them a few times in the first week or so.
About a year and a half since I got mine done and havent regretted it for a minute!!!

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had surgury done on my eyes 4 years ago... but I didn't have lasik... I had PRK. I had bad astigmatisms in both eyes... and I had a lot of trouble with dry eyes. I couldn't wear contacts because of the dry eyes so I went with the surgury. It cost me $3000, I had it done at the Abby clinic. It was very painful for 2 days.... i was basically bed bound for those days... and on drops to freeze my eyes continusly. They also put "plugs" in my tear ducts to prevent tears from draining away.... that worked fantastic!!!! One of the astigmatisms came back so i had to have it redone (no charge) after 1 year. When they did the touch up they made one eye slightly near sighted and one slightly far sighted, so i read with one eye and see distance with the other!!!

What a fantastic opperation!!! Totally happy with the way it turned out!!! :d

Last edited:

Technobee

Reaction score
If you have Blue Cross with that $500 health benefit plan- you can time your surgery so that you use two years($1000) to offset the cost!!

I had my surgery done October 2009- no regrets-I lost the ability to read small print(white pages are a little blurry)-$10.00 OTC glasses from any drug store-so what I loose them_i buy another pair.

As for people who said they lost night vision- depends on the person- my depth perception and night vision improved after surgery.

No more glasses, no more Saline or cleaning solutions- totally freedom

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. It sounds like most people are happy and they managed thru any problems they had. One last question - did your quality of vision (acutity) improve after surgery (better than using glasses or contacts before surgery) ?

Cheers:beer::beer::beer:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. It sounds like most people are happy and they managed thru any problems they had. One last question - did your quality of vision (acutity) improve after surgery (better than using glasses or contacts before surgery) ?

Cheers:beer::beer::beer:

Yes. I was legally blind without lenses in 2000. After my 6 month (or maybe 3 month...? been a while) checkup after my Lasik I was 20/10 and 20/15 (better than 20/20). Last year I was 20/15 and 20/20....so not bad for a person who was blind 10 years ago.

I actually really remember the first few months after surgery....with lenses (glasses and contacts) your clear vision is only where your eyes are looking. After the surgery, I was noticing clear "stuff" in my peripheral vision....I was amazed by looking at things that really shouldn't amaze me....like leaves blowing in trees 100 yeards away. Sounds wierd, but it was a real awakening of my sense of sight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom