Chatter in the Spring :)

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heading to chatter this weekend! Will be 4 of us and we're pretty experienced! If anyone wants to meet up on the hill for a nice cold brew let me know! Side note, can you camp in the parking lot at chatter? First time we have been there and don't really want to drive to golden every night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

in the past yes... now a days, not so much. the parking lot is small and there is a ton of people up there all week. Generally day trippers are double parking the guys there for the night. there is a big camping spot near the river that runs into kinbasket lake just before the bridge. It is about 2-3km before the trail head.

cschmidt17

Reaction score
in the past yes... now a days, not so much. the parking lot is small and there is a ton of people up there all week. Generally day trippers are double parking the guys there for the night. there is a big camping spot near the river that runs into kinbasket lake just before the bridge. It is about 2-3km before the trail head.

Ok perfect thanks!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heading to chatter this weekend! Will be 4 of us and we're pretty experienced! If anyone wants to meet up on the hill for a nice cold brew let me know! Side note, can you camp in the parking lot at chatter? First time we have been there and don't really want to drive to golden every night!

Define "pretty experienced" LOL

Chatter is cool but can still bite you in the ass, so just be careful if its your first time. Fill the truck up before you leave Golden, take lots of extra fuel and food, be prepared to meet people coming out and just know usually they are hauling ass so just take it easy on the blind corners. Its about a 2 hr drive and the road can be rough, take some extra gear if you can, I've slept in my truck on that road....even in April it was a cold night, hopefully "camping" means you have at least an enclosed trailer to sleep in.

Saw this avy a few years ago in there, and the forecast for the week calls for more solar heating until Friday and then some rain on sat (Could be snow up top there). Lots of guys have it as one of these "destination sled" things and they can get a little over their heads, have fun but use brains first and don't let the excitement overcome better judgement. The folks up there don't want an avy incident hanging over them and its a ways back if you need to get help. Sat phone is a good thing if you got one.

Attachments

• April 7 2008 025.jpg
    April 7 2008 025.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 358

cschmidt17

Reaction score
Define "pretty experienced" LOL

Chatter is cool but can still bite you in the ass, so just be careful if its your first time. Fill the truck up before you leave Golden, take lots of extra fuel and food, be prepared to meet people coming out and just know usually they are hauling ass so just take it easy on the blind corners. Its about a 2 hr drive and the road can be rough, take some extra gear if you can, I've slept in my truck on that road....even in April it was a cold night, hopefully "camping" means you have at least an enclosed trailer to sleep in.

Saw this avy a few years ago in there, and the forecast for the week calls for more solar heating until Friday and then some rain on sat (Could be snow up top there). Lots of guys have it as one of these "destination sled" things and they can get a little over their heads, have fun but use brains first and don't let the excitement overcome better judgement. The folks up there don't want an avy incident hanging over them and its a ways back if you need to get help. Sat phone is a good thing if you got one.

Haha! Should have worded "pretty experienced a little better"!

Let's say that we're just pretty good instead! Haha. And thanks for the tips there much appreciated, always pack lots of fuel with me at all times. I do have a sat phone just incase there is a hairy situation up there because you never know!

My group has a pretty solid brain before balls thinking! (I think anyways) haha.

Again thanks for tips!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is cell service in Oyster bowl.. Wierdest thing.

And the parking lot is out of bounds for campers.. It's a tight parking area and we double park ourselves when we are there.

There is camping down at the bottom of the road by the creek.

Feeze

Reaction score
Best ride ever today in Chatter! So busy riding getting unstuck could even take pictures. Love this place!

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best ride ever today in Chatter! So busy riding getting unstuck could even take pictures. Love this place!

Didnt think their was any snow in the forecast, left last monday. Where were you riding that you got stuck?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was gonna say carbide deep pow

That about sums it up, if you were getting stuck in it, there was something wrong with your sled. A few good inches of new stuff but not waist deep by any stretch.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We saw in the upper elevations today 18 inches of blown in accumulations.. Hard crust and heavy snow on top. I would say 12 inches easy up top.
The best day of sledding for me this season.

That about sums it up, if you were getting stuck in it, there was something wrong with your sled. A few good inches of new stuff but not waist deep by any stretch.

Top Bottom