Cleaning Exhaust Valves

TGS

Reaction score
Hey guys, a while back I came across a step by step procedure on cleaning exhaust valves complete with part numbers for gasket etc.

cant seem to find it now. Dont think i really need it, just dont want to miss anything.

can anyone point me in the right direction?

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is what I have saved on my computor from another site on doing the valves.
Small Block Polaris
Exhaust Valve Disassembly
1. Remove the vent hose from the base.
2. Remove the two horizontal cover fasteners securing the valve assembly to the cylinder. (#10)
3. Remove exhaust valve assembly from cylinder.
4. Remove the gasket and discard. Remove the two vertical cover screws to access the spring and bellows.
5. Secure the guillotine, then apply heat to remove the bellows cap nut. (to release the locktite on there... heat ONLY the nut)
6. Separate the cap nut, bellows and bellows washer from the guillotine.
7. Remove the guillotine from the base.
Exhaust Valve Assembly
1. Clean the threads of the guillotine with Primer N.
2. Insert the base into the clean guillotine.
3. Apply Loctite 2760 to the first 3 threads on the guillotine.
4. Place the bellows washer, bellows and cap nut onto the guillotine.
5. Torque the cap nut to specification

Exhaust Valve Cleaning
The exhaust valve guillotines must be cleaned to ensure maximum engine performance and throttle response.
1. Remove the vent hose from the EV base fitting.
2. Remove the two fasteners that secure the valve assembly to the cylinder, but not the two screws that secure the cover to the EV base.
3. Carefully extract the guillotine out of the cylinder. Discard the gasket.
4. Using a clean rag or shop towel, remove the oil residue from the cylinder, guillotine, and EV base.
5. Inspect the guillotine for signs of damage. Replace guillotine if damage is found, and inspect the cylinder and piston for damage.
6. Clean the guillotine with brake cleaner and a piece of fine steel wool. Clean only to remove hardened carbon deposits.
7. Once clean, rinse blade with mild detergent and water. Dry completely.
8. Install a new gasket, then reinstall the EV assembly. Apply Loctite 242 to the fastener threads, then torque to specification.
9. Reconnect the vent hose.

Top Bottom